PDA

View Full Version : Gold coloured chain lube

Kinvig
25-07-07, 09:04 AM
As a rule of thumb, I always lube my chain when it's warm i.e. after a ride, either once a week or when I've just filled the tank.

Recently tried that wax stuff on the chain but didn't like it as it was quite hard to see if you've lubed all the chain.

I popped down infiniti to peruse their wares & came across Gold Lube. This seemed like a great idea as I would know if I've missed a bit when lubing the chain.

WRONG!

It's think & sprays everywhere. I put up some cardboard to stop it spraying all over the back wheel. After finishing lubing I looked at my driveway it was covered in gold. My side stand is now golden. After my daily commute gold has been flicked all over the back of my bike!

At least I didnt' buy that white ceramic stuff as it would look like the undercoat was showing thru my paint work.

Sosha
25-07-07, 11:17 AM
right then..... that's off my to do list.... bought some halfords chain Wax stuff which is visible and seems to stay put.... not that I've looked too closely

Jester666
25-07-07, 11:23 AM
http://www.mandp.co.uk/netalogue/photos/medium/GJJCLCSWA.jpg I use this.

Castrol Chain wax. Turns the chain white but....

No fling at all!

Moffatt666
27-07-07, 09:41 AM
I think I'll stick to gearbox oil.

yzf
01-08-07, 06:04 AM
you should try Wurth High Performance Dry Chain Lube this was Awarded Ride Magazines Best Buy award January 2006. I have tryed loads of different chain lubes and waxes an this has been the best by a mile, no fling off it drys clear no mess you can see where you have sprayed it for the first minute so you can see what you have done.

G
01-08-07, 08:26 AM
PJ1 I use, its awsome stuff, clear with absolutely no fling at all.

STRAMASHER
01-08-07, 08:55 AM
you should try Wurth High Performance Dry Chain Lube this was Awarded Ride Magazines Best Buy award January 2006. I have tryed loads of different chain lubes and waxes an this has been the best by a mile, no fling off it drys clear no mess you can see where you have sprayed it for the first minute so you can see what you have done.

I think its the "Profli" (?) version/brand I use. Get it from HeinGericke. Puts a teflon coat on chain. Brilliant stuff but you do need to keep your chain clean. I clean it maybe twice a month (bike used everyday).

Top product.:smt045

Heed
06-08-07, 01:20 PM
Has anyone tried the new renthal chain lube yet? I've seen it advertised but haven't seen a review yet.

http://www.trialsbits.co.uk/product_thumb.php?img=images/renthal_chain_lube.jpg&w=43&h=80

Viney
06-08-07, 01:30 PM
SCOTTOILER

Nuff said

chazzyb
07-08-07, 02:38 PM
It's think & sprays everywhere. I put up some cardboard to stop it spraying all over the back wheel. After finishing lubing I looked at my driveway it was covered in gold. My side stand is now golden. After my daily commute gold has been flicked all over the back of my bike!

It'll probably wash off with some golden rain!:p

New Leaf
21-05-08, 08:01 PM
+1 for proli dry chain lube (or worth - its basically the same) everything else is pants.

Alpinestarhero
22-05-08, 07:27 AM
+1 on the wurth stuff, although I find it goes dry quickly / gets rinsed off in the rain too easily, so whilst I've been commuting ive been using messy silkolene stuff. Ruddy hardcore lube that is, but does make a pigs ear of the rear wheel.

I'll be getting some wurth next week

Matt

BanannaMan
04-09-08, 04:14 AM
Anyone use a chain lube that doesn't wash off at the first sign of rain??

(Currently using Maxima Chain Wax)

jaffacakes
04-09-08, 07:23 AM
Show us a picture of your gold bike then Goldmember!

Get a Scottoiler.

Dave The Rave
04-09-08, 08:26 AM
Anyone use a chain lube that doesn't wash off at the first sign of rain??

(Currently using Maxima Chain Wax)

Never heard about Wurth dry chain lube washing in the rain. I used to commute on my bike 200 miles a week all year round. Nver had any troubles with Wurth. The best on the market!

Grinch
04-09-08, 08:36 AM
Chip fat... ;-) works a treat.

But I have used the gold stuff in the past, never had problems like that, all I can say is that its just bad lube.

dizzyblonde
04-09-08, 08:43 AM
i like green snot.....thats Holts chain oil. Flings a bit at first, but seems to lube it for a fair while. I used to use chain wax, not sure if I were keen or not(my polished rims were better for not going black) I'm still waiting to adjust the chain, so it can't be too bad with the Holts. But then I do clean my chain regular as well...as often as i clean my bike which tipping on the OCD

Grinch
04-09-08, 08:47 AM
Its funny, I've never had a chain lube preference. I just tended to use what ever I could get at the first bike shop I went to.

bigspud
06-12-08, 09:18 PM
+1 i find it a most excellent product,not cheap, but good stuff isnt is it ?

AndyBrad
08-12-08, 12:39 PM
went from castrol chain wax to worth yesterday. not sure of any benefits but the worth stuff is definatly thinner

Ginger 1
06-05-09, 03:54 PM

+1

the_lone_wolf
06-05-09, 04:07 PM
http://www.forumspile.com/Old-MummyHead.jpg

New Leaf
07-05-09, 08:44 AM
lol it was well worth digging up to add his valuable contribution.

'+1' lol.

Dave20046
07-05-09, 09:01 AM
wurth or bikeit dry chain lube.
Both good products bikeit's a bit cheaper and unbelievably sticky.

Either that or a scottoiler.

Ginger 1
07-05-09, 01:19 PM
LOL Sorry didnt realise it was so old!
I Love wurth its good with no fling but its to pricey, Wondered if you can buy in bulk or anywhere cheap on line that does it? I might give bikeit a go if its a bit cheaper.

Mej
07-05-09, 02:04 PM
i like green snot.....thats Holts chain oil. Flings a bit at first, but seems to lube it for a fair while. I used to use chain wax, not sure if I were keen or not(my polished rims were better for not going black) I'm still waiting to adjust the chain, so it can't be too bad with the Holts. But then I do clean my chain regular as well...as often as i clean my bike which tipping on the OCD

+1

seems to work well

http://www.onestopmotorcycles.com/image.php?productid=16255

zsv650
07-05-09, 02:10 PM
ive used gold chain lube before and like you found it just flung evrywhere and was a real git to clean up but i now use mucc offs chain lube and find it quite good.

Holdup
22-05-09, 10:14 AM
I like castrol chain wax little bit of fling but not too much.

Ive also used fuchs silkolene chain lube as i ran out of wax and this stuff was down my work shop, says on tin "special formula stops fling off" yea right! my rear wheel was black after first 10 mile trip!

Dave20046
22-05-09, 10:16 AM
my rear wheel was black after first 10 mile trip!
Where can I buy this product?????

Holdup
03-06-09, 03:03 PM
http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/productinfo/SLKCL400/Chains-and-Sprockets/Chain-Lubes/Fuchs-Silkolene/Chain-Lube

Although i obtained mine ;)