SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-07-13, 11:26 PM   #11
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Default Re: Ride Height for a K3 Pointy?

Rears should have the lower pressure as they move more during riding, causing them to heat up, this in turn makes the pressure rise. You have the right pressures but the wrong way around!

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-13, 06:29 AM   #12
Feersum Enjinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil24_7 View Post
Rears should have the lower pressure as they move more during riding, causing them to heat up, this in turn makes the pressure rise. You have the right pressures but the wrong way around!
I always thought rear wheels have the higher pressure to stop the carcass moving around so much and so generating too much heat, and the front tyre being of less volume will heat up faster with a larger rise in pressure than rear. Every bike I have owned has had higher rear pressure than front. The only people I have heard of who ever run lower rear pressures are on racetracks, and even they seem to be in a minority. sorry to question you but it just seems counter intuitive.
Old 31-07-13, 06:47 AM   #13
jambo
Mega Poster

The standard pressures for an sv are 33 front, 36 rear. I often run 36 front, 42 rear. With sticky tyres at a warm track day you can end up running about 30 front, 28 or lower rear, but I'd say that's not generally what people use on the road.

Everyone can run their own pressures, but for the road I'd say the majority would have a higher cold rear than front as you just don't work the rear tyre hard enough to get it's hot pressure up past the front on the road.

Jambo
Sent from my thingie
Old 31-07-13, 07:44 AM   #14
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Well it seem I've been running mine the wrong way round for years! lol Seems to work for me, maybe I like the rear to 'move' a little but have no flex in the front? I will try changing them next time I am out to see what I think of them the other way around.

Incidentally I run track pressures as 29F 22R and they seem perfect!

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote