SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-10-06, 09:15 AM   #1
Bullwinkle

Default Protective plastic sheets on forks

Ok - front forks looking horrid through all year round riding and am about to give them a clean up and then looking to put some protective plastic sheeting to stop any further flaking....

Has anyone done this already? best type of sheeting to use? any hints or tips for application?
Old 12-10-06, 09:24 AM   #2
svrash

I covered mine in that carbon fibre sheet stuff that you cut to shape and stick on, worked well, looked a bit tatty after 2 years or so but stayed stuck on...and it was a bitch to get off when I stripped them for painting
Old 12-10-06, 09:35 AM   #3
Bullwinkle

can you get that stuff from local cycle shops?
Old 12-10-06, 09:39 AM   #4
andy

I used some clear all weather tape (bought from Woolworths I think).

Works well, almost invisible, still staying stuck after 1 year, I dont think it will be that easy to get off when needed though!
Old 12-10-06, 09:46 AM   #5
hovis

i have got carbon fibre fork leg protectors on by beta rev3, but dont think u can get em 4 the SV
Old 13-10-06, 07:53 PM   #6
drumroll

Default protective plastic sheets

i have used some sticky back clear plastic - you get get it from staples or any other stationary store. its handy as you can cut it to exact shapes. when you come to remove it , it comes off easily - a little wd40 clears all the adhesive off the forks.

works really well on my K6. Have it on my heel guards too - and not a scuff on them!!
Old 13-10-06, 08:54 PM   #7
valleyboy

Fablon I think is the stuff you get from stationery stores ?
Old 13-10-06, 09:04 PM   #8
kwak zzr

its a good idea, ive noticed stone chipping on mine, its err not the best paint in the world is it
Old 13-10-06, 09:18 PM   #9
drumroll

err no - the paint on the forks is possibly on the thin side

no idea what this stuff from the stationary shop is called - does a terrific job though
Old 13-10-06, 09:31 PM   #10
kwak zzr

its the stuff your ment to cover books with init