SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-11-16, 06:54 PM   #31
Fordward

Default Re: Involved in an accident- Advice needed please

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
the bike would have been positioning itself before the car entered the roundabout
This was the basis of my original question, the line as it was drawn below, doesn't look like the positioning was obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emankiwi View Post
Old 28-11-16, 07:33 AM   #32
Blapper

Although it isn't a large enough scale drawing to be totally precise, it still looks pretty clear to me. The car entered the roundabout and collided with the bike. 'Give way to traffic from the right' and the bike came from the car driver's right.

Insurance companies do try to make everything 50/50 these days though.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 07:42 AM   #33
Fordward

Those red and blue lines meet just beyond the exit, not where the car enters the roundabout. But when it comes to accidents between bikes and cars, bikers see only what they want to see.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 28-11-16, 10:59 AM   #34
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Tbf the fact you may have to lean a bike until the moment you change direction doesn't help with making it clear what direction you are going.

On a decent size roundabout you can be leaning to right, right up to the junction before flicking over to the left to exit. So if you are a bit too far right in the lane it can easily appear to someone else you are continuing round.

When I say leaning and flicking, I don't mean knee down Rossi style, just the fact you are off upright.

It's a lack of understanding as to how bikes manoeuvre, a lot of people don't understand counter steering and think because your bars and wheel aren't turning that you aren't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28-11-16, 11:19 AM   #35
Heorot

Fordward, you are right. I know that roundabout well and the road was resurfaced last year when the road the bike was approaching from was converted from a single lane to a dual carriageway. I know from experience that cars approaching that roundabout from Norwich on the A11 tend to treat it as a chicane, i.e. they slow down but with no intention of stopping unless forced to by crossing traffic.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver

Last edited by Heorot; 28-11-16 at 11:21 AM.
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 11:28 AM   #36
Heorot

Emankiwi. You need to add yourself to the location map here http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=214816

You are pretty local to me.

Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Old 28-11-16, 11:31 AM   #37
Fordward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
Fordward, you are right. I know that roundabout well and the road was resurfaced last year when the road the bike was approaching from was converted from a single lane to a dual carriageway. I know from experience that cars approaching that roundabout from Norwich on the A11 tend to treat it as a chicane, i.e. they slow down but with no intention of stopping unless forced to by crossing traffic.
So is it single lane round the roundabout or dual?

Old 28-11-16, 11:58 AM   #38
Heorot

Two fairly narrow lanes. Most vehicles treat it as a single lane when turning to take the Thetford road.

Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Old 28-11-16, 12:05 PM   #39
Fordward

Back to my diagram then, whether the accident happened when the car joined, or whether the car had already joined the inside lane safely and it happened when the bike exited, will ultimately determine fault. If the latter and the bikes indicator was on then the car driver is far from blameless though. It usually is the case that both screw up in some way and there's a series of unfortunate events that lead up to a collision.

Hopefully that answers the OP's original question.

Old 28-11-16, 03:10 PM   #40
Mega Poster

You were turning right, he hit you.

His fault, end of story.

TBH though, it all the damage is on that panel, I'd just ask the guy if he wanted to settle it by buying a new one. Why bother involving insurance? It just bums you both and everyone else - non-fault claims are just that, a claim. It makes the whole price for everyone go up collectively.

Otherwise, have at it. Regardless of whether you were indicating or not, he failed to give way to someone approaching from the right - your road position is of zero consequence.