PDA

View Full Version : RIDE OUT - Sunday 3rd April

Pages : [1] 2

BillyC
16-03-05, 03:08 PM
Well everyone, it seems we've selected a date for our start-of-season SelKent Rideout! :D

Sunday 3rd April

As an outline, I propose the following route:

- Oakdene Cafe (Brekky)
- Rye
- Horam (Wessons Cafe)
- Haywards Heath
- Billingshurst
- Box Hill

About 150 miles, across 3 counties.

I think this can incorporate some of our favourite roads... such as anything near Rye; the A29. If there's sufficient demand, we can also detour slightly to include the A267 from Tunbridge Wells to East Grinstead (the road I got flattened on) or the A22 from Boship where Tim got flung off.

So... sign up here! :lol: \:D/ :riding:

Iansv
16-03-05, 03:23 PM
Providing bike is still in one piece by then I should be there

Flamin_Squirrel
16-03-05, 03:27 PM
Rideout \:D/

Itching 2 go
16-03-05, 03:36 PM
Sounds good to me I wonder if the phantom will appear?

Aurora
16-03-05, 03:38 PM
I should be there - probably only part of the route

- Oakdene Cafe (Brekky)
- Rye
- Horam (Wessons Cafe)

But I'll still be the one at the back! That hairpin at Winchelsea scares me silly. :oops:

EDIT - Bugger just realised I'll be in Belgium on the VFR rideout, so I can't make, will have to meet up with you lot some other time.

lynw
16-03-05, 03:44 PM
count me in.... what route down to rye you planning? a21 and left at flimwell?

BillyC
16-03-05, 03:44 PM
From what I've read today, it looks like we're in for some pleasant spring weather over the next few weeks.

I do hope that our outing will coincide with this, as well as lots of other opportunities for a blast in the countryside!

BillyC
16-03-05, 03:52 PM
count me in.... what route down to rye you planning? a21 and left at flimwell?

No way... plenty of more challenging routes! :twisted: Plus that's a bit off course. Probably something via Tenterden or St Michael's, which gives us some nice open roads to go on, with relatively little traffic.

Left at Flimwell would send us hurtling into the Hawkhurst country, and through a string of little villages, with little opportunity to get going in between.

Viney
16-03-05, 04:22 PM
The 3rd! Who chose this date, why wasnt we consulted ;)

In all honesty doubt if i'll be there, sorry.

Yeah, oakdeane, maidstone, tenterden, Canal road into Rye, then rye, hastings, eastbourne, A267 to wessons, A272/A24 to box Nice route Billy :D

Aurora
16-03-05, 04:45 PM
The 3rd! Who chose this date, why wasnt we consulted ;)

In all honesty doubt if i'll be there, sorry.

Yeah, oakdeane, maidstone, tenterden, Canal road into Rye, then rye, hastings, eastbourne, A267 to wessons, A272/A24 to box Nice route Billy :D

virtually past my front door

svsk2
16-03-05, 05:41 PM
Bugger! Can't make this one. S*&t, f%$k, p%*s!

rictus01
16-03-05, 05:41 PM
Maybe,as it's between Brands BSB on the 28th and Thruxton on the 10th, I've no plans for that date as yet (although WSB is on live that evening/morning on eurosport).

Cheers Mark

Rider
17-03-05, 10:52 PM
Billy boy - count me in - tks for organising.

Cx

Sudoxe
20-03-05, 08:43 PM
Sounds good. Need someone to show me the way to Oakadine though

Dan

Mr Toad
20-03-05, 08:50 PM
probably be there
may even have a pillion :o

REEVESIE
20-03-05, 08:55 PM
I really, reallly, really wanna come BUT Brands BSB is on and I wanna go to that too and my better half won't have it, not seeing her or son for two days so I had to bargain with her.

HOW SAD IS THAT!!! :notworthy:

So I can only go to one event and as I get into brands for free :D that was my choice sorry.

The more I read what I have just typed the more henpecked I feel :makelurve: :kiss: :help: :oops:

rictus01
20-03-05, 09:33 PM
I really, reallly, really wanna come BUT Brands BSB is on and I wanna go to that too and my better half won't have it, not seeing her or son for two days so I had to bargain with her.

HOW SAD IS THAT!!! :notworthy:

So I can only go to one event and as I get into brands for free :D that was my choice sorry.

The more I read what I have just typed the more henpecked I feel :makelurve: :kiss: :help: :oops:

Brands is the weekend before (28th), not the 3rd.

chutz
20-03-05, 11:28 PM
Well everyone, it seems we've selected a date for our start-of-season SelKent Rideout! :D

Sunday 3rd April

As an outline, I propose the following route:

- Oakdene Cafe (Brekky)
- Rye
- Horam (Wessons Cafe)
- Haywards Heath
- Billingshurst
- Box Hill

About 150 miles, across 3 counties.

I think this can incorporate some of our favourite roads... such as anything near Rye; the A29. If there's sufficient demand, we can also detour slightly to include the A267 from Tunbridge Wells to East Grinstead (the road I got flattened on) or the A22 from Boship where Tim got flung off.

So... sign up here! :lol: \:D/ :riding:

Can we do the wadhurst to Frant road where i fell off too ? :lol:

I will be there dude at some stage. New bars and stuff fitted too hopefully. :lol:

BillyC
21-03-05, 09:19 AM
Chutney,

glad to hear it mate... if you need a hand this coming weekend, let me know and we'll arrange it. If all goes to plan, I should have my back end in bits too. :roll:

SV2win
21-03-05, 09:32 AM
Im up for that rideout, what time are you meeting at the Oakdene?

mattyhorn
22-03-05, 11:44 AM
:P Gonna try to make it. Getting really bored commuting on the duke, REALLY need to give it a blast.

matty

Swiss
22-03-05, 09:16 PM
Sounds good billy boy, I plan to be there.

Thanks for organising it.

BillyC
24-03-05, 09:43 AM
Looks like we're going to have a good turn out, I hope the weather is at least dry!

I'll fine-tune the route this weekend, and get a map up for folks to download. Will probably also print out a few copies for the day. I might PM a few of you who I know are vaguely familiar with the area and roads to be routemasters, and make sure everyone flows in the right direction. :lol:

Moriarty
28-03-05, 01:36 PM
Hello all. I'm not a SelKenter but can I come too?

If I need to provide any credentials, I was brought up in Etchingham and Hurst Green.

I may need directing to Oakdene though - are you free to be a tourguide on the way down Billy?

Also, this would be my first proper rideout (if you don't count riding from Soho to the Bridge on a friday night), so I hope I'll be able to 'pop my cherry' with all you lovely people.

BillyC
29-03-05, 07:26 AM
Matt,

course you can mate... The Oakdene is easy to find, and I'm sure there will be plenty of people heading down from London. Not sure if I'll be with them, but will let you know what my plans are.

Jdubya
29-03-05, 08:19 AM
What time will everyone be leaving the Oakdene at? :?:

chutz
29-03-05, 05:48 PM
Chutney,

glad to hear it mate... if you need a hand this coming weekend, let me know and we'll arrange it. If all goes to plan, I should have my back end in bits too. :roll:

Cheers dude...may just do that. See ya soon 8)

Rider
30-03-05, 10:56 AM
Hi guys - I'll be part of the crew going from London to Oakdene. Let me know who else is going from London and we can hook up and ride out together.

If it rains, I shan't make it however.

C

Moriarty
30-03-05, 12:34 PM
Im going from London (Islington). I'm more than happy to meet up with people on the way especially those who know the way to the Oakdene cafe.

Anyone wants to meet up at my gaff, PM me and Ill send details. I have a coffee pot and it's likely to be full for at least 5 mins.

Itching 2 go
30-03-05, 12:42 PM
Hi guys - I'll be part of the crew going from London to Oakdene. Let me know who else is going from London and we can hook up and ride out together.

CIshall be going from croydon but the question is do i go to boxhill or oakdene? was box hill even an option

Viney
30-03-05, 01:14 PM

CIshall be going from croydon but the question is do i go to boxhill or oakdene? was box hill even an option

No, Box was never an option. I may even turn up. Dont look like im going to sell the bike before then :(

U.K.Ajay
30-03-05, 02:26 PM
Looks like I can make it, :lol: what time do you think you will be at Wessons as I will meet you all there.

Alec

Viney
30-03-05, 02:29 PM
Looks like I can make it, :lol: what time do you think you will be at Wessons as I will meet you all there.

Alec

What!! You can walk to wessons, so its not exactly, Making it now, is it ;)

U.K.Ajay
30-03-05, 02:34 PM
I only said I was coming because you said you might come out of retirement!

What!! You can walk to wessons, so its not exactly, Making it now, is it

I was thinking of riding on from Wessons not just coming out for brekkie! Although you can't beat brekkie at Wessons :lol:

Viney
30-03-05, 02:35 PM
I only said I was coming because you said you might come out of retirement!

What!! You can walk to wessons, so its not exactly, Making it now, is it

I was thinking of riding on from Wessons not just coming out for brekkie! Although you can't beat brekkie at Wessons :lol:

Brekkie is at the Oakdeane, i think its going to be more like afternoon tea at wessons. Do they still shut at 4 on a Sunday?

Iansv
30-03-05, 03:03 PM
don't think i'll be making it, not worth the risk till bike is sorted

Jdubya
30-03-05, 03:29 PM
Has anyone decided on a time :?: or have I just missed it somewhere? :oops: :oops:

U.K.Ajay
30-03-05, 03:45 PM
Brekkie is at the Oakdeane, i think its going to be more like afternoon tea at wessons. Do they still shut at 4 on a Sunday?

Opps read the route wrong, thought you were doing Oakdene, Wessons, Rye, not Oakdene all over the place plus Rye, Wessons! #-o

I will work out some place to meet you, I have to drop off my son at babysitter first so will not make Oakdene for Brekkie.

Billy whats the route? And start time?

BillyC
30-03-05, 08:09 PM
Right...

I've done the route, which I'll post details about later. But in summary it goes something like this:

START: Oakdene
Seven Mile Lane, then turn off to Yalding
Lanes to Lamberhurst
Lanes to Goudhurst, Cranbrook etc.
Military Road into Rye
<Break at Rye>
A268 from Rye to Hawkhurst
Hawkhurst to A21 via lanes
... to Wessons
<Break at Wessons>
Wessons to A272... all the way West to Billings hurst
A29 to A24
FINISH: Box Hill

It's about 150 miles, so may need shortening. I don't want us to be in a rush, so I guess the last bit is optional :lol:

Let's aim to leave the Oakdene by 10:30am. For those that want to get there early for breakfast, it's open from 6am.

Rye by lunchtime...
... Wessons for early teatime....

... and then Box Hill for those who've nothing better to do.

Will post the route pics later.

TSM
30-03-05, 09:02 PM
don't think i'll be making it, not worth the risk till bike is sorted

have we got rictus arround?

Just bring the silicone sealant with you, and some oil.

BillyC
30-03-05, 09:10 PM
Right everyone... DIRECTIONS! (http://www.feelthecheese.com/selkent)

Apologies for the filesizes on the images, but always nice to have clear maps!

Any comments let me know, I've timetabled good stops at Rye and Wessons!

For those who aren't sure... the Oakdene is here (http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&db=pc&cidr_client=none&lang=&pc=TN157RJ&advanced=&client=public&addr2=&quicksearch=TN15+7RJ&addr3=&addr1=)

Sid Squid
30-03-05, 11:33 PM
Can't come, we'll be at the Pod this weekend trying to make this go fast.

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/SidSquid/aine.jpg

rictus01
30-03-05, 11:37 PM
Can't come, we'll be at the Pod this weekend trying to make this go fast.

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/SidSquid/aine.jpg

which one :oops: (well someone had to)

lynw
30-03-05, 11:51 PM
Probably be in bed when you guys are at the oakdene.... but may come down and meet you in Rye...

had a quick look earlier... possibly if I get the timing right I could come down the a28 :D :D or Ill just go via brenzett and do the nice twisties in from camber... :D :D

subject to me not crashing bike :oops: :roll:

Suki
31-03-05, 07:19 AM
What's the ETA at Box Hill??

sexysi
31-03-05, 02:18 PM
Sorry not this one, it's my niece's 1st birthday party, so I will be partying all day instead.
sexysi

Sid Squid
31-03-05, 09:27 PM
which one :oops: (well someone had to)

Well as it stands the dragster is suffering a horrendous misfire, cause uncertain, so it won't be that unless an improvement is provoked.

But I'm gonna tell Mrs Squid you said that anyway. :lol:

BillyC
31-03-05, 11:33 PM
Weather Update
Things are looking good folks! The more the merrier! :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=1769

Itching 2 go
01-04-05, 10:55 AM
What's the ETA at Box Hill??dunno but why dont you meet us at oakdene

jambo
01-04-05, 11:18 AM
count me in 8)

The bandit could have used some TLC on sunday, but caning the hell out of it ought to ammount to pretty much the same thing..... :lol:

Treacle
01-04-05, 05:09 PM
LMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stig
02-04-05, 12:49 PM
I do believe that I will also be in attendance. It's 100 miles to the start point for me so can I confirm that the start time is 10 am at TN15 7RJ :?:

Flamin_Squirrel
02-04-05, 02:12 PM
I do believe that I will also be in attendance. It's 100 miles to the start point for me so can I confirm that the start time is 10 am at TN15 7RJ :?:

Hardcore 8)

Yes, that's the place.

Stig
02-04-05, 04:15 PM
Thanks, see you there. \:D/

SV2win
02-04-05, 04:17 PM
No longer gonna be able to make it. :cry: Tyres are well past the illegal stage, but even more dangerous would be telling the girlfriend i could not see her as i have arranged to go out with her without thinking about what was goin on. :crutches: Bo11ock$!!! :hackedoff:

lynw
02-04-05, 04:23 PM
No to me at oakdene... but I may still catch up with you in Rye. On jackpot.

Just been to bats and they told me to check for a crack in the casing on the SV to explain why oils leaking.... just got back and checked....

lo and behold.... theres a crack running from the top across.... would also explain why its only bad when the bikes running... :?

Stig
02-04-05, 04:27 PM
Strange, when I looked yesterday, I hadn't noticed that. Only that it seemed to be leaking from the bottom three bolts. Are you sure you havn't thown it down the road again :?: :?: maybe in your sleep :roll:

lynw
02-04-05, 04:35 PM
hahahahahahaha funny..... not.... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

no theres clearly a crack running from the top across to one side.... well its clear in daylight and after a damn good clean and while the bikes cold.

Probably wasnt clear if oil was there because bike was hot yesterday when you looked at it - it would have expanded so probably why it wasnt clear then... also probably cos I didnt think to look for a crack in the casing.... :?

Itching 2 go
02-04-05, 04:46 PM
use gaffa tape, it would be fine ;)

TSM
02-04-05, 06:58 PM
ide say insulation tape over crack (make sure area is clean and dry) then gaffa over that.

Otherwise go and get some epoxy, sand down the crack, put epoxy over the crack.

TSM
02-04-05, 07:08 PM
Whos comming up through Lewisham/NewCross?

Viney
02-04-05, 10:58 PM
ide say insulation tape over crack (make sure area is clean and dry) then gaffa over that.

Otherwise go and get some epoxy, sand down the crack, put epoxy over the crack. ](*,) Do you know how much pressure is in the crankcase? No, didnt think so. You have a real good possibilty to split the case completely and killing the engine.

Lyn, just ride jackpot babe.

rictus01
02-04-05, 11:21 PM

Otherwise go and get some epoxy, sand down the crack, put epoxy over the crack.

Errr, NO!

As the cases are alloy, don't even try a "home repair".

Lyn if you've got a digi camera and could take a couple of pic's, I 'll see what I can do, if not you could show me on one of the SV's tomorrow.

Cheers Mark.

TSM
02-04-05, 11:59 PM

Otherwise go and get some epoxy, sand down the crack, put epoxy over the crack. ](*,) Do you know how much pressure is in the crankcase? No, didnt think so. You have a real good possibilty to split the case completely and killing the engine.

Ok,Ok I was not the first one to say tape it up.

Itching 2 go
03-04-05, 08:15 AM

Ok,Ok I was not the first one to say tape it up.your right but everybody knows I'm not serious and have a bit of mechanical knowledge. also have a look at the post and you will see a wink! :D

lynw
03-04-05, 02:32 PM
so the wink by the nice new avatar comment meant what then Joe? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh, nice to see you guys... nice to meet you chutz and jdubya... and the other guy on the black sv whos name I didnt get....

oh and how Id forgotten how good that back road from rye - camber - lydd was... the brenzett - brookland - rye roads good but.... god Im grinning ear to ear... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: even on the honda... :lol: :lol: :lol:

coombest
03-04-05, 02:49 PM
oh, nice to see you guys... nice to meet you chutz and jdubya... and the other guy on the black sv whos name I didnt get....

I would imagine that was Alec (UK Ajay)... At least he rides a black SV and was there!!

It was indeed a good day, I just wish people would remember to keep the person behind them in sight and to show the way that the others went if there are any deviations from a straight line!

It would also have been nice if people had waited for Rider & I to get petrol at Rye! I only know that way from Wessons to Rye and not from Rye to Wessons, which is why we took a bit longer than expected to get to Wessons!

I have left the others to head down the A272 as I'm in a fair bit of pain in my wrists now - in fact, I'm in a hell of a lot of pain but I'm sure it's nothing a few drinks won't help!

Good to see paople again & I look forward to more of the same!

lynw
03-04-05, 02:59 PM
hey take it easy Tim.... hope the pains gone by wednesday... :D

Sudoxe
03-04-05, 05:35 PM
It was indeed a good day, I just wish people would remember to keep the person behind them in sight and to show the way that the others went if there are any deviations from a straight line!

Yes, i agree. And NOT sit at a junction point them in the wrong direction, let them go and then just **** off by themselves.

Wednesday I will be giving a practical demonstation on how to dismantle a yellow curvey sv, with a number of tools, two of them being a large hammer and an even bigger axe. Watch out, i might have your brakepads in my hands or drain your oil before you ride off :evil: :evil: :evil:

Not a bad day apart from that, i know i was the slowest rider in the group, but if your going to wait and point the way, point in the right direction! ](*,) otherwise just ride off, you aint no fscking use there!

Oh and dont look at road signs while your about to enter a corner at 45, you end up on the wrong side of the road with traffic coming towards you. :oops: :cry: :shock: Lesson Learnt.

Anyway I covered 233.3 miles.

Motorcycling is like sex, good fun, can be dangerious, you can take risks, but after 10hours doing it, things start to get a bit sore!

Dan

lynw
03-04-05, 05:54 PM
not encouraging me to attend the next one other than at meet points... :?

jonboy
03-04-05, 05:55 PM
Motorcycling is like sex, good fun, can be dangerious, you can take risks, but after 10hours doing it, things start to get a bit sore!

Dan you surprise me and I'm also suitably impressed. You'll have to let on your olympian technique on Friday :wink: :lol: .

Viney
03-04-05, 06:11 PM

Yes, i agree. And NOT sit at a junction point them in the wrong direction, let them go and then just f*ck off by themselves.

Wednesday I will be giving a practical demonstation on how to dismantle a yellow curvey sv, with a number of tools, two of them being a large hammer and an even bigger axe. Watch out, i might have your brakepads in my hands or drain your oil before you ride off :evil: :evil: :evil:

Not a bad day apart from that, i know i was the slowest rider in the group, but if your going to wait and point the way, point in the right direction! ](*,) otherwise just ride off, you aint no fscking use there!

Oh and dont look at road signs while your about to enter a corner at 45, you end up on the wrong side of the road with traffic coming towards you. :oops: :cry: :shock: Lesson Learnt.

Dan

Er, what about the people that do wait for you???

Sudoxe
03-04-05, 06:17 PM
Yep, sorry. Cheers viney much apriciated :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: top man! I'll buy you a panda pop on wednesday!

Its just somone waiting then pointing me in the wrong direction that annoied me. (And it wasnt you!)

rictus01
03-04-05, 06:25 PM
Here are the pic's taken today.

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-1.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-2.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-3.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-4.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-5.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-6.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-7.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-8.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-8.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-9.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-10.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-11.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-12.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-13.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-14.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-16.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-17.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-18.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-19.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-20.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-21.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-22.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-23.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-24.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-25.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-26.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-27.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-28.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-29.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-30.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-31.jpg

http://www.bureaunet.com/FTP/Rictus/3.4.5-32.jpg

Cheers Mark

Jdubya
03-04-05, 06:39 PM
Nice pics Mark!
Most of your bike :wink: ...but nice pics anyway!

Would have liked to have made it to box-hill :cry: :cry: but time and getting lost sort of made the decision for me! Nice to meet everyone (my memory's like a sieve so I dont expect to remember many names next time) and my wrists are like fire, but a great day had nonetheless. :thumbsup:

Just one comment (and please dont take this the wrong way :( ) but I really do think the pace was a little bit fast after the fuel stop...especially with the traffic and not too many of us knowing the route. Perhaps next time we could split into a fast group and slower group with people in each group aware of the route. *rant over*

Really good day though!

Thanks for organising Billy! :D :D :D :D :thumbsup:

Sudoxe
03-04-05, 07:10 PM
Also thanks for Rictus, billy and everyone else who stopped, to point out the right direction, people to catch up etc. Good Work! =D>

Dan

Jdubya
03-04-05, 07:11 PM
Also thanks for Rictus,Viney, billy and everyone else who stopped, to point out the right direction, people to catch up etc. Good Work! =D>

Dan

Agreed! :D :D :D :D

TSM
03-04-05, 07:18 PM

Yes, i agree. And NOT sit at a junction point them in the wrong direction, let them go and then just f*ck off by themselves.

Dan

Do did not say this.

You failed to see the Dead end Road sign when you went that way, i went running to my bike to horn at you with no use.
I waited for about 5mins at the junction, then went down the road you took. But as it split in two i did not know what way you went, i took one road and rode on it for a few mins but did not see you. Then i assumed that you had probably went back and was making your way there.

I lost myself any way and added several miles and 20mins late to get to the next stop, plus help of GPS.

I did my part.

I think that route planners and people that happen to know the way they are going look at: http://www.visordown.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23731

At a few turnings i stopped for people, but at the end the super fast crew decided to fly off to Box Hill leaving no back markers.

Overall a good day, needs better organising i think.

My Pics: http://www.pyroserve.com/tsm/gallery/Imager.asp?Dir=/030405_selkent_rideout

Viney
03-04-05, 07:28 PM
1st off, a big thanks to Billy for organising today its never easy and you will always upset someone, and for everyone turning up. it was a good day even with a few people wandering off on thier own(I needed to ride by myself for a while to sort something out in my head!)

However, I agree about the rideout pace. Now, this has been pointed out before on many a .org rideout, this along with junction marking, but no one ever listens and no one ever does it, and it should be. i think its quite selfish.
It seems that if a couple of main members dont attend a rideout, namely Rictus, Swiss, Doug and myself, you get a lot of lost people.

The aim of the rideout is to enjoy yourself. You dont have to all ride at the same pace, but marking the junctions etc makes it all more enjoyable. Yes i know it can be a drag waiting for back markers, but its all the more fun catching up.

If you want an all out blast, than organise a rideout with members that you know are up for that, and do it by PM. Ok this makes it all a bit clique, but you get what you want, and dont upset people.

The last thing that you dont want to do is scare off new riders, and even more seriously make that person have an accident due to them rushing to catch up. If they know that the next junction is going to be marked, then they can enjoy themselves ans ride at thier own pace.

Some simple rules need to be adhered to.

1. Always know who the back marker is.
2. When leaving a stop, make sure everyone is there
3. If you have to get petrol after the stop, make sure that the rideout leader knows.
4. Mark the Junctions. If the rider behind you is not visible, then wait until they appear and are aware what direction.
5. If you want to blast off, then fine. Just let people know that is how you are going to ride.
6. Make sure you have a couple of people who know the route. Always have them dispersed in the pack to allow for any 'lost' momnets
7. Have fun

As for Rictus, the god of motorcycles, running out of petrol...well :lol: :lol: :lol:

Moriarty
03-04-05, 08:04 PM
A great day but a ****ty evening. Was rear-ended at a roundabout (not sure which one) about 5 mins after leaving Boxhill. Been to hospital and been checked over - thankfully nothing serious.

