PDA

View Full Version : SV650 General Election

Pages : [1] 2

BillyC
04-05-05, 08:35 AM
With all the opinion polls flying around at the moment, I wondered which way the constituancy of SV650 would swing.

I appreciate that many will vote with their local issues at heart, but in the general flow of things, how will you vote for this general election?

hall13uk
04-05-05, 08:36 AM
tory *runs for cover*

Cronos
04-05-05, 08:38 AM
Where's the abstain option?

I wouldn't give most of those clowns the time of day if I met them in the street, so there's way I'm going to provide them with my endorsement. :x

Flamin_Squirrel
04-05-05, 08:39 AM
Governments love apathy though, so you should vote, even if you're blindfolded when you mark your X :)

blacksheep
04-05-05, 08:40 AM
Every one of the current set of to**ers is going to screw us. I've binned my ballot paper, at least that way I won't have to think to myself 'well I voted for this cnut!'

BillyC
04-05-05, 08:40 AM
I think I would sooner spoil my vote than abstain.... more of a statement I think.

But, if you're not going to vote... then don't vote. That's how it works in reality!

BillyC
04-05-05, 08:41 AM
Every one of the current set of to**ers is going to screw us. I've binned my ballot paper, at least that way I won't have to think to myself 'well I voted for this cnut!'
The dustman will be voting for you then ;)

I don't get a vote this election :evil:

Cronos
04-05-05, 08:43 AM
I think I would sooner spoil my vote than abstain.... more of a statement I think.

That's actually less of a statement IMHO. A spoilt paper counts as a vote so inflates the turnout figures.

An outright abstention is reflected in the reduced voter turnout figures.

Flamin_Squirrel
04-05-05, 08:44 AM

That's actually less of a statement IMHO. A spoilt paper counts as a vote so inflates the turnout figures.

An outright abstention is reflected in the reduced voter turnout figures.

Low turnout figures are a bad thing.

BillyC
04-05-05, 08:44 AM
Spoilt ballots are counted - because it shows that someone was able and willing to come and vote, but thought the parties contending were talking a load of rubbish :roll:

fizzwheel
04-05-05, 08:46 AM
I still havent decided, but like others I dont see that any off the parties offering a credible solution to any of the problems we have. i.e crime, poor NHS service etc

All they seem interested in doing is scoring points off of each other with school boy politics... its very tedious and I am tired of it

I have been watching the news, election reports with interest though

Ceri JC
04-05-05, 08:56 AM
A (reluctant) conservative.

I vote on 2 factors:

1) Policy

2) The likelihood/faith that the proposed/promised policies will actually be implemented. If policies are outlandish/extreme/expensive to fund (Lib Dem's university polcies) or the people promising them are utter liars (Blair), there's little chance they'll see the light of day.

I don't let campaigns, individuals, personalities, enter into it. Yes, I think Kennedy is a 'nicer bloke' than Howard, a better public speaker and comes across as more sincere, but that doesn't mean I agree with his policies/would want him in power.

People who have said they won't vote tory because of their "dirty" campaign (the "are you thinking..." posters) are lying or stupid: They either wouldn't of voted conservative anyway or, dislike the fact that they tell the truth about the other parties and prefer to put their head in the sand.

Blair has been shown to be a liar and the only reason he was re-elected (and will probably get in again) is the large number of people who vote labour for historic reasons/tradition eg their grandfather voted labour, their father voted labour and by God, they'll vote labour too, in spite of the fact that they no longer represent the interests of the working man. I really don't understand why more working class people don't vote lib dem, they'd get a much better deal than Blair's lot give them.

Feel free to rip into me, most of my mates are lib dem/labour supporters, so I'm used to it :D

On a related note, anyone see the question time special with the "big 3" leaders? V. interesting.

Clunk
04-05-05, 08:58 AM
I've binned my ballot paper,

You don't get a ballot paper until you get to the poling station.

hall13uk
04-05-05, 09:02 AM

he must mean the polling form you take to the station to recieve your ballot paper thou you dont need it really just helps speed things along

Conrad Poons
04-05-05, 09:07 AM
This is the weird thing, watching all the coverage it would seem Labour are well ahead. Not as much as last time but looking fairly comfortable for another term yet I don't know and haven't met ANYONE who is voting for them. And I know it's only 12 votes here so far, but SV650 people have backed it up. Weird.

RenamedMonkey
04-05-05, 09:13 AM

You do if you vote by post, as I have done.

