SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-10-04, 10:51 AM   #1
E-Type Carrot

Default Top Box and Security Queries

Greetings all
I recently passed my DAS and bought an SV650SK4.
Although I'm not touring, I do need to carry some bits around (lunch etc) and I'm finding a rucksack restricts my movement on the bike. I saw a topbox on Suzuki's accessories web pages. It fits (using a plate) in place of the pillion seat. What isn't clear is whether it's a permanent fitting (i.e. bolted down) or if it simply clips on or off like the pillion seat - I still want to be able to take The Boy to soccer on a weekend. My local dealer hasn't sold one or even seen one, so can't tell me.
Also, in addition to an alarm, I've fitted a Motrax Groundhog 1 anchor in my garage and am using a Motrax Hexagon chain and lock. I'm confident these will stop the joyriders, but how long will they hold back a professional scumbag, err, thief? The garage is out of sight of the house...
Cheers, ride safe
Mark.
Old 19-10-04, 10:56 AM   #2
jonboy

Topboxes are wrong! They should be illegal and all crushed and used as landfill. Don't ruin your wonderful SV with a t****x.

(You can tell I don't like 'em right? )

Old 19-10-04, 11:00 AM   #3
fraser01

Get yourself a tankbag, you can carry your sarnies and take it with you when you get off the bike....
Old 19-10-04, 11:07 AM   #4
Mogs

I'm with Jonboy on this one, top boxes are the must unpleasant lump of kit and only invites someone to break into it.

I bought an Oxford sprint tankbag, it's got a magnetic base, and is just big enough to store my disc lock, sandwiches etc.
Old 19-10-04, 11:45 AM   #5
Iansv

Tankbag or tailpack....

Don't put a topbox on, you'll just get the **** taken every day
Old 19-10-04, 11:56 AM   #6
Tris

Hi Mr Carrot

I'm in the same position having just started this SV650 riding malarkey after passing my DAS.

I tried the rucksack and hated it, like riding with a bloody great sail on your back. Ace in a crosswind!

I now chuck the chain and lock under the seat and roll the rucksack up and secure it on the rear seat with one of those stretchy cargo nets.

Tank bag is on the shopping list though

If your still on the top box idea though check out SVrider.com, there is a couple of threads on there about them. Does make the bike look like a shed though

Tris
Old 19-10-04, 11:58 AM   #7
RenamedMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser01
Get yourself a tankbag, you can carry your sarnies and take it with you when you get off the bike....
I agree wtih Fraser, tank bags can be easily attached and deattached and come in various sizes and styles.

Check it out.

Topbox is never the answer.
Old 19-10-04, 12:52 PM   #8
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Topboxes are wrong! They should be illegal and all crushed and used as landfill. Don't ruin your wonderful SV with a t****x.

(You can tell I don't like 'em right? )

Oh, he protests so quickly and loudly

But on a seroius note, I've never liked the gimp mask thing, sorry Baglux, but having use one now for a few months, the're great, I can fit a full A4 laptop and files in and they come off and on easily.the cosmetic thing takes a bit of getting used to, but Hey, you can't beat the practicality.

Have a hunt around and you can pick them up for reasonable money second hand.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-04, 01:28 PM   #9
Cronos

I've got a funny feeling Ken McCulloch's response isn't far away..........
Old 19-10-04, 02:48 PM   #10
E-Type Carrot

Default Thanks All!

Wow, so many replies so quickly, just shows how popular this forum (and the SV) really is.
Thanks for the interest, I do agree the topbox looks rubbish, just thought it would be the most secure way of carrying things. I'm against the tankbag, it just seems too big, too much between me and the controls, but will try attaching the rucksack to the rear with a cargo net, and if it works for me, I'll try a tailbag.
Once again, thanks for the replies!
Mark.