PDA

View Full Version : Look in if you've changed your fork oil seals!

goof
24-06-05, 04:17 PM
Please see last post - almost there! =D>

northwind
24-06-05, 08:56 PM
I can't remember if you have to release the damper rod or not... But basically you pull the two ends apart, and it works like a slide hammer. Pop!

northwind
24-06-05, 08:57 PM
PS if you're having trouble I've got a set of forks you can borrow till yours are sorted, if you can get them from Edinburgh...

21QUEST
24-06-05, 09:10 PM
I can't remember if you have to release the damper rod or not... But basically you pull the two ends apart, and it works like a slide hammer. Pop!

Yep have to remove damper rod bolt(underneath) fork leg.

Cheers
Ben

goof
24-06-05, 10:41 PM
Heh, thanks North, you're a generous guy, you keep trying to give me stuff but that's ok, sure I'll get these sorted :lol:

Thanks as well Ben - I don't think I've undone the damper bolt because when I checked the underside of the fork there was no bolt visable. There a tube running across the bottom of the fork - I take it this is removable and I'll get access to the bolt after taking the tube away? (I just ask because the tubing didn't look removable, looked like it was molded with the fork).

Godikus
24-06-05, 11:20 PM
oi northy. i seem to have misplaced my SV. don't spose you have a spare one kickin' around i could have?

ps i can collect :wink:

worth a try

21QUEST
25-06-05, 07:15 AM
There a tube running across the bottom of the fork - I take it this is removable and I'll get access to the bolt after taking the tube away? (I just ask because the tubing didn't look removable, looked like it was molded with the fork).

The tube(spacer) is removeable. Just tap it out. Clean and lightly grease it before you put it back.

Am I right in assumming that you are not the Haynes manual. If that is the case , it'll be good to invest in one.

Cheers
Ben

Sid Squid
25-06-05, 07:38 AM
On disassembling forks I said: this. (http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?p=274107&highlight=#274107)

goof
25-06-05, 10:15 AM
Thanks Ben, one step closer :thumbsup:
No, it wasn't the haynes it was the PDF one on the site here, which is a bit muff :roll:

And cheers Sid - I found that through the search but in your description you say "the bolt at the bottom of the forks" but no mention of the spacer. Is the spacer what you were referring to when you said 'shove a broom handle in there'?

goof
26-06-05, 04:31 PM
Managed to finally get the bottom fork bolt out...nightmare! :x

So, have got the new fork seals on but I'm wondering how to get them securely into the stanchion without a "special tool" - the washer and seal sit higher than the old ones did before I removed them (they were about 1cm down the tube, leaving space for the dust seal to go on top so I must have to knock them down somehow). Any tips on how to do this (tempted to knock the oil seal down with a screw driver but don't want to knacker it).

TIA :thumbsup:

Sid Squid
26-06-05, 05:41 PM
Don't just whack it with a screwdriver!

You'll need to get a bit of tube, preferably plastic so it's soft, that'll fit in the recess and use it to drift the bush in, you may need to place the large washer against it if the tube is a bit too big to drive it directly, make sure it goes in squarely. Then, making sure the tube only touches the outer edge of the seal, carefully drive that in, also making sure it goes in square.

If you're careful you can use the old seal to fit the new one, cut away the lower inner part, so that it bears only on the flat part of the seal top side, not the protruding bit with the spring round it, be careful not to get the old seal wedged in the fork lower.

goof
26-06-05, 06:07 PM
Thanks Sid, top advice as usual :)