PDA

View Full Version : 33bhp restriction - certificate necessary?

ryangarside
25-07-10, 04:38 PM
just bought myself a carb sv650, its insured mot'd and taxed but on my lisence im supposed to be restricted to 33bhp, is there a certificate or anything similar that comes with a restriction kit to present to insurers/ police? coz i dont fancy getting more points on my lisence.. lol any help much appreciated :) tah

barwel1992
25-07-10, 04:40 PM
get it dyno'd and get the print out with your reg and frame number printed on it and signed buy the place that did the dyno to verify it.

you dont need a cert by law but it help

ryangarside
25-07-10, 04:44 PM
ahhh cheeers! :P big help as a friend has a dyno, will get it done there cheap me thinks :) cheers :)

mjc
25-07-10, 04:49 PM
If you get a new kit fitted by a dealer you'll get a certificate with it. You'll also get financially shafted.

General consensus is that legally you dont need one. In my experience neither insurers or the police have been at all interested in the state of restriction of my bike. Other peoples experiences may differ...

barwel1992
25-07-10, 04:50 PM
^ mostly the case, although my insurers at the time wanted prof

ryangarside
25-07-10, 05:02 PM
gonna stil get a printout just in case but not gonna cost me anythin, gonna make a restrictor in the garage with some ally plate, and then get a printout just incase and ride roudn unrestricted :)

barwel1992
25-07-10, 05:42 PM
^ shh dont tell them that they will bite your head off .... i know lol

mikerj
25-07-10, 06:03 PM
gonna stil get a printout just in case but not gonna cost me anythin, gonna make a restrictor in the garage with some ally plate, and then get a printout just incase and ride roudn unrestricted :)

Irrespective of other peoples feelings on this, it's really not a very clever thing to say on a public forum.

husky03
25-07-10, 06:05 PM
read this- its llllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnn nnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=150503&highlight=restriction

Tomcatracing
25-07-10, 07:54 PM
FWIW, this has been discussed at some length on another forum I use: www.therevcounter.com (http://www.therevcounter.com)

Some cops and ex-cops contributed and the general consensus is:

The certificates are meaningless
Going through FI International is a massive rip-off
If you use cheapie restrictor washers off eBlag and the cops stop you, they may want to dyno test your bike (as they did to one bloke and damaged his bike, case ongoing)
If you have a dyno sheet with you the chances are they will accept that (unless they are real barstewards).
The insurance bods don't care (yes really!)

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2009/November/nov1309-The-33bhp-certificate-rip-off/

mikerj
25-07-10, 09:20 PM
The insurance bods don't care (yes really!)

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2009/November/nov1309-The-33bhp-certificate-rip-off/

That article says they don't care about the certificate, which is a very reasonable stance to take as they prove nothing. I'm quite sure they would be happy to wiggle their way out of a claim if they found a bike was claimed to be restricted and was not...

Jayneflakes
25-07-10, 09:32 PM
My Insurance did not even bother asking, we actually told the broker that I ride it restricted and the other half does not (pointy, so just swap ECU). The Insurance people just said cool and gave us the cover. No one asked to see proof and of they do, we have ECU numbers for them.

Not having it restricted is naughty though if you have a restricted license and does also invalidate your insurance as far as I understand it. The answer, do not crash into anyone and don't get caught speeding. :D

metalhead19
25-07-10, 10:02 PM
None of the insurance companies i have used have asked for any proof of restriction. And Jayne, surely if you ride unrestricted on a restricted license it invalidates your insurance and your license!?

Tomcatracing
26-07-10, 03:01 PM
That article says they don't care about the certificate, which is a very reasonable stance to take as they prove nothing. I'm quite sure they would be happy to wiggle their way out of a claim if they found a bike was claimed to be restricted and was not...

Well, yes, that's certainly true. They would care very much if you had an accident while riding unrestricted. But the word from a friend who works in motor claims is unless the accident appears to be directly related to the power of the bike they won't worry about a bhp here or there.

Jayneflakes
26-07-10, 04:11 PM
Jayne, surely if you ride unrestricted on a restricted license it invalidates your insurance and your license!?

Absolutely, it is for this reason, I always have to remember to swap the black box back over when Carol and I have been out together. #-o

I think they do nasty mean things to you if they catch you doing it. I personally do not do such a thing, but I am aware of others who have or do ride like this. I leave it up to them to think about their actions. :bom:

barwel1992
26-07-10, 04:28 PM
i hope my dyno sheet when i take my bike for a dyno comes out at 33bhp im a bit sceptical because of the mods

Tomcatracing
26-07-10, 05:35 PM
i hope my dyno sheet when i take my bike for a dyno comes out at 33bhp im a bit sceptical because of the mods

Just smile sweetly at the dyno operator and tell them what reading you want, they'll get it for you ;)

barwel1992
26-07-10, 05:59 PM
lol i have the 33bhp chip but with exhaust velocity stacks, filter and cut snorkle it could just push over 33bhp

at the same time i want the full power ecu tuned lol