View Single Post
Old 26-02-15, 06:00 PM   #1
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default Fork seal saver things

Yes, I know I should just strip it all down, replace everything and do the job properly but it's cold, I'm too busy and I'd rather go and chase my mates around the countryside at the weekend than strip the front end off the bike again.

K3 SV1000, been laid up under a cover outside for a few months. Took it out and one of the forks is chucking out oil. Was fine when it went away but no fine now. Chance are it was all just too cold and stuck when I first set off and something's not quite right or there's a bit of muck in there. If it was going bad through wear I'd have expected a light smearing, then a moderate smearing then loads of oil. But no, nothing, then loads.

I've heard about fork savers which I think you just poke pass the seals and they clear out the offending bit of grit, dead fly, hibernating squirrel etc. I guess they must work some times but not always. Either way, I don't have a fork saver to poke in there. Would a feeler gauge do the job?

Anyone successfully recovered from this point without all the hassle of stripping it down? If so what size, thickness, rigidity widget did you poke down the side of your fork?

Prize for dullest voice-over goes to ......... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1owBoyM-i3k
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.

Last edited by Mark_h; 26-02-15 at 06:08 PM.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote