SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-11-12, 05:42 PM   #21
madnlooney

Default Re: Windows 8 for £25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
Can you do a fresh build even from the upgrade license? How does it validate your XP license?
it doesnt validate your old key just the new one you put in
Old 12-11-12, 05:26 PM   #22
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
6 hour format, 3 hour download, 1 hour install and my clunky old XP desktop now goes from off to browsing faster than Joe M at a Lambo convention!

The Win8 desktop will take a bit of getting used to but with a few mins messing you can make it all look like W7 anyway and still have super-fast start-up.
Ok so now got most of my life back together and everything except the scanner working well (need to mess with WIA but at leas the scanner now starts up so getting there)

So now I'm thinking about refreshing my apps. I've got a legit Office enterprise suite so that's all good. Itunes for music so good enough there. Found a nice little lightweight W8 radio player so that's good.

Any advice on a sensible photo editing suite. Previously I had Photoshop but it's a bit of a brute and I'd rather keep my licensing in a better shape than previously. So are any of the freebies any good or am I better replicating my Photoshop environment? PS facilities I use a bit are:-

Levels, a bit of background cloning and airbrushing, some selective cutting to lift out items to re-post elsewhere and some colour manipulation. I've not got a tablet for any real pen work and quickly get out of my depth with any of the advanced menus so any suggestions?
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 05:31 PM   #23
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Google for "Gnu Image Manipulation Program" - or GIMP as its better know.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-12, 08:06 AM   #24
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
Google for "Gnu Image Manipulation Program" - or GIMP as its better know.
Ah... I never realised that was what it stood for!
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-12, 01:36 AM   #25
Runako

Ok following on from the W8 download, I've come across a problem. I was lent a DVD which will not play. I went to Sony themselves to query and they have explained the following:

"I understand that the Blu-ray player is not working after upgrading to Windows 8 and you wish to have the Windows 8 compatible drivers for your computer. Microsoft has made the decision that Windows 8 editions will no longer include Windows Media Center by default as had been the case in previous versions of Windows. The result is that when you upgrade to the Windows 8 operating system, or purchase a new computer with the Windows 8 operating system, Windows Media Center will not be installed. Because of this, Blu-ray Disc (BD) and DVD movies will not playback without the installation of additional software"

The "Additional Software" can only be purchased from Sony (Power DVD). Although they have kindly explained that I can get basic DVD functionality by doing a search for " Windows 8 DVD player", but they cannot recommend anyone in particular. So I take my chances with downloading some malware or purchase Sony's software.

This angers me, because it appears that by paying to "upgrade" my computer its removed some of its basic functions, that I will have to pay to regain. What?

Albeit I very rarely watch DVD'd these days but this is besides the point, you know what I mean? Other than the lack of (free) drivers, W8 is alright.
Old 24-12-12, 08:00 AM   #26
muzikill
Mega Poster

You can get windows media centre for windows 8 for free just now which adds the functions back in.
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-12, 09:21 AM   #27
Lazadude

Download VLC, (video lan player), plays everything and anything.

It's shareware, so free etc.
Old 24-12-12, 11:04 AM   #28
Runako

Cheers, will do.
Old 24-12-12, 11:10 AM   #29
5hort5

Second for VLC, tis very good

Welcome to the forum Lazadude.
5hort5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-12, 11:19 AM   #30
joshwalker094
Mega Poster

Hmm, is it really good?
Might update my w7 laptop, it's got a bit slow even though its Decent spec
Originally Posted by Reeder View Post
Josh Walker sounds quite an epic name to be honest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder View Post
JOSH WALKERRRRRRRRRRRR

joshwalker094 is offline   Reply With Quote