PDA

View Full Version : Solvent for cleaning and soaking carb bits please

petevtwin650
22-05-06, 02:34 PM
Got myself a Factorypro carb recal kit at the BMF, so I'll be dismantling my carbs. They need a good clean anyway as the bike had only done 1100 in four years before I got it.

Can anyone recommend a solvent to soak the carb bits in to clean all the gunk off.?

Incidentally the carb kit comes with 3 sets of jets, 2 needles and clips, plus new stainless bolts for the tops and bottoms of the carbs. £66. A dynojet set is about £80 isn't it, and I don't know if you get new screws or not.

chazzyb
22-05-06, 03:18 PM
Carb cleaner might be a good one to try. :wink:

petevtwin650
22-05-06, 03:56 PM
Carb cleaner might be a good one to try. :wink:

:D :D Does what it says on the tin :D :D

Really looking for something to soak bits in too, as I imagine they'll be pretty manky.

Viney
22-05-06, 04:07 PM
in my experience, carbs just really get dirty on the outside. The screws get pretty naffed up if you are not careful undong them, other than that, theres not a lot else that really screws up, unless you use crap petrol.

the jetsm needles etc are pretty good though, as the needles wear overtime. I use Wurth electrical contact cleaner. Its fantastic stuff. Carb cleaner is also good.

chazzyb
22-05-06, 04:12 PM
I filled an old ice cream tub (a oval smallish one) with the contents of a carb cleaner spray can and soaked carb bits. I believe you can buy all these wonderful solvents in 5 litre tins if you look in the right place (I haven't yet). Just make sure you've got the windows/doors open and scarper pronto if you feel slightly odd. :shock:

petevtwin650
22-05-06, 04:19 PM
It's not dirt I'm worried about Viney but the deposit left by stale petrol that there is bound to be on my carbs. I;ve used carb cleaner that you add to petrol and that defo improved things, but a strip is required I reckon especially as I've got the new needle and jet kit.

Yeah I was gonna fill a glass jar with a tin of carb cleaner contents, but figured there had to be a cheaper easier way Chazzyb.

Smiffy
22-05-06, 04:28 PM
Fresh petrol!

longer
22-05-06, 06:27 PM
Hey Mate,

You can use acetone, it is a bit hard to get hold of in the UK but works well. Just don't put rubber seals in it. They will dry out and fall apart. :wink:

Carsick
22-05-06, 06:34 PM
Isn't nail varnish remover sometimes acetone? or what about some paint thinners?

Robw#70
22-05-06, 06:53 PM
Caustic soda crystals is best, Just the cheap stuff from hardware shop, dont mix it too strong, but only on the brass, alloy tends to make a fizzy mess :shock:

Normski
22-05-06, 08:56 PM
I've had really good results with a hydrochloric acid based wheel cleaner - it really dissolves the gum and white crud well. Problem is it will also eat away at the alloy if left too long, so I use it fairly weak and make sure I rinse everything really thoroughly after using the stuff. I don't leave the alloy bits in for more than a minute or so at a time, but the brass bits can be soaked for a while longer.
I'm told that toilet duck ( also acid based) works well, but haven't tried this myself.
When I run out of this stuff I'm going to try brick cleaning acid from B&Q 'cos this is also based on hydrochloric acid.
Don't forget to wear goggles.

petevtwin650
23-05-06, 02:42 PM
Thanks guys. So it appears there is no hard and fast solution. Plenty of ideas to try out though. :D