SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-07-16, 09:06 AM   #1
tom_e

Default Fast idle issue

I've noticed recently on my SK5 that when I start it up the idle will jump up to around 2k rpm which is normal for my fast idle then drop for a few seconds to around 1.3-1.4 then go back up to 2k until it's warm and then it'll settle at the correct idle speed that I've set.

Also I noticed if I try and rev it during this time it's very slow to react and even an almost full twist of the throttle won't get it higher than around 4k again a few seconds later and it's fine and will rev freely with the throttle.

Does this sound like anything major or worth worrying about?

The only things I can think that may affect this that I've changed are fitting a K&N filter and removing the snorkel, although I don't remember these issues when those items were first done.
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-16, 12:15 PM   #2
russell664

Default Re: Fast idle issue

I had this on my Curvy, I think it is related to the cables being too tight, and not freely moving.

Start it, and move the steering lock to lock, does the RPM change then?
russell664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-16, 12:53 PM   #3
tom_e

I'll give it a go when I finish work but I can't see it being the throttle cables as like I say if I leave it a couple of seconds without touching anything it'll settle into the correct fast idle RPM and rev freely when I twist the throttle.
Old 15-07-16, 01:00 PM   #4
Corny Gizmo

I doubt it'll be that too mainly because the pointy has electronic injection with fast idle etc, the Curvy didn't.
Also the pointy has a return throttle cable too, I don't think the curvy had one.

Sounds like a problem on the butterflies to me, they have been known to get dirty and difficult to move, might be worth a quick clean up?
Old 15-07-16, 01:04 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

sticky tickover lobe or electrical. make sure that the battery terminals are clean and tight.

when were the spark plugs last changed?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-16, 01:05 PM   #6
tom_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corny Gizmo View Post
I doubt it'll be that too mainly because the pointy has electronic injection with fast idle etc, the Curvy didn't.
Also the pointy has a return throttle cable too, I don't think the curvy had one.

Sounds like a problem on the butterflies to me, they have been known to get dirty and difficult to move, might be worth a quick clean up?
This would tie in with it generally feeling a little slower off the mark and not quite as perky as it has been wouldn't it?

If so it looks like I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Plugs were last changed in december so around 5-6k ago for some Iridium ones.
Old 15-07-16, 01:08 PM   #7
Corny Gizmo

Possibly yes, I maybe wrong but thats what id check first. I doubt the little motors that move the butterflies have much power behind them so any buildup and gunk etc will become apparent quick.

I think the STV is actuated by motors based on your throttle position so if these are moving slowly then yes it wont be as perky.

Again this is just stuff I remember reading on here. Good luck
Old 15-07-16, 04:18 PM   #8
Craig380
Mega Poster

This thread is worth a look - a while back I did all the pivot points and linkages in the main and STV throttle linkages & pivots with a drop or two of light oil for electric motors (safe on plastics) and the throttle action is a lot smoother as a result.

https://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=220760
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-16, 05:45 PM   #9
tom_e

Cheers Craig that was beginning to be my thinking after some searching so I'll give it all a go tomorrow if it's dry. Already gave it a general squirting with gt85 without lifting the tank when I got home so we'll see how it fires up tomorrow.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk
Old 16-07-16, 11:28 AM   #10
tom_e

Took the air box off this morning first things first I obviously got a little over excited oiling my air filter before I fitted it as there was a little puddle of filter oil in one corner so cleaned that out then gave all the throttle body pivots a good soak in gt85 then a final squirt of acf50 all round. Fast idle seemed smoother after that but it may be because I'd started it up once or twice before I finished so it may just have freed everything up. Fingers crossed when I start it up tomorrow after it's sat overnight it'll still be good or else it's time to look elsewhere.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk