SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-05-06, 08:17 PM   #1
MeridiaNx

Default Body temperature affected by brain as well as conditions?

Was just blatting my home before rain set in, was looking well dodgy round Croft circuit way. Anyway, stopped for a breather but when I got back on I forgot to put my earplugs back in and it was getting really windy by this point. Just riding for a mile or so and I was freezing, shivering and looking forward to get back. Stopped when I could to put my plugs back in, but when I got going I felt a lot warmer, even though the temp. and wind was the same.

Seems to me like the sound of the rushing wind was contributing to my feeling cold, maybe because your body expects the wind to be accompanied by colder temperatures. Anyone found this and/or got any explanation why it might be the case. Just assuming its psychosomatic, but any further reasons would be welcome.
Old 27-05-06, 08:21 PM   #2
Jabba

You do lose heat out your ears - earplugs act as insulators.

I know it sounds daft but, as keithd would say, FACT
Old 28-05-06, 12:34 AM   #3
Warren

in that case, when im riding in the winter, im going to ditch my thermals, and instead listen to the "beach boys" to keep me warm
Old 28-05-06, 12:36 AM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

A big part of feeling cold's definately psychological... It's hindbrain stuff I think.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote