SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Mini-Twins Goto Minitwins Official Site

Old 23-11-13, 05:36 PM   #1
Minty101

Default Which tyre warmers?

Hi all I need some tyre warmers but am not sure what to get there for my mini twin it's my 1st year next year there so many to choose from like to know what you use how you rate them ??
Old 23-11-13, 10:34 PM   #2
Redmist

Default Re: Which tyre warmers ???

I bought the "Bike it" ones, they're on the budget side but they saw me through the 2013 trackday season with no issues and I'll be using them again next year.

I heard Diamond warmers are the best but naturally cost more.

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-13, 11:28 PM   #3
The Idle Biker

Like anything, you get get what you pays for, to a point. I went budget brand - Holyrod.
The Company has a great reputation for Customer service.
The warmers have not let me down in two years. They heat up quick and have been robust.
One thing I'd say is get a set with elasticated edges not the draw strings and toggles like I've got. The draw strings are a bit of a pain and the toggles keep getting caught on the calipers when you take them off.
Old 24-11-13, 01:42 PM   #4
wideguy

http://www.rcramer.com/shop/rrw_weaving.shtml
An interesting test, originally about the useless danger of weaving to try to warm tires, but also testing a variety of ways that do warm tires. Check the chart at the end, which shows that a standard warm up lap will get your tires almost as warm as tire warmers, and also that sitting on the grid for even a short time loses that tire warmer heat very quickly.
I know, you can go faster with more confidence on your warm up lap with tire warmer warmed tires, but, warm up laps are not just for bringing tires up to temp, they are also for warming up your body and preparing your mind.
Old 24-11-13, 06:16 PM   #5
Minty101

Default Which tyre warmers ???

Has Any tried uber or heard of them they Any good
Old 25-11-13, 08:02 AM   #6
speedyandypandy

One must not forget that tyre warmers has more than 1 function, on a trackday you will be on track 5-8 times, if you use warmers correctly it will count as 1 heat cycle on your tyres, if not the tyres will get 5-8 heat cycles, and will become worse much faster. A tyre can be "used up" before the thread/rubber is at it's limit.
Old 25-11-13, 01:49 PM   #7
wideguy

Default Re: Which tyre warmers?

Here's some info from the head of Dunlop's U.S. race tire division, with a link on how Dunlop recommends you use tire warmers.
A tire get's "used up" for track use by losing rubber before it gets "used up" by heat cycling. Overheating tires on the track seems to ruin them faster...
http://forums.superbikeschool.com/in...showtopic=2554
Old 25-11-13, 07:23 PM   #8
Minty101

Default Which tyre warmers?

What warmers do you lot use ?
Old 25-11-13, 09:23 PM   #9
thmjo1

I used Diamond warmers on a minitwin and they were fantastic. Excellent service as well, fixed a small hole in the rear warmer for £25 and had the thing back to me in 3 days! Cost about £100 off ebay and used them for 3 years. Highly recommended.
Old 25-11-13, 10:20 PM   #10
Redmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideguy View Post
Here's some info from the head of Dunlop's U.S. race tire division, with a link on how Dunlop recommends you use tire warmers.
A tire get's "used up" for track use by losing rubber before it gets "used up" by heat cycling. Overheating tires on the track seems to ruin them faster...
http://forums.superbikeschool.com/in...showtopic=2554
You have to remember that our UK climate may be a little different to yours mate!!

I first used my warmers on a day when the temperature barely reached 7 deg C or about 44F in your language. I was damn well glad of my warmers then I can tell you!!

But yeah I'm sure there's equal ways to argue for and against using them generally.

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote