SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Rideouts & Meetings Arrange get togethers and rideouts

Old 14-06-13, 02:32 PM   #31
Purity14

Default Re: New Video - Crossgates to Newtown Run on an SV650 (Epic Road)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runako View Post
Agreed, this is partly what I tried to explain. There are many things the camera doesn't pick up which influence the reactions that people see when they view this POV.

The camera (hence the viewer) won't see the ninja sheep waiting to pounce on the brow of the hill! Or the tractor half turned in the road a quarter of a mile away. Or the reason for the sudden acceleration when the road clears. Or the elevation, or the gravelly surface 2 corners away. (I'll check out your vid later as I'm at work ... not working )
Quite! ..when you see my video - you don't 'quite' see the impending doom that lurks just over the edge of the road, namely the Big Effing Drop.

Watching the video back, I see a couple of places I 'could' have gone for the overtake.
And its easy for me to think that when I don't have my death less than a meter away in the wrong direction... - but why take chances like that? I ride for a nice time; its not a race.
Old 14-06-13, 07:59 PM   #32
Fordward

At the end of the day so long as it's done in a manner that is polite and respectful, within the rules of the forum, not abusive, not aggressive, not offensive, not sarcastic unless you are being humorous , treat people the same way as you would face to face, then you should be able to speak your mind, and say whatever you like.

Last edited by Fordward; 14-06-13 at 08:03 PM.
Old 14-06-13, 11:35 PM   #33
Runako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purity14 View Post
... And its easy for me to think that when I don't have my death less than a meter away in the wrong direction... - but why take chances like that? I ride for a nice time; its not a race.
Haha, so true so true. That's a very beautiful stretch of road by the way. And nice vid mate. Travelling to France in a bit so will be taking in some tremendous mountain roads. "J'espere ils traiter moi bien!"
Old 15-06-13, 06:30 AM   #34
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purity14 View Post
Thing is, fisheye lenses can change the perspective of things - Some roads are known to people, and some are unknown so you tend to push harder or less depending on what you know and what you can see.

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

I didn't know that road, and didn't want to risk the overtake on the Volvo until I knew it was safe, he wasn't exactly going slow himself though.

Its in Italy, so excuse the wrong way around lanes etc
Where's this filmed exactly dude? I recognise that road.

Two things, that Volvo driver was a bit erratic and all over the place so I don't blame you for not being in a rush to overtake.

Also, I've ridden roads like that a fair bit and I know exactly what you mean about the drops and certain death, it dominates your focus, I would ride on the opposite side when clear so I'm further away lol.

I've ridden some mountain passes in the French alps that have no barrier, no kerb, no bollards, nothing, so when you have nothing there it's even worse.
Old 15-06-13, 06:48 AM   #35
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordward View Post
At the end of the day so long as it's done in a manner that is polite and respectful, within the rules of the forum, not abusive, not aggressive, not offensive, not sarcastic unless you are being humorous , treat people the same way as you would face to face, then you should be able to speak your mind, and say whatever you like.
Will be interesting to see what response you get if you apply this "I can say what I like" theory face to face. I imagine a trip to casualty may be involved! Unsolicited critical feedback is rarely welcome.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-13, 08:25 AM   #36
Runako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
Will be interesting to see what response you get if you apply this "I can say what I like" theory face to face. I imagine a trip to casualty may be involved! Unsolicited critical feedback is rarely welcome.
Its fine. When you ride with someone you develop the respect. If someone feels they're good enough to be a critic then they're good enough to front up or post their own to show how its done.

Until then, it doesn't mean much. Not to say advice is irrelevant. Its a fool who ignores experience. But its also easy to be critic at distance. Damn I even criticise Valentino Rossi for riding crap in Moto GP!

Specialone, I've seen some of your threads with the amazing Mountain Road photo's. But have you put anything together in the touring section?

You must have a great idea of some amazing roads and locations that we can visit.

Purity14, re-title your vid and add some descrioption/tags. Its a nice vid for people to find and definitely worth more than 9 views

Last edited by Runako; 15-06-13 at 08:27 AM.
Old 15-06-13, 08:33 AM   #37
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runako View Post
Until then, it doesn't mean much. Not to say advice is irrelevant. Its a fool who ignores experience. But its also easy to be critic at distance. Damn I even criticise Valentino Rossi for riding crap in Moto GP!
)
Funny isn't it, they bin it or mess up a corner and we're the first ones shouting about how much better it should have been done at 200mph and then on the Sunday we go out and wobble round a roundabout at 40mph.
Old 15-06-13, 11:17 AM   #38
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
Funny isn't it, they bin it or mess up a corner and we're the first ones shouting about how much better it should have been done at 200mph and then on the Sunday we go out and wobble round a roundabout at 40mph.
But it's fair to criticise someone who's job it is to go round corners a 200 mph. I'd tend to give a plumber on a bike a bit more leeway. However if a plumber made a hash of swapping some taps for me I'd give him a hard time even if I could do no better myself.

Be interesting to see just how fantastic ottor boy is himself to be offering such robust advise.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-13, 05:23 PM   #39
Spank86

But then I don't fit taps at the weekend.
Old 15-06-13, 05:41 PM   #40
Fordward

Default Re: Re: New Video - Crossgates to Newtown Run on an SV650 (Epic Road)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
I've said nothing on this thread I wouldn't say face to face. I also find that unless you are being insulting, which it would take a lot of provocation to make me do, you can say whatever you like face to face, because its not what you say, its how you say it. Trips to casualty would usually involve somebody being insulting, or the person having the tact and interpersonal skills of a goat, or the recipient just being a maniac.

Whether critical feedback is welcome is again entirely down to the recipient, and whether or not their open minded and honest enough with themselves to receive it. Put things in an internet forum however, and don't be surprised if you get some.

BTW, I don't carry a camera on my helmet and have no interest in doing so, so I won't be posting any videos.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by Fordward; 15-06-13 at 05:48 PM.