SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-03-08, 08:58 PM   #1
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default Front caliper bolts.

My front brake calipers are in a bit of a cosmetic state. The torx bolts that seem to hold it all together have not suffered the past few winters too well. Is it wise to undo these. Was planning to initially try some elbow grease on them or once that proved too difficult, get some replacement bolts. Question is do they come out and if I take each one out, clean or replace then put it back do I end up with bits of brake caliper all over my drive?

If it all gets too hard may have to go for the more cowboy approach of just painting over the rust with black paint until I find some new calipers at the right price.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 09:31 PM   #2
Tiger 55

Default Re: Front caliper bolts.

I'm just after doing that exact job on Project Triumph and it went a whole lot better than I expected. First up give it plenty Plus Gas or similar and leave that to work its miracle, then attack the bolts with a Tx Star socket bit on the end of a good size breaker bar, but gently now and let the leverage do the work. Out one at a time, coppaslip and back in at the correct torque. Easy.

But if I were you I'd wait for Northy, Yorkie Chris, Spannerman, Rictus...
Old 12-03-08, 09:39 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger 55 View Post
But if I were you I'd wait for Northy, Yorkie Chris, Spannerman, Rictus...
You rang?

Them bolts do hold the caliper together can be a bit of a git if they're siezed in. Be careful when you take them out as if you shear them then it can take quite a bit of work.
If they're anything like SRAD calipers then you'll be able to get to the back of the bolts and fill the recesses (with the caliper flat on the floor/bench) with penetrant oil.

I don't see a reason why you shouldn't remove then replace and retighten them all in turn. BUT if you see any fluid loss, then bleed the lot just to be on the safe side.

Copper slipping them is IMO alright, but wurth brake grease or other alloy based stuff could be better.

Bear in mind that with copper slip or any liquid involved the torque settings are meaningless, reduce them by 10% for this.
Old 13-03-08, 01:11 PM   #4
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
do I end up with bits of brake caliper all over my drive?
Take one out clean it up and put it back in, take another out clean it up and put it back in, and so on....
Old 13-03-08, 02:00 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Aye, I did the exact same thing with my old calipers- same as yours- just did it one at a time. I used stainless ones which obviously is not generally recommended but I'm notoriously slipshod and reckless so it didn't bother me too much, and I didn't die
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote