SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-03-05, 05:44 PM   #1
Warren

Default wax on , wax off - please advise.

since the good weather is finally coming, i think i need to restore my bike to what it looked like before the salt and bad weather attacked it, so im planning on spending monday on taking most of it apart to clean the hard to get places,

but what i want to know is . . . how should i polish it ?
i mean, to get it back to looking like its just out of a show room ?

ive heard people talk about using household polish for the plastics ? whats the best one ?

how do i go about waxing it ? ive never done it before ?

and how can i treat rust forming on parts of it ? eg - bolts, sidestand ect ect ?
i intend it paint the rusty bits over, but whats the best way of going about it ?

i want it looknig super clean again
Old 15-03-05, 05:50 PM   #2
Anonymous

The Harley rider's secret as well as Jonboy's is Lemon Pledge, I believe. Term who's SV was always immaculate used to swear by Autoglym's Showroom Shine polish and I starting using that as well, but I'm certain its just expensive furniture polish. Works well tho, spray all over and polish off.
Old 15-03-05, 06:00 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

I like Mer... For shine alone furniture polish is great, but Mer and similiar polishes give you a bit of a layer which can help prevent scratches. A hard wax would be even better, but too much like hard work for me.

Also, never ride it again You may want to put it in a sealed room. During the summer mine is always tidy, but never gleaming- I can't see the point, 5 minutes down the road it's already scabbing up again. So instead I keep it fairly nice all the time, instead of trying to keep it perfect.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-05, 06:32 PM   #4
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

The lazy cleaning way is to use the Mr Sheen cloths. I know people who keep a packet under the pillion seat and when they pull up somewhere they give it a quick wipe over.

I use Mer as its good stuff that you can use on a wet or dry bike and even in the direct sun when its wet, which is pretty much when we all feel up to it isnt it??

Autoglym products are fantastic but expensive.

I'm also waiting to see who has the best idea of how to tackle the rust on the sidestand, but i know enough to know a good wire brush...followed by somethigng like "rusteater", then a coat of paint.
I know that cos my first car was a total rust bucket and i learnt the art of rust cure on that.

I'm just hoping modern technology has devised a less stressful way by now cos the above is what i did 10+ yrs ago

Oh and never use washing up liquid to wash it, a cheap car shampoo will do the trick.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-05, 06:44 PM   #5
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

I've always used furniture polish on mine. Spanking shine, no apparent thinning of paint. Also brings up the black plastic moudings. Lovely.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-05, 06:58 PM   #6
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesimons
Anyone else used furniture polish long term?
Yup, it's very good and hasn't in any way interfered with the paint laquer. However, as mentioned above, it's something needs to be applied very regularly and without a doubt doesn't have the longterm protection that a proper wax offers, so if you only want to do it once or twice a year then wax is the best answer.

The best wax in the world is Swissol:

http://www.swissol.com/E/GB/Produkte_Lack3.htm

and if you fancy treating me to a pot of the "Mystery" polish I'd be most obliged .

(at only £290 for 200ml I think it's most reasonable)

Old 15-03-05, 07:14 PM   #7
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesimons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs
I've always used furniture polish on mine.
Are we talking your scoot, your tazer or your trouser tazer?

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-05, 07:43 PM   #8
Warren

Quote:
(at only £290 for 200ml I think it's most reasonable)
bit of a typo there jonboy ?

290 quid for wax
Old 15-03-05, 07:44 PM   #9
Warren

Quote:
Mystery concours glaze, ca. 200 ml WGB10150 GB£ 0290.00

holy sh*t , thats no typo.
Old 15-03-05, 08:10 PM   #10
jonboy

That my friend is why I'd be most obliged . I explained to the wife that it's important and then she explained a few things to me, like "Just you ever ever ever spend that on a tin of polish and I'll..." do I have to go on? .