SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-05-07, 08:41 PM   #1
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default Fuel warning light

##UPDATE##
Well as I got no real useful responses I just swapped the wires over to see what happened.

Basically it just disables the flashing phase. So I guess there's some fancy logic in there somewhere.

Rode to where I usually get it flashing (about 133) nothing. Carried on a bit more, got to 150 and it came on hard. Now either It did work and somehow I got another 20 miles out of a tank or it just kicked in where it would usually come on hard.

Will be swapping wires back over again and looking for a lower wattage warning bulb instead (or dark nail varnish over existing bulb). If you want to do it yourself, there's a handy 3 pin plug coming off the sender, just swap over the two outers. You end up with a light that comes on to tell you you are just about to run out.

#####End of update.#######

No, not another "how many miles do you get before it flashes" post (133 on average by the way) but more of an "is it possible to reverse the flash/hard lighting of the warning lamp" kind of post.

On my 2001 Naked, the fuel light flashes when getting low then comes on hard when very low. I find the flashing light too distracting especially at night and would prefer to have it come on hard when low (lot easier to ignore a solid light) then flash when very low.

I hope that swapping over the low and very low sensor wires on the fuel level sensor will do the trick, but I've lost my haynes manual so do not have a wiring diagram to see if it'll do the job.

Don't want to just give it a go in case it fries whatever box of tricks does the flashing.

I remember a post of this nature quite a long time ago, but I can't find it and seem to remember it degenerating into a childish argument. To save it all kicking off again.

1. Yes I know it's supposed to be annoying to prompt you to get some fuel, but I keep thinking I've left my indicators on and something flashing away is too distracting.

2. Yes, I could stick a bit of tape over it but that's a bit naff

3. I appreciate it's supposed to work that way and no I'm not complaining that the bike behaves as it should, just I'd like it to do something slightly different.

Anyone done it or got a wiring diagram that clearly shows it'll not end up with a fried somethng or other.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.

Last edited by Mark_h; 24-05-07 at 09:14 PM.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-07, 11:46 PM   #2
Torn-Thorax

Default Re: Fuel warning light

You could just sever the sensor cable at the tank. Just watch the mileage.
Old 14-05-07, 07:33 AM   #3
riktherider

Not sure about swapping the wires, because in the clocks there is a bit of electronics which determines when it flashes and then goes to hard. i schagned the clocks on my sv, and kinda need a feul warning light, but the thing is i cant get the bloody thing to work, as the wiring goes into the back of the standard clocks, then goes to the indication light. see if ou can get hold of a diagram of the lectrics of the clocks fromt he main dealer. that would help more. the haynes manuals are a bit crude
Old 14-05-07, 12:44 PM   #4
andy

I remember the previous post as well, but no idea if there was ever an answer.

I have stuck a bit of black tape over mine, cannot see it so it dont look naff, and everytime I fill my tank I reset the trip meter and make sure I refill it before I hit 150 miles!
Old 14-05-07, 07:11 PM   #5
skumlerud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h View Post
I hope that swapping over the low and very low sensor wires on the fuel level sensor will do the trick, but I've lost my haynes manual so do not have a wiring diagram to see if it'll do the job.
Swapping the sensor wires should work, as the two sensor are identical. Give it a try, you won't fry anything
Old 15-05-07, 07:14 PM   #6
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Has anyone got access to the circuit diagram of the inside of the instrument cluster?

Found a diagram, but it just shows a box which I assume to be the wizardry that drives the displays.

Ideally need to find out if the two wires are cumulative (ie, need both to get to stage 2) or independant.

Suppose I could just swap them and go for a long ride to see if/when lights go on/off or smoke begins issuing from behind the dash.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 15-05-07, 08:20 PM   #7
skumlerud

Quote:
Has anyone got access to the circuit diagram of the inside of the instrument cluster?
Doubtful...

Quote:
Ideally need to find out if the two wires are cumulative (ie, need both to get to stage 2) or independant.

Suppose I could just swap them and go for a long ride to see if/when lights go on/off or smoke begins issuing from behind the dash.
Try grounding the sensor lines directly, that's what I did when I checked if the instrument cluster on my SVS was working correctly. I got the fuel light to both flash and light constantly that way.
Old 15-05-07, 08:25 PM   #8
muzikill
Mega Poster

Or cover it with some slightly 'see through' tape so you can still see it but it ain't so blinding.
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-07, 09:14 PM   #9
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Well as I got no real useful responses I just swapped the wires over to see what happened.

Basically it just disables the flashing phase. So I guess there's some fancy logic in there somewhere.

Rode to where I usually get it flashing (about 133) nothing. Carried on a bit more, got to 150 and it came on hard. Now either It did work and somehow I got another 20 miles out of a tank or it just kicked in where it would usually come on hard.

Will be swapping wires back over again and looking for a lower wattage warning bulb instead (or dark nail varnish over existing bulb). If you want to do it yourself, there's a handy 3 pin plug coming off the sender, just swap over the two outers. You end up with a light that comes on to tell you you are just about to run out.