SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Caliper rebuild - how? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=208264)

PuggledPrune 13-03-14 07:16 PM

Caliper rebuild - how?

After a few Scottish winters, the SV's brakes were in serious need of a refurb.... Have taken the calipers apart to clean everything but the rubber bits split so have ordered a kit with replacement seals and rubber bits...

Just wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a wee guide to putting the seals on etc....

TIA.

MJC-DEV 13-03-14 08:50 PM

Re: Caliper rebuild - how?

Haynes Manual?

maviczap 13-03-14 09:03 PM

PM me you email & I'l send you the Suzuki PDF for servicing the caliper

TheRuffellator 13-03-14 09:18 PM

Re: Re: Caliper rebuild - how?

Quote:

Originally Posted by maviczap (Post 2941193)

Sorry to be a pain but would you be able to send me a copy too? As I'm going to rebuild my calipers at some point soon and it would be helpful :)

maviczap 13-03-14 09:42 PM

No problem, pm me your e-mail

Bibio 13-03-14 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuggledPrune (Post 2941149)
After a few Scottish winters, the SV's brakes were in serious need of a refurb.... Have taken the calipers apart to clean everything but the rubber bits split so have ordered a kit with replacement seals and rubber bits...

Just wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a wee guide to putting the seals on etc....

TIA.

even better, how about i come up and show you how to do it properly.

i'm free next sunday morning.

Broom 14-03-14 07:40 AM

There's a guy on youtube who is an ex-mechanic. His youtube name is Moonfleet41 and he has a video called delboy's garage - caliper rebuild. He has a few how to videos on his channel that I found very useful. Perhaps check out his video.

Jayneflakes 14-03-14 12:04 PM

I did a Youtube video on this subject a short while ago, but it was more instructional on swearing than mechanics. :smt076

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Not sure if it will help you, but you never know. :rolleyes:

TheRuffellator 14-03-14 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maviczap (Post 2941209)
No problem, pm me your e-mail

Cheers mate will send it over now

muzikill 14-03-14 02:18 PM

Quote:

Is that in the 'normal' bootlegged suzuki workshop manual?

maviczap 14-03-14 09:47 PM

Yes

TheRuffellator 15-03-14 07:12 AM

All received mate thanks a lot.

maviczap 15-03-14 09:38 AM

Cool

PuggledPrune 15-03-14 07:49 PM

Hey folks, thanks for the replies. Please excuse the delay, but I normally get email notifications to say when there are replies but not this time.

Bibio, I really appreciate the offer mate. I'm not free on Sunday unfortunately, but if you are good to enough to do that another time I'd appreciate it. I'm quite embarrassed by the nick of my bike, but figure I will use it this summer as it is and spend the winter doing it up...

PuggledPrune 15-03-14 07:51 PM

Quote:

Done. Thanks mate!

PuggledPrune 18-03-14 02:10 PM

Going to be giving this a bash tomorrow. Decided to get new bleed valves. Should I use anything on the thread? Eg. thread lock or anything like that??

Vinc 18-03-14 03:32 PM

If you use anything on the thread, be careful that nothing reaches the brake fluid.

maviczap 18-03-14 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuggledPrune (Post 2942327)
Going to be giving this a bash tomorrow. Decided to get new bleed valves. Should I use anything on the thread? Eg. thread lock or anything like that??

You shouldn't need anything on the bleed valves, certainly no thread lock, they're bad enough at getting stuck without adding any complication.

I replaced mine with stainless ones, but its not 100% necessary

Bibio 18-03-14 04:32 PM

tip 1. crack the bleed nipple loose with a socket first then nip it lightly back up.

tip 2. use a dremmil and brass/plastic disc brush + autosol to clean the seal recesses out.

tip 3. use a smear of red rubber grease to put everything back together. i rub the RRG well into the seals before putting them in. do not use to much RRG. do not under any circumstances use brake fluid on the seals. the reason the seals burger up is due to furring behind the seals and brake fluid cases the furring.

tip 4. depending on if you know which way to wind PTFE (plumbers tape) then i would advise you to wrap the threads of the bleed nipples making sure that you leave the bleed holes clear with PTFE tape. this serves two purposes. 1. it gives a better seal for bleeding. 2. the nipples wont ever seize.

muzikill 18-03-14 06:35 PM

I replaced mine with stainless as the oem looked like bakelite!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

PuggledPrune 19-03-14 12:11 AM

Thanks for the replies folks. Just got stainless ones as it seemed to make sense to change them at the same time as everything else.

The kit I got came with red grease. Thanks for the tips Bibio, feel a lot more confident with the bits I have picked up....

Bibio 19-03-14 04:50 AM

stainless and alloy do not mix well and you will find that the nipples will seize even quicker. to stop this you can use a small dab of copper grease on the nipple threads before putting them in.

PuggledPrune 19-03-14 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 2942534)
stainless and alloy do not mix well and you will find that the nipples will seize even quicker. to stop this you can use a small dab of copper grease on the nipple threads before putting them in.

Haha nae doubt. Always thought stainless would be better... nevermind got some copper slip...

aesmith 19-03-14 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuggledPrune (Post 2942552)
Haha nae doubt. Always thought stainless would be better... nevermind got some copper slip...

Stainless is better for itself, but it's reduced corrosion potential means that the aluminium calliper will corrode all the more as a reaction. You see this very strikingly if you fit a stainless steel shackle onto galvanised chain, the first few links rust in no time.

Boats and aircraft use a special sealant (Duralac) between stainless fittings and aluminium, but that's for permanent fixings.

PuggledPrune 19-03-14 01:04 PM

Well that's it done. It was actually pretty easy. Just need to fill it up and bleed the brakes. Few more jobs to do before I get out on it.... Change oil, filters, plugs, coolant. Will be ready to go after that!

Thanks for all the help folks.

speedyandypandy 21-03-14 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 2942534)

A third metal into the mix is not so much better, the electropotential between copper and aluminum is small, but still large between stainless and copper.

I would use a non-metallic grease, vaselin grease would do the job, and might even be cheaper then regular "industrial" grease.

Bibio 21-03-14 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedyandypandy (Post 2943192)
A third metal into the mix is not so much better, the electropotential between copper and aluminum is small, but still large between stainless and copper.

yes you are correct except you forgot about the properties of the actual copper and the copper being suspended in grease. the copper is not there to stop things oxidising its there to act as a lubricant if things do.

speedyandypandy 22-03-14 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 2943217)
yes you are correct except you forgot about the properties of the actual copper and the copper being suspended in grease. the copper is not there to stop things oxidising its there to act as a lubricant if things do.

you get 1 point for that, one would get the same properties with a grease containing PTFE, the ptfe would still be there if the grease dries up, and you get a non metallic grease.

aesmith 23-03-14 04:57 PM

I'd be more concerned about the grease than the copper. Is the grease compatible with brake fluid? By the way, the use of copper grease as a general purpose anti-sieze is relatively recent. Back when I was a kid the only place we used to regularly use it was on exhaust system studs and nuts, the idea there being that the copper would remain after the grease has burned off.