SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 17-11-15, 12:46 PM   #21
Cymraeg_Atodeg

Default Re: Manual vs automatic?

I have only ever had manual cars until my current Jag XF, the reason I bought the Jag (which comes only in Automatic) was because I drove my dad's E46 330d and found it so much more relaxing a drive when you don't need to worry about the gears.

When I want to have a laugh I can change gears with the "flappy paddles," but as has been said above, a lot of the time you leave the car do it's own thing, it knows more about torque curves and gearing than you do anyway.

I'd get the auto, you'll never look back!
Old 17-11-15, 06:44 PM   #22
Toooldtodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Just a word of warning though, there's a little stick thing that pokes out near the steering wheel. You can flick it up and down apparently but I have to say I've never tried it, I think it must be there for decoration.
He he!

When you think your job is pointless, spare a thought for the workers who fit indicators to BMWs.
Old 17-11-15, 09:01 PM   #23
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Hold on, I have a BMW bike

AND CAR!
Old 18-11-15, 10:23 AM   #24
atassiedevil

I have a BMW car, and my indicators are perfectly functional and get used all the time.
Old 18-11-15, 01:43 PM   #25
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Anyone with a BMW bike is excused the use of them due to the fecking retarded switch layout.

Why use one switch when you can use 3?!

Much like BMW wiring in the cars.... why use one switch when you could use one switch, three microprocessors, two relays, four fuses and a mile of wire to do the exact same job!
Old 18-11-15, 01:57 PM   #26
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
So don't let opinions of people who've only ever driven older, number autoboxes sway you too much as they have really evolved.
Agreed. I was a dyed in the wool manual 'box man until I had a go in a modern auto. I love my DSG gearbox and wouldn't go back to manual now.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-15, 02:39 PM   #27
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Thinking about it, I've had a brief go in a 320D, around 2 year old? That did feel more "like an auto" in that it didn't seem to have the same responsiveness as a manual, but this was just around town and it certainly did have a reasonable amount of shove when you gave it a bootful.

The range rover was far more responsive but I suspect this was due to having a ridiculous 4.4l TDV8 massaging it along.

DSG's are a different animal than an auto altogether "best of both" I suppose as the engine is still properly connected to the wheels rather than by a fluid clutch.
Old 18-11-15, 02:47 PM   #28
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Yes you are right Chris and as a result the shifts are not quite so seamless. The quality of the shift is still very good, better than me almost every time. Down changes are great. Not having a torque converter gives excellent engine braking and good economy in this hilly part of the world.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-15, 07:09 PM   #29
Toooldtodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Hold on, I have a BMW bike

AND CAR!
You ride a bike! Of course you use indicators!!

IMHO everyone should experience biking and then see how our honed skills make us all better car drivers... with a penchant for using the right pedal a bit more.

No disrespect intended my dear orger!

Old 19-11-15, 07:52 AM   #30
Fordward

I often don't indicate when there's nobody else can benefit from it. Either the manoeuvre I'm making has absolutely zero impact on them, ie. I'm not going to tell somebody behind me, that I'm peeling off up a motorway slip road, unless they are either catching me or they are close enough to be affected by it.

Or if the people who are affected can't see it, like turning left from a give way onto a dual carriageway where there's no break in the central reservation (left turn only), for vehicles behind me there is only one way I can go, for vehicles on the dual carriageway approaching from my right, they can't see my left indicator anyway.

Always bemuses me when I see somebody indicating for absolutely no reason, and I wonder how often those same people criticise me when I choose not to indicate for a good reason.

Anyway, I agree that the 520 is a luxury family car designed for comfort and ease of use, with a very good auto box. I can't see why anyone would want one with a manual gearbox of they had a choice.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk