SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-10-07, 03:40 PM   #1
metalmonkey

Default Micron Paddock stand

I am probally be a bit dim here but here goes.....

Right I put the frame togther, put the wheels on, now just putting the rubber bits that go on under the swing arm....

I take it that these are meant to be tigh as possiable right? I put on the inside of the frame, so I think thats right? I'm not the most techincal person and err teaching myself. Want to make sure I got this right before the bike goes on the stand.

Thanks.
Old 11-10-07, 09:22 AM   #2
metalmonkey

Default Re: Micron Paddock stand

anyone?
Old 11-10-07, 09:59 AM   #3
aarond

I have a bobbin kit with my paddock stand(so i may be wrong) and i feel happier with that, you put the rubber bits that go under the swing arm on the inside of the paddock stand frame. As for how tight, the bobbin hooks are put on with a starlock washer and for putting on i didnt put the hooks so they couldn't move but tight enough so they starlock washer didnt fall off. So i think you would be in a similar case, the rubber bits would need to rotate ( otherwise lifting bike would be very difficult) however push/hit on the stralock washer so its not goin to fall off and check it regularly. hope this helps.
Old 11-10-07, 10:00 AM   #4
aarond

p.s also may help when lifting it for the first time that there is someone else there so if anything goes wrong can stop the bike from falling.
Old 11-10-07, 10:38 AM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Any chance you can take a picture of which bit you're refering to as I'm not sure.

I've got a Micron stand with cups not hooks and bobbins and the rubber bits you're talking about should sit inside the cup that the swing arm sits in when on the stand, if thats what you're refering to.

The cups are'nt particularly tight on the swing arm when you have the bike on it, but thats OK as it makes it easier to line up the cups so that the swingarms rest inside the cups.

If you've got a grabrail on your bike, line up the cups with your right hand whilst holding onto the bike with the grab rail, makes it really easy to do it by yourself as you'll find you can hold the bike on the balance point with one hand on the grab rail quite easily, there is bit of knack to it, its probably a good idea as said for the first time to get somebody to help you.

If you dont have a grab rail, take the seat cowl off and grab hold of the bracket that the seat cowl mount points are on, as thats just as good as the grab rail.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 11:44 AM   #6
mattglavin

I have a paddock stand with the flat attachments that go under the swing arm. My bike fell off of these plus it was hard to get them past the rear brake caliper. The other day I invested in bobbins and put the hoock attachments onto the stand. This has made it much simpler to lidt the rear and it is also 100% more stable !!
Old 11-10-07, 11:55 AM   #7
Pedro68

I bought an Oxford rear paddock stand and it DOES tend to slide around - up and down the swingarm (probably more through luck than judgement that it hasn't come off so far!). I have bought the hooks and bobbins also and will start using them.

However, one of the guys from a local bike shop said they wrap the "blocks" in foam and tape as this stops the stand from sliding along the swingarm and also (should it move) it should also prevent any unsightly marks being left on the swingarm.

Pete
Old 11-10-07, 08:16 PM   #8
metalmonkey

I took some pictures of the stand hope that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sstand 1.jpg (93.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg stand 3.jpg (72.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg stand 4.jpg (73.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-10-07, 08:57 PM   #9
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Pics look right to me.The rubber bits should be able to rotate and move in and out so that they can be the right distance apart to sit under the swingarm.Not as easy as it looks on the curvy as the brake caliper and hose get in the way.
Old 12-10-07, 11:56 AM   #10
jambo
Mega Poster

The metal washer things are there to stop the cups being able to come out of the stand. They should be near the end of the shaft so the cups can move in and out to fit different width swingarms.

I'd 2nd what others have said and try to get hold of bobins and hooks as they're more stable, but I used rubber cups for a year or so without major issue.