SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   The Border Patrol (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   A novice day out....on track muahaha (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=163972)

sv4me 17-03-11 01:03 AM

A novice day out....on track muahaha

Hi guys

I'm planning on getting across to Anglesey for the 1st time this spring/summer for a trackday. Having spoken to a few off here I know theres quite a few amongst us who haven't popped your track cherries yet :smt112 so what better place to do it than on the coast at Anglesey.

Reason why i'm preferring Anglesey to Oulton is that they have weekend trackdays so means not having to take leave. Cheaper too (approx £100 compared to £150) and depending on who you speak to, is just as good a track as Oulton

So, would anyone be interested? Would be a good day out and you'd have fellow orgers to compare notes with :) if we could get a few novices together I think it would reduce the nervousness we all feel before our 1st time out on track

List of dates:
http://www.angleseycircuit.com/fixtu...ycle-trac-days

ps did a search on this and found a couple of threads from a year or 2 ago, don't think anything came of them though?

Ian1971 17-03-11 04:41 PM

Re: A novice day out....on track muahaha

Was supposed to be on a track day there 5th March but they rang up and cancelled it! Now booked up for Mallory Park on good Friday. If all goes well there when i pop me cherry!! maybe interested.

sv4me 17-03-11 06:34 PM

You've got just the bike for it :)

have fun at mallory, is a good place for your 1st time not too fast or technical. i'm there 27th May showing Neil Hodgson how to ride :smt102 lol

barwel1992 17-03-11 06:37 PM

i need to get on a track but no funds .... (need dyno first)

Specialone 17-03-11 08:03 PM

My first TD was at mallory last year, before the resurface I must add, they have got rid of the big crack coming out of gerrards now ;)

I like mallory, I like the fact spectators can get to all parts of the track.

christopher 17-03-11 08:16 PM

I'll be tempted depending on dates, might look for a cheap B&B for the night before to save the 1½ hour ride there only to ride all day and back again.

And 2 cherries popped at Oulton the other month for me as you know... so will be hoping not to have a rerun of the first session :p

Telford_Tim 17-03-11 10:30 PM

Well..... I havent any leathers no money for fixing it if i come off and very little riding ability. If i was minted i would be in but as i'm not you will have to count me out. HOWEVER........... If you let me know the dates i may well pop along and do a photographic feature thread on here and if you want any prints doing you can just let me know :)

How close to the track could i get do you think? What dates r you thinking of???

Nobbylad 17-03-11 11:26 PM

I wasn't overly impressed with Mallory and it deffo rates as my bottom track out of Oulton, Anglesey and Mallory.

Anglesey is great for a 1st track day as it's mahoosively wide and not as technical as the other 2 (in my opinion).

OK I binned it on my 1st trackday, however that didn't detract from the enjoyment on the day, in fact it meant I ticked every single box...no chicken strips, no hero blobs, knee down and an off! :)

sv4me 18-03-11 01:11 AM

Right bit more info for those interested

Some possible dates
  1. Sunday 24th April - £109
  2. Saturday 21st May - £139
  3. Sunday 19th June - £109
  4. Friday 15th July - £109
  5. Saturday 16th July - £139
  6. Friday 22nd July - £109
  7. Sunday 31st July - £119
As you can see the saturdays are the most expensive, fridays and sundays look favourable. I'm liking the sound of 19th June at the minute but would go with what the majority can do

@Christopher: yeah would definitely be staying over the night before, either B&B or camping it up :)

@Tim: leathers would be an issue! Bullcrap you've got plenty of ability. As long as you start off steady theres not really much to riding on track, no pressure in the novices......but if you saw chris' bike after his little 'mishap' at Oulton there really wasnt much damage. Am I selling this well at all!? Appreciate you've got an extra mouth to feed soon :D no idea about the camera thing mate would have to speak to someone whos been there. Sounds good to me though

@Nobby: FFS :-$ would everyone stop mentioning crashing on their 1st trackday! lol does sound a hell of a day out though mate

Oh and have a butchers at this \\:D/ we'd be doing the full GP circuit. So basically includes the 2 big straights and the hairpin at the top of the pic

http://www.timeattack.co.uk/2011/use...ey_circuit.jpg

Nobbylad 18-03-11 01:56 AM

Ahhhh... Nobby's hairpin... I remember it well ;)

barwel1992 18-03-11 11:14 AM

are textile allowed ? got new leathers ages ago but decided i dont like the bottoms so only have my old stuff thats textile jacket with leather bottoms with a 360o connecting zip

sv4me 18-03-11 03:06 PM

Sorry dude i'm guessing Anglesey is like every other track, has to be 1 or 2 piece zip together leathers :(

Ian1971 18-03-11 06:19 PM

Angelsey is defo one piece or zip together as the missis booked me on there for me birthday without checking with me first!!! And i second the please dont mention the off's on first track day as thats what im fearing the most :eek:

flymo 04-04-11 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobbylad (Post 2503881)
Ahhhh... Nobby's hairpin... I remember it well ;)

ah yes :-)

L3nny 26-04-11 12:32 AM

Just seen this. I quite fancy Anglesey looks like a nice track, only thing that puts me off is the dodgy Welsh weather, and the fact it's miles away!

June 19th is good for me also.

Nobbylad 26-04-11 03:24 PM

I'm thinking about 21st May

metalhead19 26-04-11 04:26 PM

Does look a very good track. Is somewhere i want to do, but it is just such a long way away.

sv4me 03-05-11 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L3nny (Post 2526355)
Just seen this. I quite fancy Anglesey looks like a nice track, only thing that puts me off is the dodgy Welsh weather, and the fact it's miles away!

June 19th is good for me also.

