SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Riding Gear Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 03-11-08, 04:49 PM   #21
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Default Re: Heated Grips?

J&S Accessories sell the old analogue version of "Oxford HotGrips" but under the name "DR BIKE". £34.99.

Just bought a set cos my left grip died. Gives me a spare controller too, as I am on my second controller in 3yrs.

I only have mine on halfway but thats with non-winter gloves and a low speed-ish commute. Burny hot-hot.

Same wiring between old and new? Junk the digi and fit the DR BIKE analogue controller?

Not heard anybody say anything good about those new digi ones.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 04:52 PM   #22
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRAMASHER View Post

Not heard anybody say anything good about those new digi ones.
the new digi ones are great
Old 03-11-08, 04:54 PM   #23
Grinch

No they are not.
Old 03-11-08, 04:55 PM   #24
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
No they are not.

+1

they are only great if your bike....or rather, charging circuit and battery, are also great
Old 03-11-08, 04:55 PM   #25
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikenipple View Post
I fitted some Hot Grips a few weeks back and only had 3 or 4 journeys where they worked...the blue LED would turn on and then back off after about half a second, and that's it.
I'm sending the control unit back tomorrow to be replaced. It's a nice idea to have all of this fancy electronic trickery built-in but only if they make it bloody work properly...
I went to Maplins and bought my own bits to make a controller, just haven't got round to doing it yet.
Old 03-11-08, 04:57 PM   #26
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
+1

they are only great if your bike....or rather, charging circuit and battery, are also great
I thought it was the battery going flat, but when I get home I plug the bike in to the optimate and it goes straight to 'maintain' rather then charge the battery. So I'll get round to soldering a new one at some point.
Old 03-11-08, 04:59 PM   #27
hovis

Quote:
No they are not.
well i like mine

(so far anywho)
Old 03-11-08, 04:59 PM   #28
Grinch

As long as you keep your lights off, I ride in the dark, so lights win over heated grips.
Old 03-11-08, 05:01 PM   #29
Mark_h
Mega Poster

The new digi ones are fine if
a) you wire them up like the instructions say so and
b) the electrics on your bike are in good working order.

They are designed to shut down if the bike is not running (voltage drops to c12v) or if other devices are dropping the voltage down through excessive load (higher power lights, heated underpants etc). This is a good thing as it saves having to wire them through a ignition switched realy for those of us who forget to turn stuff off. However this is a bad thing if you have heated underpants or sub-optimal electrics.

Other problem with the new ones is it's a lot more difficult to operate it if you can't see it. On my old curvy I had the old controller fitted down by the expansion container for the coolent. Out of the way but if you wanted to turn on or adjust while going along you could just fumble around down there until you found the button that made things warmer (now where have I heard that before ) this is a lot harder to do with push-button one so you either have to mount it where you can see it or remember to set unit up before you set-off and accept you're going to have to pull over each time you want to adjust it AND you have to turn it on again each time you get off to go for a pee or bacon butty (now where have I heard that before).

I've burned out 1 old style one and no new fangled ones to-date.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 05:10 PM   #30
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
I went to Maplins and bought my own bits to make a controller, just haven't got round to doing it yet.
grinch, when you make it, can you send me instructions? I ight end up doing my own one. I kinda know what I need, but electronics is beyond me....

I'm thinking my problems is due to duffy battery, but I'll find that out this weekend when I stick it on an optimate and let my dad test the charging circuit

YC hasnt ruled out goosed battery either on my bike. Im hoping thats all it is