SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-08-10, 08:45 PM   #11
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Re: ROSPA Training

Oh someone else with an SV in Hx.

Hopefully not the one that screams down the back of Hamnetts at 2am and wakes me up

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-10, 08:20 AM   #12
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbut View Post
i'm trying to find time to get along to the local Thames valley group. Hopefully I should get more time to do the rides in winter - do you know if they still do observed rides in the dark? I'd assume so, just might make seeing your lifesavers etc hard from the instructor.
I'm an observer with the Thames Valley group and I go out in all weathers and in the dark. However I usually just do one or two dark sessions to cover "how do you ride in the dark" rather than doing lots of dark riding.

There is no pressure to get it all done fast so if you have fewer sessions during the shorter days it's no real issue. If you can make time at weekends there's almost always a slot between the frost thawing and the sun setting to go out. If you work odd hours there are a lot of self-employed and retired (OK, some some are getting on a bit) who can fit round your availability.

Give me a shout if you want any background on TVAM.

Cheers,
Mark
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-10, 09:24 AM   #13
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I did not know there was a local ROSPA group, I emailed them and rang the contact they sent me who said their group only do cars!

How did you get started?
Old 16-08-10, 09:42 AM   #14
AndyBrad

theres one in wakefield next week chap, im popping along wednesday night.
Old 16-08-10, 08:55 PM   #15
sloppy joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
Oh someone else with an SV in Hx.

Hopefully not the one that screams down the back of Hamnetts at 2am and wakes me up
Yes in Halifax, but not guilty on the late night hooliganism, bike is always safely tucked up at that time, as am I. Having a young son makes me very conscious of any noise after about 8pm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I did not know there was a local ROSPA group, I emailed them and rang the contact they sent me who said their group only do cars!

How did you get started?
Per Andybrad's comment, I have started with Wakefield group. Next meet where you can suss if you fancy joining is next Weds in Wakefield, at the main police training place I believe. Advertised as having a buffet supper. Dead posh. I will be looking forward to some pineapple and cheese.

http://www.wyg-roadar.org.uk/

I mailed Keith Bamford (on contacts page) who was pretty helpful. Believe you have to attend a meet to join, then get put with an instructor (may be a wait for instructor, I don't have a full time instructor just yet, chief instructor Mike is taking me out when he gets a chance).
Old 16-08-10, 08:58 PM   #16
sloppy joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Im interested in doing something like this, ill keep reading with interest.
I will take this as permission to keep boring people with updates as I get more observed rides in.
Old 16-08-10, 09:00 PM   #17
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy joe View Post
Yes in Halifax, but not guilty on the late night hooliganism, bike is always safely tucked up at that time, as am I. Having a young son makes me very conscious of any noise after about 8pm!
Well in that case.....thank fook fer that!
My other half has *****ed up his ears about this ROSPA jobbie, rather interested in how you carry on with it. People already think hes a bleddy copper, so he may as well go and play with them properly!!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-10, 09:34 AM   #18
Kalessin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy joe View Post
I will take this as permission to keep boring people with updates as I get more observed rides in.
Cool, I am reading with interest.

I joined the Northampton IAM last year and went a couple of times, but I had a bad experience with one of their observers and haven't been back.

I have renewed my membership though, and hopefully I'll return once my confidence improves.
Old 18-08-10, 11:02 AM   #19
williamturner1

Im with ROSPA Smart Surrey / Sussex / Kent. They are wicked. Great Guys. Great informative lectures (last one given by a Police Crash Forensics Investigator). Awesome feedback. Very sensible fees. They really help raise your hazard aweareness which on the south's crowded roads can't be a bad thing.

I did try the ripley IAM but I didn't really get on with them. Maybe being 24 not 64 had something to do with that.
Old 28-08-10, 08:41 PM   #20
sloppy joe

Went to first ROSPA meeting last Weds. It was, er, well, er, um, well I got a cuppa and some cake. Anyway, the actual training bit is cool. I'll leave it at that.