SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 27-09-07, 07:33 PM   #1
KnightRider
Mega Poster

Default Which IAM group?

Am thinking of doing some form of advanced riding. I am pretty keen to do the IAM but after seeing a group of the Thames Valley IAM group at Foxes Dinner I am not so sure as they all looked old, bearded etc which put me off a bit.

Do any of you have experience with the TV IAM group?

I am also considering the LAM (London Advanced Motorcyclist) group as Maidenhead isnt so far from London. If you have experience with the London group or know how far away their rides are etc then I would also be interested in your views and comment?

Finally, if your interested in doing the course with me then let me know.

CBR600RR7

Link to map of TV members...if your not on the map then PM me. My facebook profile
KnightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-07, 07:46 PM   #2
StreetHawk

Default Re: Which IAM group?

I'm interested.. TVAM meet at a school in Reading once a month.. I'll find out when the next one is and we can go along an see what they are all about.

Just looked. The next meet is sunday 21st Oct at St Crispins school in Wokingham if you want to go along?

Last edited by StreetHawk; 27-09-07 at 07:49 PM.
Old 27-09-07, 07:53 PM   #3
SDMF

By TV IAM, I take it you mean the Thames Vale advaned motorcyclists here?
I keep looking at joining, esp for the advanced training and the additional rides that they do. They say there made up of riders of all ages and abilities, I should really pop down and see for myself.
They do hold open days throughout the year as well, along with there monthly meets. So if you want to wait untill the next one to see what it's like I should be up for going along too.
Old 27-09-07, 09:16 PM   #4
injury_ian

Im with the WVAM 2 ride outs and all is well, probably a little out of your way tho...
Old 27-09-07, 09:21 PM   #5
KnightRider
Mega Poster

I have contacted the TV IAM to find out when the next meet is. I think that it is on October 21st (third Sunday of the month). Once this is confirmed I will let everyone know and maybe we could all go together?

Anyone else keen.

CBR600RR7

Link to map of TV members...if your not on the map then PM me. My facebook profile
Old 27-09-07, 09:42 PM   #6
stevehaskew

I'm keen with the IAM thing, but I'm busy on the 21st! Sucks!
Old 28-09-07, 10:08 AM   #7
KnightRider
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
By TV IAM, I take it you mean the Thames Vale advaned motorcyclists here?
I keep looking at joining, esp for the advanced training and the additional rides that they do. They say there made up of riders of all ages and abilities, I should really pop down and see for myself.
They do hold open days throughout the year as well, along with there monthly meets. So if you want to wait untill the next one to see what it's like I should be up for going along too.
Personally I think being a member of IAM would be good for a number of reasons:

1. Going on observed rides will definately help my riding and observation skills
2. They have lots of skills training days off the road where you can practice emergancy stops, low speed manouvers etc etc etc.
3. It reduces insurance cost
4. I have heard that you are 7 times less likely to have an accident if you are an IAM member than otherwise (obviously those who do IAM are less likely to have an accident anyway cause they are more cautious riders, but that stat is still very impressive)

CBR600RR7

Old 28-09-07, 10:34 AM   #8
philbut

I've been meaning to investigate this for a bit, but now someone else has then great. I'd be up for it. I can make the 21st too I think. Keep us posted Jon. Nice one for gettin this started.
Old 28-09-07, 06:12 PM   #9
Mark_h
Mega Poster

All,

I am a member of TVAM IAM and can not recommend it high enough.

The group rides do tend to attract the more sedate, beardy, GS1200/Pan riders and chances are this is what you bumped into at Foxes.

Granted there are a few beard sporting Pan riders, but in the main is a bunch of 20-40 year olds on blades, GSXRs and R1s hooning arond the Chilterns at an alarming speed. Although I can guarantee if you do end up with a beardy Pan rider he'll probably leave you for dead on anything vaguely technical no matter how many track days you've done

I joined a couple of months after getting my SV after pottering around on a 125 for 6 months previously. Gave me loads of confidence and more importantly made me far safer.

It costs very little and to be honest you'll make up any costs in saved fuel and tyres if you learn to ride smoother. The actual "training" is free. You play to join the club and your subscriptions to IAM, but trainers (observers) do not get paid and it'll cost you the proce of a cup of tea or bacon butty depending on where you end up.

Taster session (3rd Sunday at St Crispins) is free. You get taken out for an assesment ride adn offered the opportunbity to join unless you are a total hoolgan in which case you will be invited to consider your life exxpectancy and still invited to join if they feel you would actually listen to any advice.

If anyone is interested I'll happily go on for hours about what it's all about and will probably be there on 21st anyway.

Don't know if your TV group have a regualr social night like the Guildford massive (not so massive these days though) if you want I could come along and answer any questions as long as it's not miles away.

Cheers,
Mark
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-07, 07:58 PM   #10
KnightRider
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
Don't know if your TV group have a regualr social night like the Guildford massive (not so massive these days though) if you want I could come along and answer any questions as long as it's not miles away.

Cheers,
Mark
Thanks for that. I think that I am now convinced to give it a go on the 21st. We meet regularly on a Tuesday night. If your interested in meeting us all then we will be at the Shire Horse on the 2nd and I am sure that everyone would love to meet you and ask any questions that they have about the IAM.

CBR600RR7