SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-11-08, 08:45 AM   #21
sv_rider1990

Default Re: Upgrading from 650 to 1000

Id still rather have a later TL1000 than the SV1000 lol!!! Keep the curves going its all about the curves!!
Old 10-11-08, 08:45 AM   #22
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_rider1990 View Post
Id still rather have a later TL1000 than the SV1000 lol!!!
Hmmm... TL1000S, I miss her!
Old 10-11-08, 08:54 AM   #23
Mark_h
Mega Poster

I went from a curvy 650 to a thou. I really wanted something a bit less pointy and a lot less injected but no TL's about and no tidy firestorms so ended up with my current SV1000.

Perhaps it lacks a little soul and it certainly lacks curves but goes like stink and cheap as chips.

If you want an economical way of tasting life with a litre twin I see no better way. Then you can decide if you want to go the more exotic Italian route or try an IL4 if you find the SV lacking in anything other than the asthetic department. And to be honest when I'm riding it I don't actually get to see alot of it and having a fairly ugly bike makes it less likely to be stolen when parked next to far sexier kit.

There are very few truly bad bikes these days. They are all quick enough, go round corners well enough and stop rapidly enough to suit all but the most demanding rider. More often than not a bit of rider training (track or road) will get a lot more out of a bike than trading up to a better bike.

But hey....what do I know?
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-08, 12:00 PM   #24
ivantate

I went from Curvy 650S to Pointy 650S and onto a 1000S. (EsseVu Mille as the guys out here call it)

I have a fully accessorised all black K5 also with power commander, cans and full luggage kit. So it can go for fast runs and also go touring with the missus. She reckons the thou feels completely different to the 650, not sure why but I wont argue as she prefers it. Could be that it does feel more stable, also the speed when laden is effortless which makes it feel more comfortable. Most of my riding is done between 3500-5500 RPM, anything over that and the noise of my Viper cans and the way everything flying past you is amazing. I havent ridden a proper IL4 1000 but this is plenty quick enough for me ever!!

It is a different bike to the 650 and has been perfect for out here in Italy, not sure if I would have enjoyed riding to and from work in the UK on it as much as the 650 though. Bought it before trying it because after the 650s being so good I knew that if I didnt get one then I would always wonder what it was like living with one.

I am tempted to go with a Renthall conversion, Banditmania has a nice one advertised on ebay but the bike will be sat around from now on as unfortunately the insurance company isnt happy that I am working out here and I have to ride back to the UK within the next 30 days. Another big run that it will be dispatched effortlessly.
Old 10-11-08, 12:46 PM   #25
ivantate

I think the most frustrating part of the bike is the clutch, I cant get the bite point at the correct lever position for my hand. On the 650 you could tweak the cable and get it just right whereas pulling away is never quite as controlled on the thou.
Old 10-11-08, 03:54 PM   #26
pookie

yep that be the hydraulic clutch.. if any one has any pointers re adjusting it, gratefully recieved.
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-08, 03:56 PM   #27
Mark_h
Mega Poster

It seems to bite a lot further out than the cable clutch but I do not think it's adjustable. Probalby the same for any bike with a hydrolic clutch.

Adjust the span to suit finger length then get used to it
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 10:50 PM   #28
nigelv68

Went from racing minitwins to owning an 05 650 on the road as I loved racing it so much...... alas got ****ed of being seen off by subaru impretza's, evo's and the like !! so my male pride/ego got the better of me even though I had just sorted the bike out with renthals and a new chain .With now a comfort kit by LSL , why change ?
BUT I did it !!

Now got an 06 1000 sz with very low miles running Devil magnum race cans( bloody awsome sound !! ) Fantastic bike for the money( £2950)
The only downside for me is I am getting to be a whimp and the riding position is too extreme for my daily commute so Banditmania black annodised top yoke comfort kit ordered..... and that also means those dreaded wheelies will be even easier .

Great Bike , and in the GSXR colours has caught out a few at work, thinking its the new GSXR then I start her up and I see puzzled faces.
Old 16-11-08, 08:44 AM   #29
SV Muppet

Question 650 to 1000 upgrade?

Who has upgraded from a SV650 to a 1000?

And how much better is the 1000 to ride, apart from the obvious power advantage? I believe the suspension has more adjustability.
Old 16-11-08, 11:38 PM   #30
Ratty

Mr Muppet

In my opinion the thou is better in almost every way. It’s comfier, smoother, faster, brakes batter and handles really well once you have dialled the suspension into you. Everybody will tell you it’s such a different bike to handle but once you have set it up to suit you, you will love the planted feel and the drive you get out of the corners. It is less flickable but I’m 5’ 5 ½” (yes that ½” is important to me) and 11 stone, wet through in my gear and I have no problem at all. I loved my 6 1/2 SK3 and just wanted something a bit more, and I honestly think that’s what I got with my SZ. I’d buy a K5 or later for the engine / ECU mods which give better power delivery, but they are still cheap as chips. If your after the latest sports bike then forget it, but if you want a character full everyday bike then try the thou. Just give it a little time to get under you skin. I wouldn’t sell mine now. I’d only complement it with different machine. Clutch bite is cack though .

Alan

Last edited by Ratty; 11-10-09 at 07:47 PM.
Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote