PDA

View Full Version : SV chain oiler

embee
27-03-11, 05:32 PM
OK, so I got bored and started playing.

I fitted a Scottoiler some years ago with the feed onto the side of the g/box sprocket, and while the oil did find its way across it was always wetter ones side than the other.

So I made up this gizmo to suply the oil to both sides, and strategically to the rollers and O-rings directly.

The feed is from the Scottoiler, using the normal black capillary pipe to regulate the drips, but it passes down a bent steel tube directing it into the "collector".

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/Hi-vis/Bikes/IMG_4528Small.jpg

The oil is centrifuged down the cone to the sprocket, where it goes into radial slots. Half of them go straight to the roller positions on the outboard side, one per roller, the other half stop short and match up with holes drilled through the sprocket. The sprocket is case hardened but HSS drill bits seem to go through it OK. It is a 16T, and although it is stamped 520 it is actually a 525.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/Hi-vis/Bikes/IMG_4488Small.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/Hi-vis/Bikes/IMG_4485Small.jpg

These then feed a groove with another set of slots feeding the inboard side. There is a rib round the circumference which lines up with the O-rings, so in theory some oil goes onto the sprocket/roller and some goes onto the O-ring between the sideplates. The side flanges might help keep the oil directed to the chain, keeping the wind off it a bit (maybe, that's the thought anyways).

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/Hi-vis/Bikes/IMG_4491Small.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh268/Hi-vis/Bikes/IMG_4498Small.jpg

All very OTT, but it keeps me off the streets. It seems to work well, the flow can be turned right down because the oil gets delivered right to where it's needed so keeps the fling to a minimum. I think if I counted my time it would cost more than the bike is worth!

Just food for thought.

Bibio
27-03-11, 06:01 PM
thats pure genius m8. i like it can i have one... please with sprinkles on :-)

jambo
28-03-11, 04:14 PM
Embee, while that may be the most over-engineered solution ever, it looks beautiful!

Jambo

caz650s
28-03-11, 06:22 PM
Patent it quickly !

Nice work .... :cool:

You are much more an engineer than me .... but be aware that the bolt that you are using to hold the steel delivery tube to the clutch screw mechanism ? have a habit of shearing the heads off .. they seem to be made of the same stuff they made matchbox cars out of ! on my sv's I always replaced them with better quality bolts.

Owenski
28-03-11, 07:25 PM
+1 get a patent. In fact... remove this thread then get a patent, then re post the thread once you've got the patent.

1000points for effort and achievement. you should get this on trial with a few forum members, for some market feedback then look at getting it sold. There are pounds to be made there my friend.

Nick_69
28-03-11, 08:03 PM
+1 get a patent. In fact... remove this thread then get a patent, then re post the thread once you've got the patent.

1000points for effort and achievement. you should get this on trial with a few forum members, for some market feedback then look at getting it sold. There are pounds to be made there my friend.

+1 on that

FG1
28-03-11, 09:30 PM
Can I have one please.
Want me to test it for you ............ please............pretty please.

Berlin
28-03-11, 09:58 PM
Superb+

I'd go and talk to scotoiler about licencing this to them. before you utter a word, get them to sign a non disclosure agreement stating that any designs or ideas discussed in the meeting cannot be used without licencing.

delete this thread though, till they sign the non disclosure agreement.

You've potentially got a gold mine on your hands... Worldwide!

C

aaron020873
28-03-11, 10:16 PM
Mint idea!!

Specialone
29-03-11, 06:18 AM
Top work dude, I like that :)

Now where is that number for motrax ? ;)

Tom_the_great
29-03-11, 07:44 AM
bloody awsome idea !!! echo tho above and fast !!!

i was just talkin to owenski about a cleaner way to keep the chain lube from flyin everywhere !

+1 on the test list

DavieSV
29-03-11, 09:47 AM
Fantastic idea & brilliant workmanship :D
I'm very impressed.

Icanopit
29-03-11, 11:07 AM
Embee, lock it in to your name "quickley" remember what happened with Fixapeg recently!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! work nicely in alloys or plastic.
CONGRATULATIONS

AndyBrad
29-03-11, 11:52 AM
i like, agreed it may seem daft but get your idea locked down!

DaveW_42
29-03-11, 12:09 PM
Fantastic piece of engineering. +1 to the patent though. You could retire soon!

Bibio
29-03-11, 01:26 PM
i have a question.. would just drilling the holes in the sprocket at the desired spacings not have the same effect?

embee
29-03-11, 03:00 PM
Cheers for all the comments.

I'm sure it could be simplified in detail and still get most of the effect, and as suggested plastic mouldings would be the way to go, tooling doesn't come cheap though.

I did wonder about just cross-drilling the sprocket (Bibio) to "allow" oil through if it felt like it, but it was as much an interesting making exercise as anything, a good excuse to dig out the dividing head on the lathe!

I know from experience that development of these things can consume an inordinate amount of time, making, fitting, trying out etc. Sometimes you just go for one design and if it works then fine.

I reckon it could be incorporated into the rubber damping rings used on OE sprockets...........oops, another idea gone! #-o

As for patenting, I've seen similar types of things before, if you look back at stuff done for steam engines there's a lot of common ideas there, plus it's too late once published anyway. Registering is different I guess.

If I ever simplify it enough to make it viable to offer trial versions I'll let you all know! Otherwise, normal Motrax service will be resumed shortly...

Lozzo
30-03-11, 10:59 AM
I'm happy to inform you that word in the trade is Motrax will almost certainly never trade again, and nor will any Frank Thomas group companies. I am very happy about that

DavieSV
30-03-11, 11:00 AM
:d :d :d :d :d

Berlin
30-03-11, 11:23 AM
Could this not just be simplified down to two shaped washers that bolt on, using the sprocket nut, either side of the sprocket so they can be fitted without the need for drilling?

Sold as a set of washers you can fit yourself in minutes to any sprocket, would be a real winner.

and just stamp them into shape.

C

embee
30-03-11, 05:26 PM
Pressings had sprung to my mind after pondering it for a bit, I'm sure it's viable and probably quite attractive from the material point of view, after all there's nothing needing ultra precision in it. Tooling would probably be quite reasonable though you still need different tools for each sprocket size. The pressings could be aluminium which would probably mean cheaper tooling still, in fact probably DIY-able with a small fly-press, and very quick cycle times.

You do still need holes through the sprocket to get the oil from the feed side (outboard) to the inboard side but probably not as many as I used (half are oil transfer, half are for fixings).

Any other ideas, folks? :-k

AndyBrad
30-03-11, 07:29 PM
yes, do away with the 2 sided thing alltogether and make it a nice,cheap oiler that doesnt need much maintenance? looks like a winner to me. :D