Lib Dem for an unlikely change.

fizzwheel
04-05-05, 09:13 AM
I wont be voting labour, I dont want Tony Blair running this country any more, I dont like him and I dont trust him as Ceri JC says he has been proven to be a liar

RenamedMonkey
04-05-05, 09:15 AM
This is the weird thing, watching all the coverage it would seem Labour are well ahead. Not as much as last time but looking fairly comfortable for another term yet I don't know and haven't met ANYONE who is voting for them. And I know it's only 12 votes here so far, but SV650 people have backed it up. Weird.

I know what you mean. Everyone I've spoken to have said they'll be voting Lib Dems, but a different story is being told here. Interesting.

fizzwheel
04-05-05, 09:17 AM
OK I know this is probably backwards, but I dont like the lib dem idea of taxing my income because I own a house instead of paying council tax

I know its basically the same but it feels to me that I being taxed twice on my income..

BillyC
04-05-05, 09:24 AM
OK I know this is probably backwards, but I dont like the lib dem idea of taxing my income because I own a house instead of paying council tax

I know its basically the same but it feels to me that I being taxed twice on my income..

Yeah I agree....

I think Council Tax is fairer to some extent, and if it were linked more with the number of occupants then would be fairer still. Taxing income again doesn't take into account how much I do, or don't, use the services that are, or aren't available to me.

Personally I think local councils should be put under more scruitiny as to just how they're spending money!

RenamedMonkey
04-05-05, 09:25 AM
I wont be voting labour, I dont want Tony Blair running this country any more, I dont like him and I dont trust him as Ceri JC says he has been proven to be a liar

Did you see the interview on C4 last night with Tony Blair? It was interesting, he seemed very open and honest. Still not voting for him though, well, already sent the Ballot papers so it's a bit late now even if I wanted to change my mind! :lol:

fizzwheel
04-05-05, 09:26 AM
I agree they should, but I think I am right in thinking that labour were going ot re-band everbodies house because house prices have gone up so council tax was gonig to go up anyway if they did this

However they put it on hold till after the election.

Cloggsy
04-05-05, 09:27 AM
'Other' for me I'm afraid...

BillyC
04-05-05, 10:02 AM
Our first Labour voter! :shock:

RenamedMonkey
04-05-05, 10:08 AM
Our first Labour voter! :shock:

Two, apparently!

fizzwheel
04-05-05, 10:09 AM
interesting reults so far, I wander how the results tally up with occupation. earning and background

BillyC
04-05-05, 10:10 AM
If you're prepared to do the analysis Fizz... then go ahead! :lol:

fizzwheel
04-05-05, 10:17 AM
nah its OK

I just think its interesting how people vote based on their background etc, somebody said about it earlier about people voting for a particular party because they have always done, or because their parents do...

SVeeedy Gonzales
04-05-05, 10:37 AM
Liberals... because:

A) Tony is a twonk and I'd hate myself for voting for him. Again.

B) Howard is way too creepy, and evennif voting Lib gets him in, at least that'll be an end to getting points from speed cameras, allegedly

C) They're all the same anyway, aren't they?

D) Surely Kennedy will be knocking down the tax on booze - almost as fast as he's knocking it back himself!

P-a-a-a-r-t-y!!

PS have always voted, and would like to continue to vote, for Labour... but with Tony in there, what's the point? It's more that he's got no balls to do anything that Labour should be doing, rather than any of this Iraq tat, etc. He's just rubbish - should have done bags more than he actually has, so bye bye Tony...

fizzwheel
04-05-05, 10:41 AM
should have done bags more than he actually has, so bye bye Tony...

They were talking about this on a program the other night I was watching, they were saying that Labour had such a big majority it should have used it to get things changed and havent really done anything useful at all

MavUK
04-05-05, 10:42 AM
Tory...

Prefer Lib Dems normally but don't like their national policies
Wouldn't ever vote for labour - even without Blair
That just leaves Tory and the vampier

But... As I lost the form to vote by proxy it won't be counted this time anyway :(

Never mind, won't really affect me anyway living in Holland...

Rider
04-05-05, 11:13 AM
Tory even tho' Howard is not doing them any favours

Ed
04-05-05, 11:38 AM
Tory

Viney
04-05-05, 12:07 PM
Im still fuzzy how Labour are using,

Econimic stability or Conservitives high interest rates

as the bank of England now set the interest rates?

Still, its the Monster raving loony party for me....well, if they stood in the constiuency(sp?) I have had no one bang on the door, so in all honesty other than the main 3 havent a clue whos standing.

I want a house, so im voting for the one most likely to let me even think about owning one. I have private health care, so dont really need to worry about the nhs, i dont have kids, so dont care about the schools, etc etc *Waits for flaming*

Clunk
04-05-05, 12:07 PM
Always voted Labour before but not now.
Libs for me.

Not Labour as I don't agree with Iraq war and like others have said they've wasted their chance to make any real changes.

Not Tory as Howard (son of Thatcher) is as big a liar as Blair, and just gives me the creeps

Its time to give somone else a go.

Flamin_Squirrel
04-05-05, 12:16 PM
To be fair to Tony, politicians have to lie, because most people are stupid.

Skip
04-05-05, 12:25 PM
Did you see the interview on C4 last night with Tony Blair? It was interesting, he seemed very open and honest.
He was on GMTV this morning and seemed open and honest, almost made me think twice, but I am going to vote Lib Dems anyway, not that it will matter as I live in one of the bluest areas of the country... :roll:

hall13uk
04-05-05, 12:34 PM
blue is only good on a bike :)
*derailed*

BillyC
04-05-05, 12:36 PM
Normally I'd be cautious about anything I read in the Evening Standard, especially with their usual scaremongering. However, today, this letter was printed:

I was one of the 13 experts invited to challenge the various party leaders last weekend on a Capital Radio broadcast.

All credit to Howard and Kennedy, who answered our questions fully. Two minutes before Blair was due in front of the panel, he refused to take our questions and we were all duly thrown out of the studio.

I wanted to challenge Blair on the dozens of his promises on law and order he has failed to keep.

Gun crime, knife crime and violent crime continue to spiral out of control.
Paperwork, political correctness and unachievable targets sap the morale of the police - over 2,000 of my colleagues resigned last year.

Last weekend in London, two people were shot dead, three were seriously injured. A young man was beaten to death in the West End by a large group.

This has become the reality of life in Britain under Blair.

The biggest deception I have witnessed in 27 years of policing is this Government's promise to be tough on crime and the causes of crime. Whoever is elected tomorrow has to take their promise to protect society seriously; otherwise, I predict anarchy on the streets before the next election.

Norman Brennan
Director
Victims of Crime Trust
Twickenham

SVeeedy Gonzales
04-05-05, 12:45 PM
*derailed*

OMG I just realised... I'm planning to vote Liberal... and my bike is yellow... it's like some kind of subliminal message every time I ride :shock:

MavUK
04-05-05, 02:04 PM
*derailed*

OMG I just realised... I'm planning to vote Liberal... and my bike is yellow... it's like some kind of subliminal message every time I ride :shock:

So what does my black bike signify?

Ceri JC
04-05-05, 02:17 PM
*derailed*

That you're a fascist. By a similar token, if you've got a red one, you're a commie. :D

RenamedMonkey
04-05-05, 02:19 PM
*derailed*

We are the devil worshippers 8) Satan's riders :twisted:

Viney
04-05-05, 02:20 PM
To be fair to Tony, politicians have to lie, because most people are stupid.

Speak for yaself..bloody rodent :wink:

Anonymous
04-05-05, 02:37 PM
Don't worry theres plenty of labour voters out there including me.

So rest assured you will all still be able to enjoy economic stability and even possibly growth, a strong if unpopular (as strong tends to be) foreign policy, low interest rates allowing you all to spend spend spend and own your own homes without fear of losing them just to repay the interest, a chance for everyone to educate themselves to whatever level is appropriate (albeit by a personal contribution), a free NHS, and relatively (even including all the stealth taxes) low levels of taxation.

BillyC
04-05-05, 02:49 PM
Yup... Economies tend to grow when its citizens are allowed to have free money (low interest rates) :roll: . A classic case of an overheating economy, not just in England, but in most of Europe. Oh... and all that while we had a war to pay for as well!

In many ways, I'm glad that Labour will probably get in, because it's going to go very, very, very bad in the next few years, as we lapse into recession following an artificially extended boom... and I want it to happen on their watch, just so there is no confusion as to whose fault it is. :evil:

Interest rates have been kept artificially low, as by the Bank of England's own admission, the figures on which they based their calculations, were incorrect! Hence rapid movements in interest rates since this discovery, and house reposetions on the increase month on month.

Brown talks ****... and economists have pointed out that the UK has not performed significantly better than any of the other European nations, and we've just been tracking our level.

If time proves that I'm wrong... fine. But from listening and paying attention to the economy and politics for the past 10 years, I'm certain things are about to turn.

Flamin_Squirrel
04-05-05, 02:52 PM
So rest assured you will all still be able to enjoy economic stability and even possibly growth...

Perhaps, for the moment...

...a strong if unpopular (as strong tends to be) foreign policy...

Untill that strength is relinquished to the europeans

...low interest rates allowing you all to spend spend spend and own your own homes without fear of losing them just to repay the interest...

Maybe, if you already have a home. Otherwise forget ever owning one unless you're on a 6 figure salary.

...a chance for everyone to educate themselves to whatever level is appropriate....

Considering how badly schooling has been dumbed down, soon noone will ever be leaving education, even university, with what would have been the equivalent of O-levels.

..a free NHS...

Since when did other parties plan on changing that? Besides, thanks to Labour, after 8 years more money than ever never ends up being spent on patients.

Jabba
04-05-05, 03:13 PM
Bring back Screaming Lord Sutch.

hall13uk
04-05-05, 03:16 PM
:stupid:

BillyC
04-05-05, 03:19 PM
When the UK entered recession in the 90's, the average house price had risen to 6 times the average salary.

So what's the figure now?

Average house price: £183,000
Average salary: £22,000

Figures are difficult to get hold of, as the National Statistics site just holds a load of rubbish these days!

But, using that as a guide... the average house is now 8 times the average salary!

Surely that spells trouble! Something's gotta give!

BillyC
04-05-05, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the Doom and Gloom speach Bill :lol:

It's your fault for making me all cynical yesterday ;)

hall13uk
04-05-05, 03:21 PM
i may never own my own home :(

fizzwheel
04-05-05, 03:25 PM
I think the house market will eventually crash. I bought my house in just in the nick of time, if I had waited any longer I wouldnt be able to afford my own house now

Its already been reported in the press that lots of first time buyers can now not afford to buy, once that happens everything stops

fizzwheel
04-05-05, 03:36 PM
lots of first time buyers can now not afford to buy

Isn't that more like MOST? :lol:

You're right, I think its pretty difficult now unless you have got a big deposit and earn mega bucks...

BillyC
04-05-05, 03:44 PM
So long as the Bank of England adds little adjustments to the Interest Rates... the market won't "crash" in the same way that people are used to. It'll be gently massaged lower and lower.

Really, the market should never have been allowed to climb to the state it's in at the moment. The economics of it is unbelievable. £1 Trillion of consumer debt! :shock:

Ceri JC
04-05-05, 03:46 PM
Its already been reported in the press that lots of first time buyers can now not afford to buy, once that happens everything stops

Yep, at the moment they're desperately trying to get first time buyers to continue to buy, as without them, the whole chain will collapse (and house prices will drop as a result). So, there's talk of upping the thresholds for stamp duty, council's 'part-owning' new homes (eg they become a share holder in your house and give you a grant some way towards it, which is paid back, with interest, when you sell) and other similar schemes.

Personally, I'd rather wait for the market to collapse and snap up a bargain, than pay £150,000 for a glorified bedsit. I don't buy into the theory some economists are putting about that there won't be another 'crash' and that instead, the rate will stay constant for a long time. Balls: if people want/need to sell quickly, they'll lower the price. It's basic economics and I've seen it happen in a few cases already- people I know have made offers lower than the asking price by 10-20K and the sellers have grudgingly accepted. Many houses in london have been on the market for months, etc. :twisted:

Flamin_Squirrel
04-05-05, 03:50 PM
Really, the market should never have been allowed to climb to the state it's in at the moment. The economics of it is unbelievable. £1 Trillion of consumer debt! :shock:

Yep. Mr Brown hasn't exactly been setting a good example has he :?

BillyC
04-05-05, 04:00 PM
To be honest... the only indication that our economy is doing really well, is what's coming from the mouths of Tony and Gordon!

Their political suggestion is very powerful, and it's been mesmerising the British electorate since 1997. I didn't fall for it then, and I'm not falling for it now!

I thought this thread might stir up a few opinions! This is what Idle Banter's for! :twisted:

Jabba
04-05-05, 04:53 PM
Yep. Mr Brown hasn't exactly been setting a good example has he :?

He's been very shifty and sneaky................. like telling us all to save for our old ages and them taxing pension funds.

Surely I'm not the only one to spot that? Bastids :evil:

nickj
04-05-05, 10:15 PM
Could we add a new candidate 'business',

Might as well cut out the middle man :wink: :lol:

Couerdelion
05-05-05, 12:23 AM
Surely the economy just follows a global trend? and as a minor player we just follow?

What annoys me is the fact that we pay into Europe and get no where near a fair amount back in return.

Despite being the 3rd richest country in the EU france get back more or less what they pay in.

I will be voting Tory. They have absolutely no chance of getting in round here but I'm fed-up of Labour.
I'm fed-up of all the ignornant people who vote and don't know why they vote for a party other than it's a family tradition.

jonboy
05-05-05, 07:33 AM
I'm fed-up of all the ignornant people who vote and don't know why they vote for a party other than it's a family tradition.

That of course is why democracy is so ineffective. The majority don't understand the key issues, are so easily swayed by political rhetoric, follow family tradition and last but not least simply can't be bothered to make the effort to find out the truth. And that's for the ones that bother to vote!

Grinch
05-05-05, 07:41 AM
Only greedy people vote Conservative.. as its keep the rich rich.. and make the poor poorer.

Grinch
05-05-05, 07:43 AM
Oh and don't forget..

see below \/

Clunk
05-05-05, 07:48 AM
That of course is why democracy is so ineffective.

What's the alternative ?

I think people used to vote more to a class grouping as this would then account for following family trends.

Toffs.....Tory
Workers....Labour
In between....Libs

But I don't think this is true any more. As people became more affluent they moved from the Labour group into the Tory group. New Labour realised this and got the voters back on their side by becoming more like the Tories.
I think the Libs could capitalise more on this and try to capture the Old Labour voters.

I don't think the last few years would have been any different under the Tories. As has been said the economy tends to follow global trends and Howard has said he would still have gone into Iraq.
We might have had a few tax cuts but the NHS would be even worse.

Clunk
05-05-05, 07:51 AM
Only greedy people vote Conservative.. as its keep the rich rich.. and make the poor poorer.

Agreed and New Labour seem to have the same philosophy.

What we need is 50% tax on over 100K earnings.... who's suggesting that again ?

Jabba
05-05-05, 07:57 AM

That's complete bollix, IMHO.

I'm worse off now than I would have been under a Tory Govt because of the loss of Married Couples Tax Allowance, MIRAS, Increases in NI and I'm particularly miffed that our pension funds are being taxed for the first time.

Add to that the Council Tax hikes and over the last 8 years, despite my salary increasing each year, our household disposable has remained more or less constant.

And now if my kids want to go to Uni there is bugger-all by way of maintenance support and tuition fees to pay.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not against taxes and would gladly pay more if I thought it would go into front-line services in the NHS, Police and Education but this is not what happens.........

And then there's Speed Cameras.................

I voted at 7:45am this morning. Because I voted I feel that I've earned the right to grumble :wink:

Ed
05-05-05, 08:00 AM

This greedy person voted this morning :wink:

Viney
05-05-05, 08:04 AM
Im still fuzzy on the thing about raising stamp duty. If you cant get a morgage, of even afford the 5% deposit, then what bloody good is it rasing stamp duty to 250000. Thats only needed cause you cant buy a 1 bed flat for under £150k in my area. If you move out of the area, then you have to pay inflated transport costs to get to do the job, that doesnt pay enough for you to afford a house. Great init!

Im voting for Emporor Squid :D

jonboy
05-05-05, 08:07 AM

That of course is utter nonsense, though I have a feeling it was said tongue-in-cheek. But I'd certainly vote for you Dan :lol: .

What we need is 50% tax on over 100K earnings...

That really makes no sense whatsoever. Tax is theft. To tax to this degree will mean that there is little incentive for business people to bother, which would ultimately lead to an even poorer economy.

Though not a religious person I do think that the biblical idea of tithing is perfect and very fair - one tenth of what you earn goes back to the society around you, plain and simple.

My own politics? I have no affiliation to any political party, believing them all to be rotten self-seeking scoundrels. What am I voting today? Ah well I did a deal with my daughter who at 17 was incensed she couldn't vote, so we agreed she'd get XYZ amount of work done for her A-levels and then she could have my vote. She's chose Lib Dem (the wishy-washies :lol: ) and if when she comes in tonight she's finished the work then I'll go and vote for her. Just my little way of bucking the system, and as a bit of an anarchist, it stupidly pleases me :wink: .

Grinch
05-05-05, 08:08 AM

Really? Do you remember the old Con gov? Labour is bad now.. but it did have it good points. But even the old Con gov had its good points, the problem is finding a party who not scared to do the bad stuff that the country needs with the good stuff the voters want. Not something I see Labour and Conservative doing.

wyrdness
05-05-05, 08:24 AM
So, there's talk of upping the thresholds for stamp duty

They announced a change in the budget, but it does not go nearly far enough. For a small family house (or even a flat) in London you're still looking at paying over £10,000 in tax at present.

BillyC
05-05-05, 08:34 AM
Im still fuzzy on the thing about raising stamp duty. If you cant get a morgage, of even afford the 5% deposit, then what bloody good is it rasing stamp duty to 250000. Thats only needed cause you cant buy a 1 bed flat for under £150k in my area.
Well... Stamp duty is really only to be charged for above average properties. But as house prices rocketted, no one thought to change the banding, because actually it was earning the Government stinking loads of cash.

The rise in the bands is many many years overdue!

Im voting for Emporor Squid :D
Me too... Where do I put my mark?

Flamin_Squirrel
05-05-05, 09:07 AM

Really? Do you remember the old Con gov? Labour is bad now.. but it did have it good points. But even the old Con gov had its good points, the problem is finding a party who not scared to do the bad stuff that the country needs with the good stuff the voters want. Not something I see Labour and Conservative doing.

Right wing economic policy has nothing to do with making the rich richer and the poor poorer, it has everything to do with letting everyone making their own financial choices. Penalising people for being ambitious is stupid.

Clunk
05-05-05, 03:06 PM

That really makes no sense whatsoever. Tax is theft. To tax to this degree will mean that there is little incentive for business people to bother, which would ultimately lead to an even poorer economy.

Spoken like a true greedy Tory :lol:
Lets all pay no tax and see where it gets us. Tax is essential for a civilised and equal society.

If someone is earning over £100K then most of that income is disposable and is spent on luxuries, a bigger/newer house/car/holiday etc,etc, than you really need. Handing over a bit more tax aint gonna hurt them.

If I was earning over £100K, and I am nowhere near it, then a bit more tax wouldn't bother me, but then I'm a very generous person.

jonboy
05-05-05, 03:19 PM

Spoken like a true greedy Tory :lol:

That's neither true nor fair :wink: .

Lets all pay no tax and see where it gets us. Tax is essential for a civilised and equal society.

Only to a certain extent. It's the dreadful inefficiency of this country that pushes up the need for tax. And what about VAT? Now that's a tax but is truly a tax on the poor.

If someone is earning over £100K then most of that income is disposable and is spent on luxuries, a bigger/newer house/car/holiday etc,etc, than you really need.

One, that's not necessarily true. Two, what makes you the person that decides who should have what and how much?

Handing over a bit more tax aint gonna hurt them.

It seriously could, possibly they'd have to completely change their lifestyle because of it, which would be every bit as traumatic as for someone with less income. Money doesn't bring happiness in itself and wealthy people (though 100k is hardly the income of a wealthy person) have just as many troubles in their lives as other people - they might be slightly different troubles but they have the same emotional drain.

If I was earning over £100K, and I am nowhere near it, then a bit more tax wouldn't bother me, but then I'm a very generous person.

Generosity has nothing to do with it, if you were earning 100k your expenses and lifestyle would eat it all up (just like it does now) and there wouldn't be that much to spare. Imagine earning the amount you are now (the amount is unimportant) and then having to pay 50% tax on it plus your NI contributions. Life wouldn't be so easy would it? And if someone who was earning a lot less than you suggested you ought to move into a smaller home, downsize your car, sell your bike etc do you reallly think it would be right? Probably not. ;)

Okay I'll get down off my soapbox.

fizzwheel
05-05-05, 03:26 PM
Sorry but I worked damn hard to be able to be in the earning position that I'm in now, I went through years of poorly paid jobs to build my skill set up. to the point now where I can afford my own house, run a car, and a bike and if want to buy things or go on holiday or to the pub then I can now afford to do that a live a comfortable life.

Nobody helped me, nobody paid for me to do it, I did it myself, it bugs the hell out of me that I have to pay more and more tax. That gets wasted through ineficent government practices.

Sorry but i think its what wrong with our country, you're not encouraged to go out and make a life and a good living for yourself, instead its easier to sit on your bum and claim benefits.

You want to see what a labour government has caused my father to have to do with his small building company....

IMHO

*throws fuel onto fire*

Grinch
05-05-05, 03:37 PM
Is this 50% tax is only on the earnings that are 'over' 100K not all of it.

Skip
05-05-05, 03:43 PM
I would imagine so....

So, has everyone been and voted who said they were going to?!

I wont be going until about 8:30 tonight.... its been 9 years since I last bothered to vote in anything... :oops:

Anonymous
05-05-05, 03:45 PM
Nobody helped me, nobody paid for me to do it,

Yes they did, other tax payers paid for you to go to school and the biggest help came from a successful labour government providing the sound economic basis to allow someone with a bit of get up and go like yourself to suceed :D

.................................run away........................... :lol:

jonboy
05-05-05, 03:47 PM
Still would be unfair IMO, and I totally agree with Fizz, I love to see achievement (not just financial either).

A 50% tax (even on anything over £100k) would honestly be such a disincentive for small business and those with the ability to earn it that the country would suffer. Much better to reduce taxes and make it easier for people to succeed and invite businesses to invest in this country from overseas. The healthier the economy the more money available for essential services etc and not the other way around.

If you want something, go out and get it. Otherwise be happy with your lot and don't expect other people to have to help you pay your way. There will sadly never be equality, it's just not nature's way, it's a shame but that's the way it is.

(I'm quite enjoying this :lol: )

jonboy
05-05-05, 03:48 PM

You can run but you can't hide! :twisted: :lol:

Flamin_Squirrel
05-05-05, 03:49 PM
Greg, I think your signiture says it all 8)

Mr Toad
05-05-05, 03:55 PM
no probs with 50% over £100k

lets face it, I'm paying 40% now on whatever it is once I've gone past the threashold, + National Insurance (10% or so) pretty much on whatever under that

The easiest trick in the book is not to raise tax threasholds by inflation or whatever measure is appropriate. Stamp Duty, Inheritance Tax, you name it.

But where does it all go :?:

My local library is on the verge of shutting, or at least cutting back considerably on the time it's open, my loacl A&E has a waiting time of usually 4+ hours, and what have we got in return - stupid road 'calming' measures, including replacing bus laybys with the opposite, ie. making the area where the bus stops stick out into the road, so nobody can get past

I'd emigrate if there were anywhere decent left to go :rant:

RenamedMonkey
05-05-05, 03:59 PM
Nobody helped me, nobody paid for me to do it,

Yes they did, other tax payers paid for you to go to school and the biggest help came from a successful labour government providing the sound economic basis to allow someone with a bit of get up and go like yourself to suceed :D

:lol: I like your style 8)

What say you sir Fizz?

Skip
05-05-05, 03:59 PM
Tony Blair was asked on GMTV yesterday if he would introduce Capital Gains Tax on your OWN house! :shock: He said no way, but she must have got the idea from hearing it somewhere else, anyone know?

Mr Toad
05-05-05, 04:06 PM
. . . and the biggest help came from a successful labour government providing the sound economic basis to allow someone with a bit of get up and go like yourself to suceed :D

Huh :shock:

A decade of very cheap energy (look at the oil price), + the massive expansion of the Chinese economy absorbing the excess capacity of most of the world, and a blind one-legged dwarf with a hangover couldn't have failed to engineeer an apparant economic boom.

Lets face it, things are going to be a lot tougher over the coming years

Extra tax for those with more than 2 cylinders on their motorbikes :twisted:

(Apologies to any visually challenged disabled persons of below average stature :D )

Clunk
05-05-05, 04:12 PM
wealthy people (though 100k is hardly the income of a wealthy person) have just as many troubles in their lives as other people - they might be slightly different troubles but they have the same emotional drain.

My heart bleeds for those poor people earning over £100K and their financial problems. To me someone earning £100K is very wealthy.

I'd rather be rich and unhappy than poor and unhappy.
Not that I'm unhappy. :wink:

Patch
05-05-05, 04:29 PM
Hmmm

When you talk percentages it all sounds so easy lets put some monetary figures on it.

I can, if I have a good year earn very well thank you (200K ish), if I have a bad year its not so good at all (40K). I expect a good and bad year every 5 or so years with a mean average at about 100K.

Lets put some tax amounts on that, On a good year I pay in the region of 90K in Tax & NI on a bad year I pay 15K or so on an average year I pay about 48K, Obviously I am talking direct taxation. So in the space of 5 years I will have paid in the region of 250K tax, and retained 301 K in the same period.

I have a higher than average chance of a stress related illness and my earning capacity at this rate is possibly 10 years given that it took until I was 35 to get at this capacity and I will probably be burned out by the tim I am 45 (not too far away by the way)

Because I earn well I will likely never qualify for a state pension, I pay for every thing for my kids and Mrs Patch does not work so I never have to worry about the home.

If you then add in the additional spend we have and the 17.5 % vat on all that we buy we would probably contribute a further 35,000 in tax that way.

Tax is actually very simple and in fact the more you earn the more you pay.

Now compare my retained income with that of a typical scrote who can't be arsed to get off his rusty to do some work and has a couple of sprogs and a council house, likely with their tax credits, social and value of their rent on their house in real terms they have more money than we do and can maintain that for their whole lives.

