SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-08-21, 09:57 AM   #1
Patricko2

Default Removing jack up kit

Hi all
I've just bought a SV650 naked 2002. A previous owner has fitted a 40mm jack up kit. I want to remove it and put the bike back to original.
Can anyone tell me what is involved and what parts I need.

This is the kit that's been fitted https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122041935356

Many thanks
Patrick
Patricko2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-21, 10:27 AM   #2
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: Removing jack up kit

Here are some standard links on eBay from a 1999 model
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-SV...-127635-2958-0

It's Fairly easy to unbolt and replace these links but you need to support the bike to get the weight off the rear suspension. I did a similar job once and placed the bike on the side stand with a Jack under the right footrest lifting the bike enough to take the weight of the bike. It might make easier to remove the rear wheel too

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-21, 11:12 AM   #3
Patricko2

Thanks so much John. I'll give that a go.
Old 08-08-21, 04:14 PM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Long term an ABBA sportsbike stand with front lift accessory is a great investment for working on bikes, If you get the swing arm removal kit ( a couple of bobbins that bolt onto footrest hangers ) you don't need to use the swingarm spindle to lift the whole bike. I leave the bobbings bolted to my bike all the time, makes it much easier to lift bike for routine stuff. Actually if you buy the swing arm kit you don't need the 'bike specific' adapters for the basic stand that are used to fit into swing arm spindle.

Lack of centre stands these days really is a pain, can't even buy a centre stand kit for my AL7 as the CAT gets in the way...

https://abbastands.co.uk/

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-21, 08:18 AM   #5
Patricko2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Long term an ABBA sportsbike stand with front lift accessory is a great investment for working on bikes, If you get the swing arm removal kit ( a couple of bobbins that bolt onto footrest hangers ) you don't need to use the swingarm spindle to lift the whole bike. I leave the bobbings bolted to my bike all the time, makes it much easier to lift bike for routine stuff. Actually if you buy the swing arm kit you don't need the 'bike specific' adapters for the basic stand that are used to fit into swing arm spindle.

Lack of centre stands these days really is a pain, can't even buy a centre stand kit for my AL7 as the CAT gets in the way...

https://abbastands.co.uk/
Thanks, I'll take a look at that. Agree about lack of centre stand. It's such a basic piece of equipment and easily removed if not wanted.
Old 09-08-21, 11:08 AM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I find the tensioner strap supplied with ABBA front end lift attachment ( https://abbastands.co.uk/product-detail.asp?pid=42 ) to be a bit clumsy to use, I fit the stand screw an M8 x 60 allen cap into the noggin welded under each swing arm leg on the Suzuki and fit the strap over rod sticking out of ABBA and the M8 bolt. Now to get the front of bike in the air ( bike sits front down on the ABBA with front wheel touching the floor ) I have to throw my weight ( all 12.5 stones ) across back of saddle to try to lift front end, and at the same time reach down to tension the strap, which often gets twisted and jams in buckle. Next time I put bike on stand I will try one of these ( already had a couple from some fencing I put up ), hopefully the 90mm of adjustment is enough to lift front end - may still need to make a small adapter strap or something if the gap between M8 bolt in swingarm and rod on ABBA too big, but may be easier to slip the eye of the turnbuckle over the M8 bolt than fiddle with the strap with my weight on the saddle. .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274780765...0c815d7aa27773

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 09-08-21 at 11:45 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-21, 12:46 PM   #7
Patricko2

The dog bones are now replaced with standard ones.
In the end I just put the bike on the side stand and lifted the right hand side with a car jack. I did tie the brake lever so the bike wouldn't roll.
Worked a treat with no more swearing than you'd expect.
Old 12-08-21, 06:40 PM   #8
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricko2 View Post
The dog bones are now replaced with standard ones.
In the end I just put the bike on the side stand and lifted the right hand side with a car jack. I did tie the brake lever so the bike wouldn't roll.
Worked a treat with no more swearing than you'd expect.
Good to hear.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk