SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-04-07, 02:35 PM   #1
101bigshane101

Default Air Filter

Hi there,
I Have a 99 SV650s Restricted to 33bhp, is a performance filter going to make any diff.?

i have been told it affects the tone and i know it will give the engine more protection

which one is better BMC race or K&N?

thanks!
Old 14-04-07, 05:49 PM   #2
Nekkid

Default Re: Air Filter

Hi there.

I am assuming your bike is restricted as you haven't passed DAS. If so, you'll be riding illegaly if you increase the HP by means of the filter or anything else.
I don't know the answer to your original question, but stay on the right side of the law, man!
Old 14-04-07, 06:01 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

Most performance filters actually offer less protection than standard... But unless you live in a desert, that won't be an issue anyway. The OEM filters in both SVs are pretty well designed.

In terms of performance, the BMC Race RS is the best drop-in for the curvy, but that's not what you're after here obviously, as you're restricted- the best bet if you're not tuning is to leave it alone tbh.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-07, 02:39 AM   #4
kcowgergmm

i cant blame you for wanting a more powerful bike
Old 15-04-07, 08:20 AM   #5
kcowgergmm

on a more serious note it probably is good learning with less power i learned on a 25 +- 5 hp KLR 250. when i first got my sv and went ridding with my friend i was taking turns slow and then hammering it in straight lines to keep up. you are better off learning how to take turns good first and then when you get more power you can dominate. Be safe always ride with a helmet jacket and pants if you don't believe me ask BigApe learn from his accident http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=64746
Old 15-04-07, 08:30 AM   #6
101bigshane101

hi, thanks for the replies
i have a Remus high level on it so thats another reason i though performance filter, more air in, more air out.

and i always ride with the correct gear lol, don't worry im safe as can be. my dad has all the proof in scars of why to wear the right kit

thanx
Old 15-04-07, 12:16 PM   #7
danf1234

I have a remus high level can on my bike and was thinking of putting a K&N on and removing the snorkal. Will I see any significant performance gain though?
Old 15-04-07, 01:11 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101bigshane101 View Post
hi, thanks for the replies
i have a Remus high level on it so thats another reason i though performance filter, more air in, more air out.
Yup, but tbh not a huge amount unless you use one of the better filters, ie, pods or Race RS, maybe Pipercross (not tried that one) K&N and BMC Race are pretty much a waste of money- you can fit a K&N without rejetting, that tells you how much extra air they shift.

But there's really no point in tuning a 33bhp SV, as the restrictors are still going to cripple it- the best you can really hope for is to make it illegal for you to ride Even with a full fat SV induction tuning is expensive and time consuming for fairly small gains, the sensible thing to do for anyone is to not mess around with it, unless you're getting seriously into tuning it. IMO
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-07, 09:01 PM   #9
sv650nutter149

replacing the air filter for race is good i guess with pipe as well on 33bhp pointy with it done and then put on dyno its still 33bhp and i think its the same with ne other bike.......... spoke to a micron service guy bout powercommander asked him if it derestricts the bike and he said yeah it does, then spoke to powercommander them selves and they said it doesnt..... some ppl i think should know what they r chatting bout........
Old 15-04-07, 10:25 PM   #10
Paws

hmm now ive fitted a k&n filter to mine the other day and she seems to be running alot better? alot more grunt/want to go? running full akra syartem aswell, even my blokes rode her and said she seems shes pulling better?