SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-01-13, 08:11 PM   #11
acting_strange

Default Re: ROSPA vs IAM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post
1 man doesn't warrant slating a whole organisation and writing the thing off. Ask for a different instructor and go from there.
Sorry but Im not sure you have read what I have written......I have tried all of that including contacting the main organisation....so IMHO in does warrant slating the whole organisation...

IAM member are you?...FAN??
Old 21-01-13, 08:12 PM   #12
Tomor
Mega Poster

Post Re: ROSPA vs IAM?

Quote:
1 man doesn't warrant slating a whole organisation and writing the thing off. Ask for a different instructor and go from there.
+1, you dont get on with the instructor, not the IAM. Switch and you may have a totally different experience.
Old 21-01-13, 08:15 PM   #13
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by acting_strange View Post
Sorry but Im not sure you have read what I have written......I have tried all of that including contacting the main organisation....so IMHO in does warrant slating the whole organisation...

I'm not IAM or ROSPA or anything else. All i've done in 9 years of riding is 1 bike safe course last year and thousands of miles on various bikes.

I've read over it all, clearly its a dispute between yourself and the instructor and no one wants to hear your complaint. I doubt they have a dedicated complaints channel, hence the lack of wanting to know or apparant 'care'.
Why not simply go for another ride with a different instructor and see how things go. Its your money to throw away if you feel you wouldn't get/learn anything from it.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-13, 08:21 PM   #14
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by acting_strange View Post

I'm not sure you'd have any more luck with ROSPA than you did with the IAM... BUT it's a different group so it would at least be a fresh start with new people so I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't at least give it a bash if you feel you want to.
Old 21-01-13, 08:26 PM   #15
acting_strange

Quote:
I'm not IAM or ROSPA or anything else. All i've done in 9 years of riding is 1 bike safe course last year and thousands of miles on various bikes.

I've read over it all, clearly its a dispute between yourself and the instructor and no one wants to hear your complaint. I doubt they have a dedicated complaints channel, hence the lack of wanting to know or apparant 'care'.
Why not simply go for another ride with a different instructor and see how things go. Its your money to throw away if you feel you wouldn't get/learn anything from it.

It was a dispute with the organisation...and YES they do have a dedicated complaints procedure...

I'm not bothering with this anymore ty for your opinion...
Old 21-01-13, 08:27 PM   #16
DJ123
Mega Poster

No worries, hope you find a solution to advanced riding tuition.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-13, 10:09 PM   #17
Fordward

you were just unlucky with your iam instructor there are good and bad riding instructors everywhere you go

that said if you werent happy with iam hq as well then not wanting to deal with the whole organisation is understandable

rospa are good too

i prefer gradings bronze silver gold not just pass fail

retests every 3 years keeps you sharp too
Old 21-01-13, 10:11 PM   #18
Mark_h
Mega Poster

With that open mind and positive attitude I'm sure you'll get a lot out of what-ever coaching you decide to go ahead with.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-13, 10:37 PM   #19
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

To be fair if you've had one disagreement like that with the observer and let it get that far then it's not standing your attitude in good stead.

If faced with a similar problem with an instructor type person would the sort of reply "well I don't think I was doing X but fair enough I'll bear it in mind... moving on..." not be a better approach? You can sometimes extract useful info from all sorts of instructors even if you don't agree with 50% of what they teach or even if you think they're prize monkeys.

If you're going to make a massive issue out of disagreeing with the most minor criticism then I think you will have issues with ROSPA too and should just man up and go out and ride like a fool like you're supposed to, when you're riding around the outside of the "advanced" groups on a day out you can think well sod you...

Last edited by Sid Squid; 22-01-13 at 10:06 PM.
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-13, 10:38 PM   #20
Tomor
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
To be fair if you've had one disagreement like that with the observer and let it get that far then it's not standing your attitude in good stead.

If faced with a similar problem with an instructor type person would the sort of reply "well I don't think I was doing X but fair enough I'll bear it in mind... moving on..." not be a better approach? You can sometimes extract useful info from all sorts of instructors even if you don't agree with 50% of what they teach or even if you think they're prize monkeys.

If you're going to make a massive issue out of disagreeing with the most minor criticism then I think you will have issues with ROSPA too and should just man up and go out and ride like a fool like you're supposed to, when you're riding around the outside of the "advanced" groups on a day out you can think well sod you...
+1 to all this, Attitude is as much of riding as the actual skill. if you get road rage at the smallest thing, you may not be around to tell that tale for much longer for example

Last edited by Sid Squid; 22-01-13 at 10:05 PM.
Tomor is offline   Reply With Quote