SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-08-15, 03:36 PM   #41
mister c
Mega Poster

Default Re: Win10

I've had 10 for about a week now & don't think that there is much difference between it & 8.1. Seems cleaner on start up & it seems to run quite smoothly, so will stick with it
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 03:41 PM   #42
Amadeus

I used the preview version of Win 10 to create a VM in Vmware workstation - works fine.
My PC is running Win 7 Pro.

I'll probably buy a new disk and install on that just so I can go back to my old one if I need to. I'd like to avoid the need to install Win7 on my new disk and then upgrade it; is there a way around that other than by buying a Win10 licence? It won't accept my Win7 key will it?
Or do I use the preview version I used to create my VM and let that apply updates to become the full thing? I don't even know if that will work now Win10 has been released proper.

Thoughts?
Old 22-12-15, 12:33 PM   #43
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

So have MS updated it yet ?.
Old 22-12-15, 03:19 PM   #44
Skip
Mega Poster

I have been directed to update all our machines at work during this "free" period...! One Director has it currently and has unearthed a few issues - most have been addressed by MS now with updates thankfully. I am going to take the plunge on my work laptop after Christmas (will image my current one so I can always go back!)
Old 22-12-15, 03:30 PM   #45
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Seems fine to me now. It just needs a few tweaks to get rid of the notification area and stuff and it isn't much different to 7 looks wise. The start menu is still pants though
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-15, 04:38 PM   #46
Mark_h
Mega Poster

There was a major W10 patch a couple of weeks back. I think that had a few corporate features tweaked. Suggest you look at that. HOWEVER I think if you upgrade now you'll be on the old W10 build for 30 days then it'll flush your W8 build and offer the W10 update.

I use W10 on all my home machines now and it's been OK up to now.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-15, 12:21 AM   #47
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Win 10 and loving it
Old 23-12-15, 11:51 AM   #48
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

One thing that's bugging me... in music folders there is no longer the details section at the bottom showing file info with the tag editor. Also there isn't a "play all" button that I can see
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-16, 04:15 PM   #49
Kenzie

Finally managed to get the upgrade to work. Main thing that prompted me to do it was PS4 remote play. Can now play PS4 via my PC if my wife is watching tv. Don't have to squint as a small PS Vita screen any more!
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-16, 05:30 PM   #50
ethariel

Been running Win10 as a test about 4 months before the insider/developer builds came out.

Probably the most stable Windows platform to date and for (ahem) games it's been relativley flawless, runnin it on my games pc laptop and windows tablet. Booting form an SSD takes about 6 seconds to the login screen.

If you liek the Win 7 and before goody of the start button, Stardock do 'Start 10' which returns your desktop to something usefull of you are not running on a touch screen.

Just remember to have a good root about and turn off every single piece of spywware built into the OS (several guides about how to do it) and of course there are the obligatory patches (unless you are running an enterprise edition) so sometimes its a pain in the bum waiting 20m for a new build to install when you really need to log in!

(PS No I don't work for MS!)
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote