SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-02-09, 05:16 PM   #1
youcanrunnaked

Default FOX Shock?

Anyone here familiar with Fox shocks for the first gen SV? I have a line on a second-hand Fox shock for my 2002 Suzuki SV650. It's from a first gen SV racing bike.

The bad: The seller says he knows nothing about it, other than it might be a double-clicker and has an Eibach spring (maybe sprung for a 180 lb rider -- he's not sure). Doesn't know how many miles/races it has on it, or if it's ever been rebuilt. Says guy he bought it from used it to race the weekend before he bough it, though, and it looks to him to be in good condition.

The good: It's a Fox. I understand these are pretty good. He lives nearby; says I can come look at it.

The questions:

Any way to tell what weight it's sprung for?

If it is sprung for 180, and I weigh 220, any harm in trying it as is before I spend even more money on it?

If it's sprung for 180, would I need to respring and revalve, or just respring?

Any way to tell if it's been rebuilt recently, or will need a rebuild now or soon?

About how much would I have to pay to have it rebuilt? Resprung? Revalved?

What would be a good price for it, given the circumstances? If it needs servicing, I don't want to end up paying anything close to what a new high-end shock would cost me.
Old 03-02-09, 07:55 PM   #2
zadar

Default Re: FOX Shock?

there should be spring rate number stamped on spring somewhere.
if you not racing correct spring rate for 180 racer should be good for you on street.
hard to tell if it was rebuilt recently.it depend who did it.
rebuild with spring and revalve is around $250.
$300 is most I would pay for it.it is good shock but not on level with newer stuff.rebound circuit is low spot.they don't make those any more.fox is out of motorcycles,however you can still get parts for it.
Old 03-02-09, 08:14 PM   #3
youcanrunnaked

^^^ Thanks for the info. Fox customer service got back to me saying correct spring for me s/b 7" and 600 lbs, which they say is good for a 180 - 230 lb rider. So, maybe I lucked out and it's already sprung/valved for my needs.

They recommended a refurbish, since there's no way to tell if it's been done recently. I understand that's about $100. That would still make this a fair deal. I don't need the latest and greatest.
Old 03-02-09, 08:19 PM   #4
zadar

600 is little light for your 220.
650 is what I would put on.
refurbish starts around $100,than you add whatever may need to be changed.
you don't want it to cost over $300 for Fox shock buy the time you done.if it is more you may want to look for better shock.$400 is going rate for Penske.
Old 03-02-09, 08:51 PM   #5
youcanrunnaked

Well, Fox says 600 lbs., but I'll see what others have to say. I think I'd be okay with a 600 lb spring. All the roads near me are flat, straight, and choked with traffic. Plus, a little light has to be better than the stock set-up.

seems to me it's impossible to refurbish, respring, and revalve any used shock, and have the total come out less than $300 -- that's what the service alone costs, without the cost of the shock.

Please find me a refurbished Penske, set up for my needs, for $400. I am not being sarcastic.
Old 03-02-09, 09:00 PM   #6
zadar

than go by what fox say
you will have to trust somebody,pick one.
I will refresh and sell you Penske for $500.all I said is used Penske goes for around $400.some can be as new and some can be beaten up.
Old 03-02-09, 09:11 PM   #7
youcanrunnaked

True, and some can be sprung and valved for me, and some not. Unfortunately, it seems like most are not.

Figuring this all out is not easy. I really appreciate all of your help.
Old 03-02-09, 09:23 PM   #8
zadar

Quote:
Originally Posted by youcanrunnaked View Post
True, and some can be sprung and valved for me, and some not. Unfortunately, it seems like most are not.

Figuring this all out is not easy. I really appreciate all of your help.
you welcome.
ps.I even agree with small part of what you said about me last night
Old 03-02-09, 09:45 PM   #9
youcanrunnaked

LOL. Don't go saying that. People will start to talk....
Old 03-02-09, 09:51 PM   #10
youcanrunnaked

Ha ha. Jim Lindemann at Lindemann Engineering was recommended to me by Fox for servicing this shock. He just responded that ideal spring for me s/b 650 lbs/in.; a bit lighter would be okay for cruising around, but not for spirited riding.

Gahhhh!