SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-11-07, 01:31 PM   #21
KnightRider
Mega Poster

Default Re: Help...flat battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
Parking lights?

Good call but no. When I put the bike away I distinctly remember leaving the parking lights on and then going back to turn them off again.

CBR600RR7

Link to map of TV members...if your not on the map then PM me. My facebook profile
KnightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-07, 01:43 PM   #22
ASM-Forever

Most likely its been sat around for the three months it was in for repair. It was probably not trickle charged and the alarm has probably slowly munched the battery. Thats my best guess.
Old 12-11-07, 01:49 PM   #23
KnightRider
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM-Forever View Post
Most likely its been sat around for the three months it was in for repair. It was probably not trickle charged and the alarm has probably slowly munched the battery. Thats my best guess.
I think you are probably right. Once quick question though. If the battery charges up again should I still go through the hassle of trying to get it replaced under warrenty?

CBR600RR7

Link to map of TV members...if your not on the map then PM me. My facebook profile
Old 12-11-07, 02:14 PM   #24
skint

Had very similar problem to K3 Gixer. Left standing for a couple of weeks and that was that. tried charger with recover facility etc ok for a couple of runs then dead again. Been on recovery charger for well over week but dead as dead can be. Result - new battery!
Old 12-11-07, 02:15 PM   #25
Mr Toad

Bike batteries are quite small and exposed to the elements compared to a car battery - the first sign of cold weather can often cause havoc, and it was cold last night, so I guess that's what did it. Try charging it before chucking it out, you might be lucky, although the chances are that if it's died once, then it will go again
Old 12-11-07, 02:17 PM   #26
ASM-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider View Post
I think you are probably right. Once quick question though. If the battery charges up again should I still go through the hassle of trying to get it replaced under warrenty?
If the battery is dodgy, then it will never hold its charge as well as it did before. In conjunction with an alarm, it MAY need replacing, just for the convenience of reliably getting you to work.

However if you slip the bike on a trickle charger when you come in, it should still be fine to use. I had a knackered battery that i used for 6 months...it just needs more care to keep it going.

As its under warranty, i reckon it must be worth trying to get a new one. Worst case scenario you take it in and they tell you its ok to use.

Have you been charging it in the evenings...as with all the reduced visibility/light, you're probably riding with lights on all the time. Before you decide the battery is knackered, give it a good charge and give it a chance.
Old 12-11-07, 02:20 PM   #27
skint

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider View Post
How did that happen?
Trying to start one off t'other but can't remember which way round, don't s'pose will ever know if it was wrong polarity but either way it was 'terminal'
Old 12-11-07, 02:44 PM   #28
KnightRider
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM-Forever View Post
If the battery is dodgy, then it will never hold its charge as well as it did before. In conjunction with an alarm, it MAY need replacing, just for the convenience of reliably getting you to work.

However if you slip the bike on a trickle charger when you come in, it should still be fine to use. I had a knackered battery that i used for 6 months...it just needs more care to keep it going.

As its under warranty, i reckon it must be worth trying to get a new one. Worst case scenario you take it in and they tell you its ok to use.

Have you been charging it in the evenings...as with all the reduced visibility/light, you're probably riding with lights on all the time. Before you decide the battery is knackered, give it a good charge and give it a chance.
Will see if I can get a new one under warrenty. Havent charged it in the evenings, but then again the lights on the SV are always on so darkness makes no difference!

CBR600RR7