SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-05-15, 07:59 AM   #151
millemille

Default Re: SV special build - S-pokey-V.

Been experimenting with a chin piece to tidy up the front of the silencers...

It's intended for a CB500, looks spot on on the left hand side with the cut out matching the exhaust pipework but the right hand side looks too long as it overlaps the silencer outlet. So it's been cut and shut on the right hand side to match the left side..

Exhaust pipework is finally complete...

..and has been heat wrapped around the rear shock and master cylinder to minimise radiated heat..

The back brake has been subject to some work - I'm using a Ducati 916 Brembo rear caliper and had mated it to the SV master cylinder, but there was a mismatch in operating ratios meaning the pedal had very little movement and you could see the fluid level in the reservoir tube going up and down in time with the pedal being pressed, meaning that the piston wasn't clearing the fluid transfer port and would have caused the brake to lock on when it got hot.

So I bought a 2nd hand 916 rear master cylinder. Unfortunately the mounting hole centres are 3.5mm different, so a new rear set part is required, here it is modelled up in solidworks before machining with the original one for comparison. A prize if you can actually see any difference....

The van was off the road for a few weeks which made getting the bike up to the workshop interesting...

millemille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-15, 08:25 AM   #152
millemille

I've also been making a rad guard to protect the ultra rare Pace radiator...

Been having loads of fun with trying to get hold of an offset shift arm - because the rear sets are kicked out quite a way, to clear the CBR swingarm and exhaust pipework, the shift rod was running at too much of an angle when using the standard shift arm (and the standard shift arm is a gopping piece of cheap pig iron) so I was looking for a nice machined ally offset shift arm to straighten up the shift rod - in this case actually a quickshifter rod.

Lightech make what they describe as a universal offset shift arm - I was scepctical that it was universal because I know that the pitch of the splines on the selector shaft is different for some manufacturers, but Lightech UK were adamant it would fit so I bought one.

Of course, it didn't fit as the spline pitch was completely different...

So that was returned and I did what I should have done in the first place and popped up to see the crew at Harris Performance.

They have offset shift arms in a multitude of designs. They machine them with a plain hole and then broach them with the appropriate pitch splines. Suzuki use a coarse pitch and every other manufacturer uses a fine pitch (the pitch the Lightech arm was) but unfortunately Harris's coarse pitch broach wasn't in good condition and mangled the arm they tried to broach for me.

The broaching tool are just a selector shaft that has been machined to taper slightly and relieved after the splined section to pass through the hole. So I bought a plain arm at a knock down price and decided to braoch it myself.

After a quick appeal on here Steve/squirrel_hunter very kindly sent me a spare selector shaft he had. 5 minutes work on the lathe to machine the shaft and a quick press saw the Harris arm broached.

And now all fitted with the qucikshifter rod running at a better angle...

Been sorting out the coolant hose clamps using these bad boys. Oetiker constant tension stepless clamps - as used by F1, WSB and MotoGP teams...

Made a decision about instruments/dash for the bike. I had been erring towards something like this...

...using an SPA tach with combined speedo and a set of idiot lights and switches around the edge. I designed a mounting...

..and was on the verge of pulling the trigger for it to be machined but had a last minute change of heart and have instead bought one of these..

Old 26-05-15, 08:46 AM   #153
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Wow, nice work as always, this whole build is fascinating and I am most interested in seeing how it all turns out. I do love spoked wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-15, 08:48 AM   #154
millemille

Started on the electrics. Stripped down the orignial loom and identified and labelled all the wires and worked out what needs modifying to suit the new routing/layout.

Bought a couple of complete gasket sets, using the Suzuki ACU discount scheme, in preparation for engine build/refresh.

Initially it's going to be fairly mild tune - injected cams, thinner head gasket, +4 degree ignition advancer, lightened flywheel, K&N air filter and a dyno set up. Until I'm sure the single disk front brake is up to the job I'm not going to do any more, but if the brakes are up to it (I had a Celica GT4 that had a significant imbalance in engine vs. braking power and it was not pleasant to drive rapidly) then I'm going to gas flow the heads, lighten and balance the crank and 700cc big bore with carillo rods.

Also had a go at "loudifying" (as it was described on an American Ducati forum) the Panigale silencers. The idea being to improve gas flow and make the silencer lighter.

Hmmm, a job I regret starting....

Initially a sensible cut out to expose the innards got progressively bigger...

I've put these to one side for the time being as it's going to require some thinking about. Another pair of standard silencers has been bought on ebay. Speaking to a Panigale owning friend he tells me that the Panigale struggles on the OEM silencers to pass noisy track day testing, indicating that they've got fairly good gas flow as standard and if they can flow enough to allow a 1200cc twin make nearly 195bhp then maybe they won't hold back my 650cc (or 700cc) twin as much as I feared....

A bit ****ed off that the rubber straps I bought from ebay have lasted less than 6 months before the rubber has gone manky due to UV exposure...

...but I've found this company who make them in neoprene which is UV resistant.

http://www.butserrubber.com/products/straps/square/

Through ingeneous use of a huge tub of filler, a hot glue gun, offcuts of ally angle and perspex, ******* files and the worlds own collection of oxide and weat and dry paper I've managed to coat the neighbourhood in a half inch layer of white dust.

Actually, I'm modifying the top fairing to make it look more bespoke and finished and less like a BMW fairing - side vents and belly pan fastener holes filled and a return put around the bottom edge where the belly pan would have fitted.

Still work in progress, but once finished I'll get a mould made from it, so that I can replicate the fairing again if needed, and a lightweight twill weave fairing made...

Old 26-05-15, 10:21 AM   #155
Redmist

Cor blimey you've been busy.
I'm glad you've done that to the fairings, the gills looked a bit strange to me.

I got the Koso DB-01r+ clocks and weren't too bad to make work. However the fuel gauge (Which should work on a pointy SV given that on the wiring diagram the tank has a variable resistance sensor) is going to need a signal "fixer" of some kind. I'm going to try using an Arduino chip to see if that can do the trick.

Good luck with the rest of it, really interesting thread!

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-15, 01:02 PM   #156
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Amazing!!

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-15, 11:12 PM   #157
Flybuster

Wow. !

A lot of work but it looks great.
Flybuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-15, 05:32 PM   #158
rube207

Incredible work thus far. Can't wait to see what comes next.
rube207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-15, 08:42 PM   #159
JKRacing

Looks brilliant mate. If you don't mind me asking how did you get the spindle from the lower yoke to fit the ducati yoke. Is it a case of some mild hammering lol.
Old 13-07-15, 08:57 PM   #160
millemille

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRacing View Post
Looks brilliant mate. If you don't mind me asking how did you get the spindle from the lower yoke to fit the ducati yoke. Is it a case of some mild hammering lol.
It's the Ducati steerer stem, not the SV. There was a taper roller bearing off the shelf that fitted the lower bearing cup in the frame. The top bearing cup had to be machined out to accept a suitable taper roller bearing to suit.

Last edited by millemille; 13-07-15 at 09:48 PM.