The duchess, however, is another matter. I don't know what shape she's in as I was pushed into the ambulance pretty quickly - the last glimpse I had was of a car on top of her and brake fluid all over the road.

That said, I did have a fab day out and really enjoyed meeting new faces and riding fun roads. Well done Billy.

Sudoxe
03-04-05, 08:06 PM
Do did not say this.

No you were pointing.

I lost myself any way and added several miles and 20mins late to get to the next stop, plus help of GPS.

I did my part.

You got lost with a GPS? found the group without a map, or fuel. When you sent me down the deadend roads i was at 96odd miles since i last filled up.

Im not going to result to name calling, so one more thing.
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:sfESsxEXAvEJ:www.videx.com/products/downloads/graphics/Access_Control/6_and_7-Pin_Cylinders/Knob/KNOB.JPG

Cheers billy.

Right im off to sharpen my axe on the bench grinder.....

TSM
03-04-05, 08:09 PM
Sorry, glad you are ok.

I a while back nearly got rear ended by a car going 70mph through a red light when i was waiting at the lights turning right. He had to swerve to avoid me. That left me shaking for a while. The wind rush as he passed nearly pushed me over.

And there is not much you can do about it, if the person behind is not concetrating there will aways be someone hurt.

Glad you are all ok, let us know what happens.

Sudoxe
03-04-05, 08:12 PM
A great day but a ****ty evening. Was rear-ended at a roundabout (not sure which one) about 5 mins after leaving Boxhill. Been to hospital and been checked over - thankfully nothing serious.

The duchess, however, is another matter. I don't know what shape she's in as I was pushed into the ambulance pretty quickly - the last glimpse I had was of a car on top of her and brake fluid all over the road.

That said, I did have a fab day out and really enjoyed meeting new faces and riding fun roads. Well done Billy.

Bad luck matey! rear ends aren't nice, had one myself and they wrote off the bike :(
if your walking you might get a back ache, kneck ache in a day or so. I also got a lump in my leg.

Hope you get better soon, let us know if you need anything!

Dan

TSM
03-04-05, 08:13 PM
Do did not say this.

No you were pointing.

I did my part.

You got lost with a GPS? found the group without a map, or fuel. When you sent me down the deadend roads i was at 96odd miles since i last filled up.

Im not going to result to name calling, so one more thing.
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:sfESsxEXAvEJ:www.videx.com/products/downloads/graphics/Access_Control/6_and_7-Pin_Cylinders/Knob/KNOB.JPG

Cheers billy.

Right im off to sharpen my axe on the bench grinder.....

I dont have my GPS mounted on bike, have to stop and look.

Toad, Treacle went the correct way when pointed them.

Name Calling: Back to you too, for not observing dead end road signs.

coombest
03-04-05, 08:14 PM

S*1t fella!

Sorry to hear about this - I met you for the first time today but didn't actually get to talk to you much.

Hope you don't wake up in the morning feeling too sore - it's always the morning after that's worst.

If I can be of any help or assistance, drop me a line.

Chin up - bikes can be rebuilt - you can't (trust me! :wink: )

Jdubya
03-04-05, 08:16 PM

S*1t fella!

Sorry to hear about this - I met you for the first time today but didn't actually get to talk to you much.

Hope you don't wake up in the morning feeling too sore - it's always the morning after that's worst.

If I can be of any help or assistance, drop me a line.

Chin up - bikes can be rebuilt - you can't (trust me! :wink: )

Just dont post any pics of your nads though...may just scar me again! :oops: :oops: :oops: :wink:

Glad you are okay though...

Flamin_Squirrel
03-04-05, 08:18 PM

:(:(:(:(

Best of luck sorting yourself and the bike asap.

Shinsei Jutsu
03-04-05, 08:42 PM
**** luck Matt, hope all is well, and hope the bike is repairable.

fearless ferret
03-04-05, 08:46 PM
Just like to say thanks to all you guys and girls I met today at rye and thanks for letting me tag along , more friendly than the 1000 meets !!!!! hope to see you all again soon . :thumbsup:

coombest
03-04-05, 08:51 PM
Just like to say thanks to all you guys and girls I met today at rye and thanks for letting me tag along , more friendly than the 1000 meets !!!!! hope to see you all again soon . :thumbsup:

We're more friendly because we don't have many friends, or ar simply mad-as-****!!! :lol:

It was good to meet you & even better to put a name to the racket that goes past my house so often!!

I assume it was either you ro the Ducati that went past about half an hour ago & made me turn my TV up!! :wink:

Drop me a PM if you fancy a ride or summt some time!
Chutz (Ian) & I are also down the Pub quite alot, so there's that too!! :lol:

BillyC
03-04-05, 09:22 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks to everyone who came along - there's no point organising and planning one of these things, if no one turns up! A great croud, and I had a lot of fun showing you around some of my favourite roads, and being shown around some new ones!

To all those that got a little lost, I'm really sorry. Amazingly, this was one ride out where we stuck to the route at almost every turn - a map could've got you back on course quickly - but then again, most of us are men and I can imagine us asking anyone for directions :lol:

Sorry you got caught out Dan, to a certain degree I think this was to do with keeping up - with practise you can be a safe and swift rider, and the more of these things you go on, the better you will get - learn from others.

Tim and Claire... really sorry you got left behind in Rye, luckily you made it to the next stop. Viney's raised some points on this kind of thing. When I first joined this site, there was discussion about basic roles and routines for organising ride outs. Today has been no exception, and demonstrated the need for these again. I'm sure we could put something together that would simply and effectively help us all for the next event.

Mark... thanks for posting the pictures... that poor petrol can, may it rest in pieces! :lol:

Matt... Helen and I passed your bike, but I think you'd been whisked off to Hospital by then. Very very sorry to hear about what happened - very unfortunate, and ironic that after the day we had, something so simple and stupid like this happens. Heal quickly!

In summary, I had a fantastic day, great weather, great ride - thanks all very much for coming along. I'd be happy to put some more routes together, as there's so much we missed out today! :lol:

lynw
03-04-05, 09:23 PM
I dont have my GPS mounted on bike, have to stop and look.
Toad, Treacle went the correct way when pointed them.
Name Calling: Back to you too, for not observing dead end road signs.

Oh very mature :evil: .... I would suggest that the best reply to this would have been to pm Dan and resolve your differences that way rather than up the notch in the public slagging off session...

And before I go get the ladder to help you get off the horse youre no doubt climbing up on, whatever differences you and I have had, Ive always made a point of resolving them via pm as far as I could so not to drag anyone else into it.

I would suggest you both bear that in mind for the future rather than continue something in public which could become quite devisive and affect everyone else. Have some respect for other people who dont want/need to get in the middle of this. :evil:

And Moriarty.... good god, I really hope youre ok. PM me if you need anything. My advice other than to take it easy for a few days... [cos its not just tomorrow you'll hurt] is find out which PC arranged for the bike to be taken away otherwise it may take ages to recover it or for your insurance to recover it.

Seriously hope you got witnesses and everything is ok. :shock: :(

hey have one of these :grouphug: keep us informed how you doing please.

righto now Ive stirred the pot a bit... Im outta here... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mr Toad
03-04-05, 09:23 PM
some pics of todays madness :lol:

http://www.uploadit.org/gallery/13198/

Matt- really sorry to hear of the shunt, TG you're OK, hope you don't suffer to much tomorrow, and that the bike can be fixed easily.
Must have been a memorable day - firstly being overtaken by a petrol can :shock: , and then that

Billy - thanks for organising it :thumbsup:

Ricardo - thanks for pointing me in the right direction at least :D

The pace was quite brisk in the morning, and fast (at times very fast :twisted: ) in the afternoon. That's kind of a fact of life on these rideouts, so don't take it personally. If I wasn't happy with the pace I'd slow down, and that is an option that is available to all of us.
I saw some very scary overtaking at times, by several people who shall remain nameless :oops:
The smashed Blackbird outside Rykers is a reminder to all of us :cry:

cheers

BillyC
03-04-05, 09:24 PM
You're welcome any time you like mate... we're a friendly bunch, and there's loads of us! Come up to our Kent meet sometime for an evening to meet us all!

U.K.Ajay
03-04-05, 09:56 PM
I may have to get on a soap box here! :rant:

I am seeing not enough Thank yous to Billy (I do see a few). I have organised a rideout on here before and it takes a lot of work, and I certainly did not put half the effort into that Billy did today. :notworthy:

For those of you that got lost I'm sorry, but there were maps and the roads tend to have signposts on them, it is not hard, at a stop, to look at the maps/direction and remember the 2 or 3 towns/villages that will get you to the next stop.

I agree that the ride was fastish today and yes we could of gone by the suggestions of Vinney and yes we do not want to scare of newbies, but please less of the handbags at dawn and a few more thank yous for the organiser.

I thought the route was excellent, there were a lot of us, the sun was out, thankfully no one got really hurt (Matt sorry to hear that) and I met some really nice people today. 8)

I have now climbed off my soapbox :lol:

coombest
03-04-05, 09:57 PM
Sorry you got caught out Dan, to a certain degree I think this was to do with keeping up - with practise you can be a safe and swift rider, and the more of these things you go on, the better you will get - learn from others.

Yeah - you just need to have a bit of confidence in your convictions & to not be too afraid to open the throttle a little further!
There were so many times today when I was behind you & you were on the right line as you were approaching the corner but you psyched yourself out or something & chenged your line... Go with it mate!! If you F*^k up, on the open roads, you can generally rectify it befor thare's any problem - it's not like London everywhre! :wink:

Sorry you got lost though dude - happens to the best of us! :oops: And well done for finding them all on unfamiliar turf! :D

Tim and Claire... really sorry you got left behind in Rye, luckily you made it to the next stop. Viney's raised some points on this kind of thing. When I first joined this site, there was discussion about basic roles and routines for organising ride outs. Today has been no exception, and demonstrated the need for these again. I'm sure we could put something together that would simply and effectively help us all for the next event.

That's aright, Dude - I'll just make a point of teling everyone that I need fuel next time! :wink: :lol:

Thank you and well done to Clare as well...
It was a real pleasure riding with you from Rye to Horam and I am sorry that I took us the 'scenic route!'
I was aware that you were not confident with going as fast as I could go and I took this into consideration... And I can honestly say that you were rapidly getting quicker & quicer, the further we went, as well as taking better lines.
Whenever I got carried away & disappeared (but only when I knew the road was straight!), I would soon slow down and wait for you to appear in my mirrors... This wait was dramatically decrease throughout those 50 miles, even though I was generally getting a little more caried away!!! :lol:

I'd be happy to put some more routes together, as there's so much we missed out today! :lol:

Indeed, Sir!

There are so many good roads in Kent & Sussex (some that I heven't ventured onto, too!) and it would be great to show all thems Londoners what proper roads are like!! :wink:

Oh very mature :evil: .... I would suggest that the best reply to this would have been to pm Dan and resolve your differences that way rather than up the notch in the public slagging off session...

Indeed, Lyn... It's fairly clear that there are 'some differences' here and I think that PM would be a far more suitable place to resolve them.
I don't want to stand inbetween things (chrissknows, I love a good fight! :wink: ) but I don't see why everyone else should either.

If I wasn't happy with the pace I'd slow down, and that is an option that is available to all of us.

Good point, well made - people need to remember this ( and that the throttle works both ways!.

I saw some very scary overtaking at times, by several people who shall remain nameless

Likewise did I... Thre's never that much need to get in front of that car that quickly - especially on a big rideout, especially when people watch for the person behind them! Chill out peeps, I want to see you all again & certainly don't want to be going to any funerals any time soon!

I don't want to sound like your Mum and I am certainly not an angel (by any means!!) but I just don't like the thought of anyone I know being hurt or upsetting anyone unnecessarily.

I did enjoy today, even though I was quite stressed out by the time I got home & was in absolute bloody agony with my wrists flaring up! (However, this is nothing that a bottle of wine hasn't sorted!! :wink: )

I look forward to Wednesday when I hope to be at SELKent and to the next rideout.

Sorry for the rambling!!

Sleep sound & ride safe peeps.

coombest
03-04-05, 10:04 PM
I may have to get on a soap box here! :rant:

I am seeing not enough Thank yous to Billy (I do see a few). I have organised a rideout on here before and it takes a lot of work, and I certainly did not put half the effort into that Billy did today. :notworthy:

For those of you that got lost I'm sorry, but there were maps and the roads tend to have signposts on them, it is not hard, at a stop, to look at the maps/direction and remember the 2 or 3 towns/villages that will get you to the next stop.

I agree that the ride was fastish today and yes we could of gone by the suggestions of Vinney and yes we do not want to scare of newbies, but please less of the handbags at dawn and a few more thank yous for the organiser.

I thought the route was excellent, there were a lot of us, the sun was out, thankfully no one got really hurt (Matt sorry to hear that) and I met some really nice people today. 8)

I have now climbed off my soapbox :lol:

Oops - just realised, I don't think I've thanked Billy publicly (I have via MSN though! :D ), so - Thanks Dude! :D :D

I agree with the point about looking at the maps, etc.

My printer is playing up, so I couldn't print them out & have nowhere to put them where they are visible (aren't plastic petrol tanks great! :wink: ). I know I could/should have looked at the big map at the stop-off in Rye but somehow got complaicent becase it was an organised rideout where there were people who knew the way! :lol: :roll: :roll:

Oh well - never mind - it was still a good day with great weather (well done for organising that, Bill!)!!

coombest
03-04-05, 10:09 PM
Any way, I should probably shut up now!! :oops:

I've not been drinking, honest!! :lol: :lol:

Well, OK, but Alcohol is clearly the best pain killer!! :D

lynw
03-04-05, 10:18 PM
Any way, I should probably shut up now!! :oops:

I've not been drinking, honest!! :lol: :lol:

Well, OK, but Alcohol is clearly the best pain killer!! :D

absolutely to the last bit.... the empty bottles in my kitchen have stacked up a bit over the last few weeks.... :oops: :lol:

must find out when that recycling truck is due round... :D

and you dont have to shut up.... its funny when people are drunk.... :D go on... keep posting... you know you want to :wink: :lol:

Viney
03-04-05, 10:22 PM

:shock: No way!

Anything i can do, give me a shout.

Glad you are ok mate.