I've been told not to camp unless I want to be kept up all night with the wind and if it rains, expect to find you and your tent floating across the campsite :eek: i'm sure its great when the weathers nice!

I'm doing the great north swim in windermere 18th June in the morning but i'm still up for this on the 19th, otherwise its looking like July

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobbylad (Post 2526670)
I'm thinking about 21st May

You would pick the most expensive day :p sure I can't interest you in the 19th mate? I wouldnt mind following your lines round the hairpin ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by metalhead19 (Post 2526712)
Does look a very good track. Is somewhere i want to do, but it is just such a long way away.

Nehhhh its only up the road :) I know what you mean, probably why I won't get to do Brands Hatch

Webber 07-05-11 10:09 AM

Im up for this! Not been on a track day yet, maybe it will make me stop treating the road like one!

Depending on dates i think i will attend, riding to italy between the 8-18th july, preferably after as before means i risk binning it before my trip!

sv4me 08-01-12 08:36 PM

Resurrection time :cool:

Never did get to Anglesey last year! No Limits are there Sunday 8th April and Easter Monday. Linky

Just planting the seed ;)

Nobbylad 09-01-12 04:51 PM

You bad, bad boy.....

#tempted

sv4me 09-01-12 07:13 PM

Also looking at Oulton the weekend after...

#justsaying ;)

Nobbylad 09-01-12 07:49 PM

There was something advertised at Cadwell recently, a two-dayer, incl. BBQ etc - think it was sometime in June/July and was a Trackdayrider offer.

sv4me 09-01-12 08:11 PM

Yeah its July. I've just registered on there actually for a nosey :)

I'm going Cadwell at the end of July, otherwise i'd have been up for that

The Idle Biker 10-01-12 11:45 AM

Hey folks,

I'd definitely like to come to this with you lot. If it's April, May or June then count me in.
The Trackdayrider one is 11/12 July at Cadwell. Better get in fast though because it's filling up. Make sure you do the intro' on the forum and say hello etc, before booking up though.

Anglessey looks great, it will take me all day to get there but I'm determined to go this year.

sv4me 10-01-12 06:44 PM

Awesome :thumbsup: be good to get a few us together

I'm liking the look of Sunday 8th or Monday 9th April, hopefully not too soon in the year weather wise?

It'll be my 1st of the year, i've spent the winter throwing goodies at the ninja so looking forward to trying them out :)

HoL 10-01-12 07:36 PM

I want to do my first track day this year, I'll come along to give you all someone to overtake :)

The Idle Biker 10-01-12 09:07 PM

Sunday 8th is possible for me. Not Monday, I'd better show some interest in my family on Monday.

HoL you should do it! Believe me, I'm not fast and there is always someone slower. I don't who it is but he always turns up.

HoL 10-01-12 09:36 PM

8th sounds good to me :)

Nobbylad 10-01-12 10:00 PM

Right then....Anglesey Sunday 8th April looks promising and as I'm reaching a milestone birthday next week (21 ;) ) I think I'm entitled to a track day as a prezzy!

I shall converse (plead) with the boss and advise accordingly.

Wish me luck.....

(FYI - Idle Biker - there's camping at Anglesey, plus some good B&B's nearby, so you could always get there Saturday night, stay over enjoy Sunday, then set off early doors Monday)

The Idle Biker 10-01-12 11:05 PM

Good luck, let us know. Happy 40th btw.

Will prob' head up Saturday pm and B&B as you said.

All sounds good to me.

Nobbylad 11-01-12 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Idle Biker (Post 2646418)
Good luck, let us know. Happy 40th btw.

Will prob' head up Saturday pm and B&B as you said.

All sounds good to me.

WTF?!?!

I SAID 21! :smt107

sv4me 11-01-12 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobbylad (Post 2646596)
WTF?!?!

I SAID 21! :smt107

sv4me
D.O.B 10th January 2012

:smt044

Paul the 6th 13-01-12 12:59 AM

is there a confirmed date for this yet? :)

HoL 13-01-12 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobbylad (Post 2646375)
Right then....Anglesey Sunday 8th April looks promising

I think we've all agreed on this date haven't we? i'll have to wait till payday to book tho :(

The Idle Biker 13-01-12 09:21 AM

Hey all, I feel like a late entry interloper here ;-) but I'm going to put it on my credit card in about 20 mins and book it up. 8th April.

I'll be bouncing like Tigger once I do. Can't wait.

April is pretty much the best time to go. I was bored so I looked up Angleseys weather history. So statistically speaking over the last 35 years (yawn).
  • April has the 2nd lowest number of rainy days of any month (6 days).
  • It also has the least rainfall of any month in the year in mm.

Gonna be blindingly good!

Edit: ( I'm booked Yee hah! )

Nobbylad 13-01-12 09:49 AM

I'm tempted to book now, but don't know if the wife has already taken the initiative (after my not so subtle hinting "All I want for my B'day is a trackday at Anglesey on 8th April" - lol).

I could ring up and ask them, but then I'd spoil any surprise. If she hasn't bought me it by my B'day (18th Jan - hint, hint) - I'll book it myself as a Birthday treat. Hopefully there'll be spaces left.

Which group did you book into Idle? I'll be going in Inters.

The Idle Biker 13-01-12 10:15 AM

I booked in Novice, I haven't been there before and I'm always a bit nervy at the start.
No Limits are usually good and will let you move up or down if you feel you are in the wrong group, so I might join you after the first couple of sessions.

Like your style with the hints. I had to adopt similar tactics with my Wife at Christmas to get my TDay vouchers.

sv4me 13-01-12 01:01 PM

Booked :D

In inters

HoL 13-01-12 02:00 PM

I'm going to end up in my overdraft anyway so... booked in as a novice (since there wasn't a lesser catagory) :) :)