Patch
05-05-05, 04:31 PM
My heart bleeds for those poor people earning over £100K and their financial problems. To me someone earning £100K is very wealthy.

I'd rather be rich and unhappy than poor and unhappy.
Not that I'm unhappy. :wink:

What age are you Clunk? Work hard and have a goal and you too could wind up earning over a 100K a year, although I doubt you will after all wheres the incentive? :roll:

jonboy
05-05-05, 04:36 PM
Good grief, for once I actually agree with Patch! :lol: :wink:

Patch
05-05-05, 04:38 PM
Good grief, for once I actually agree with Patch! :lol: :wink:

Uh ho

Vote Lib dem :D

jonboy
05-05-05, 05:01 PM
Now you've gone and spoiled it :lol: .

Biker Biggles
05-05-05, 05:02 PM
Patch wrote.........

Vote Lib Dem.

I did.

Clunk
05-05-05, 05:04 PM
Tax is actually very simple and in fact the more you earn the more you pay.

Now compare my retained income with that of a typical scrote who can't be arsed to get off his rusty to do some work and has a couple of sprogs and a council house, likely with their tax credits, social and value of their rent on their house in real terms they have more money than we do and can maintain that for their whole lives.

I don't agree with people sponging off the state but what planet are you on ?

Some one on benefits with a couple of kids has more disposable income than you, on an average 100K a year ? :shock:

As for my age, well its impolite to ask a biker his age :wink: but I have over 20 years work behind me with higher education qualifications and for the area I live in earn a decent wage.

If you think you'll be burnt out at 45 I suggest you throttle back a bit and get some worklife balance.

Viney
05-05-05, 05:12 PM
Patch, what a load of balls mate. 100k jobs are few and far between and for some of us, they are just but a dream. I have worked hard so far, and where am i, effin nowehere. The 100k jobs are for people who had the oppurtunity of going to uni, and those that have 'connections'

You just cant walk into a 100k job. Hell, we are all worth it, but not all of us can obtain it.

As for the tax on the 100k'ers, i think thats a bit off. There are lots of areas that this country could save money. One day, someone will realise this and sort it out....not in my lifetime though!

Just found out the National Front are standing in my area. How funny, considering the level of minorites in the area. Made me laugh.

For the record I went for the Blues.

jonboy
05-05-05, 05:48 PM
100k jobs are few and far between

Interestingly there are loads of them. Not enough to go round I agree but none-the-less plenty out there.

and for some of us, they are just but a dream

That's a difficult one. You see on the one hand I say well if you do XYZ etc over ABC years then you'll be in a position to earn 100k too. On the other hand I have to admit that for various reasons not everybody possesses the requirements to do so.

I have worked hard so far, and where am i, effin nowehere. The 100k jobs are for people who had the oppurtunity of going to uni, and those that have 'connections'

Well I've no doubt at all that you've worked hard but the probability is that it's not been in the right area or direction, which is a great shame and certainly not your fault. But as for Uni and connections, apart from a relatively few peeps, that's utter ********, honestly.

You just cant walk into a 100k job. Hell, we are all worth it, but not all of us can obtain it.

Well the sad thing is, not everyone is worth it. I don't mean that from a personality/decent heart viewpoint but that they simply don't have the necessary skills.

The world is not a fair place and we're born with a variety of skills, not all of them are suited to making money. Money's not everything though, being decent to your fellow man is ;).

Patch
05-05-05, 06:02 PM
I have two O'levels

I left the Army 10 years ago

I have no trade, I started work in civvie street commission only, I developed my work skills and now have the earning potential to reflect that, so thats ten years from commision only to 100 K average per year.

You can earn that you just don't believe that you can, or you are not prepared to do what it takes to earn it. If jobs don't pay that well where you live - move; If your current line of work cant pay that - change; if you are prepared to do what it takes you can earn whatever you choose, if you're not then what the hell gives you the right to penalise those that do make that choice?

As well as getting to this point myself I have also councilled several friends on how to do the same. Its a choice plain and simple.

By the way University educated people are not the high earners in this country, they nowmally earn well but they are not the high earners. With in reason, I don't care who you are, what your education standard is your earnings are in your hands.

adam
05-05-05, 06:29 PM
To me this poll shows two things:

1. Labour gets the lowest vote.
2. We are all people of above average intelligence.

:)

hall13uk
05-05-05, 06:30 PM
hope you all are voteing for the motorcycle campain group :)
there manofesto is great :)