SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-06-14, 02:19 PM   #31
Spank86

Default Re: Speeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Do you think I'm completely dumb,
...wait, this is one of those rhetorical questions isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
I completely understand what they've done!

Its still the ability to raise more cash, even though how often do magistrates impose the MAXIMUM fine after the defendant has pleaded how poor he is, after trying to support his wife and 15 kids, whilst running his Bentley
The magistrates impose the maximum fine very rarely, of course this is probably party because it IS the maximum, doesn't leave you anywhere to go when someone does something worse, if there's a new maximum then there's a new scale of fines. Yes it'll increase revenue but then if you're at a magistrates court for a motoring offense in the first place you're probably fair game (or innocent).
Old 10-06-14, 03:11 PM   #32
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
...wait, this is one of those rhetorical questions isn't it?
You're so funny, I almost fell off a cliff
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-14, 03:22 PM   #33
SUPERSTARDJ01

Well, at the end of the day you were caught no matter how s**t it is, we all take the risk (bikes and cars) when we speed, if you get thrills from going fast you either need stick to roads with less Police, only ride track days or learn to have fun without going fast (which most of us have found) i.e. learn to corner properly etc etc, if you've come on here (and it seems you have) looking for sympathy (as already said) tough it wont happen, if you've come on here advising of Police presence or to say guys I've been a bit of a prat and been caught speeding twice in 1 month, fair play, most will say thanks for the warning or live and learn and slow down a little.

Moral of the story is.... know your audience and SLOW the f**k down before you lose your license, I mean I do feel for you, but dude, you didn't learn the first time so please please please learn this time.

Also you could maybe benefit from advanced lessons.

Last edited by SUPERSTARDJ01; 10-06-14 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-06-14, 04:27 PM   #34
Spank86

Incidentally one of the things they're raising the potential fines for IS phone use at the wheel.

Of course very few people will actually see these fines unless they keep re-offending.
Old 10-06-14, 09:25 PM   #35
keith_d
Mega Poster

Quote:
Of course very few people will actually see these fines unless they keep re-offending.
Or get caught in a more expensive car than the magistrate can afford.

But with new maximum fines I suspect the guidelines to magistrates will rise proportionately, effectively quadrupling fines across the board for those people who can pay. I can't help wondering if this is to stop people challenging FPNs through the courts because they risk of a swingeing fine if the challenge is unsuccessful. Better an unsafe £100 + 3 points than risking a £10,000 fine if the magistrate thinks you're taking the p***.

Sadly none of this will affect Mr A. Scrote who is on benefits and driving around with no MoT/tax/insurance/license because he won't be paying the new fines. He'll just have his £50 deathtrap crushed and be back on the roads next week in a different one.

Keith (feeling a bit more cynical than usual tonight)

Last edited by keith_d; 11-06-14 at 05:44 AM.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 06:07 AM   #36
SUPERSTARDJ01

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
Or get caught in a more expensive car than the magistrate can afford.

But with new maximum fines I suspect the guidelines to magistrates will rise proportionately, effectively quadrupling fines across the board for those people who can pay. I can't help wondering if this is to stop people challenging FPNs through the courts because they risk of a swingeing fine if the challenge is unsuccessful. Better an unsafe £100 + 3 points than risking a £10,000 fine if the magistrate thinks you're taking the p***.

Sadly none of this will affect Mr A. Scrote who is on benefits and driving around with no MoT/tax/insurance/license because he won't be paying the new fines. He'll just have his £50 deathtrap crushed and be back on the roads next week in a different one.

Keith (feeling a bit more cynical than usual tonight)
It's not fair to generalise everyone on benefits, most people do work but only part time due to family commitments and most on job seekers want to work or can't work, for instance a friend of mine was a labourer, he got knocked off his zx10 and has been physically unable to work due a shattered femur, he wants to work but can't yet, job seekers have stopped his money, the government refuse to pay him disability and say he can and should be working yet the hospital tell he can't, so he's on benefits but doesn't scam the law he still pays car insurance on his wifes car.
Old 11-06-14, 08:40 AM   #37
Spank86

Has he considered doing a less physical job?
Old 11-06-14, 09:00 AM   #38
SUPERSTARDJ01

Quote:
Has he considered doing a less physical job?
he only knows the building trade, he's also now perminantley disabled his left leg is 1 1/2" shorter, the hospital ahve said he can't work yet.
Old 11-06-14, 11:16 AM   #39
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSTARDJ01 View Post
he only knows the building trade, he's also now perminantley disabled his left leg is 1 1/2" shorter, the hospital ahve said he can't work yet.
How old is he?
Old 11-06-14, 11:25 AM   #40
SUPERSTARDJ01

About 46