SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-07-07, 08:10 AM   #1
dradonkey

Default Pointy into Curvy

Does anyone know if the engine from a K3 onwards either 650 or 1000 can be fitted into a K2 frame? If it can, could the carbs be fitted instead of the injector bodies to get it running without having to modify the electrics?
Old 13-07-07, 08:24 AM   #2
plowsie

Default Re: Pointy into Curvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradonkey View Post
Does anyone know if the engine from a K3 onwards either 650 or 1000 can be fitted into a K2 frame? If it can, could the carbs be fitted instead of the injector bodies to get it running without having to modify the electrics?
Wild first post lol, welcome to the madhouse and errr dunno lol
Old 13-07-07, 08:25 AM   #3
hovis

welcome

dont see why not, although you may need to modify the frame?
Old 13-07-07, 08:28 AM   #4
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

the 1000 wont fit without having to do a fair bit of work with it.
the 650 engine should fit not sure about the carbs fitting and you will probably have to do some electrical work to make it work maybe even mod a loom from a curvey?
Old 13-07-07, 08:29 AM   #5
rictus01
Mega Poster

the engine from the later 650 will fit in the mounts and carbs and airbox onto thoughs, although I wouldn't mess with the later wiring just use the curvy loom, very nearly did this myself, but as the only advantage would be the cams and an oil cooler why bother ? it's easy enough to do the cam change and fit either an aftermarket or the K3 onwards cooler.

seems a lot of work for very little gain.

Oh, and the sv1000 lump won't fit, well say won't not without frame mods/bracing.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-07, 08:44 AM   #6
dradonkey

Reason for this thinking is just have original engine sieze for the 2nd time in 2000 miles both times with no warning.
Searching breakers but only have K3 onwards engines.
Dont fancy paying again for another new crank!
Old 13-07-07, 12:54 PM   #7
fat_brstd

how about you buy my loverly condition curvy engine that i have for sale that will fit into k2 no problem that would save all the hassle of messing with a K3+ engine. 17.5K miles started first time every time even in snow when i had it. Going spare because i crashed the bike and it was a write off and has since been broken into parts. Engine is as good as your going to get from a 99 bike and has been tested and runs fine since the accident. No scrapes, scratches dents or otherwise inflicted in the crash as the forks went crunch and stopped moving before falling over.

I live in high wycombe in bucks and pick up is probably the best option as engines are pretty damn heavy. pm me or call me on 07811 734 594 for more info.
Old 13-07-07, 01:54 PM   #8
dradonkey

Bike gone back to garage that rebuilt engine last time hope they with do it under warrenty for free. Failling the a scourced motor is a deffinate. Not paying for another new crank etc. Cost nearly a grand last time and took 7 weeks in total.
Old 13-07-07, 02:06 PM   #9
chunkytfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradonkey View Post
Bike gone back to garage that rebuilt engine last time hope they with do it under warrenty for free. Failling the a scourced motor is a deffinate. Not paying for another new crank etc. Cost nearly a grand last time and took 7 weeks in total.

Dont know if they are the same but i have a K3 crank with pistons and conrods still attached.

Yours for no where near the grand you paid for the last one

edit- Forgot to mention. also have a set of K3 cams to give you a bit more poke