SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Mini-Twins Goto Minitwins Official Site

Old 17-11-13, 09:42 AM   #1
Stuart42

Default New Supertwin Racer

Hi all

I know this is in the minitwin section, but was closest I could find to Supertwin.

Some of you may remember that I put out a request for a suitable bike to build into a supertwin, or a prepared race bike a while back? Well after several offers, thanks guys, I found an ex race bike for sale just outside Dublin.

A bit of a trek from Hampshire but as I mainly race in Ireland, and my girlfriend lives there, wasn't too much of a problem.

As I say I race on the roads in Ireland and Isle Of Man, where I see a few guys on here race at the Manx? I did the Manx for 3 years until an off at Black Dub, so now limit my racing to Southern 100 circuit for now, although I would love to do The Manx again , so never say never.

Anyway, the bike I bought is a 2006 model which was raced by Noel Murphy, Smurf Racing, so is pretty up together but that won't stop me fiddling over the Winter I'm sure.

Anyone else here race in Ireland?

For those of you who are interested I started a blog at the beginning of the year and is at www.blackdub.co.uk

I'll post on there as to how the 'fiddling' goes and no doubt will be asking loads of questions here.

So until then

Cheers
Stuart
Stuart42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-13, 12:34 PM   #2
Redmist

Default Re: New Supertwin Racer

Hi Stuart,

Sounds like a great project and please keep us posted, sorry that your scarborough experience was not great, I can only imagine how hard it must be to be jumping in with the big boys round there!!

Anyway good luck with it all!

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-13, 01:25 PM   #3
Stuart42

Hi Redmist

Is a shame as if they'd done some new comers laps then am sure it would've been fine, still is same for everyone.

Cheers
Stuart
Old 18-11-13, 11:58 AM   #4
rvracing

hi m8, sounds a great project, yes a few of us have done the manx( and will do again) my bike in the picture didnt have red number plates for nothing, classic tt formula 1 next for us in 2015 all being well, cbr600,
Old 19-11-13, 07:59 PM   #5
MONO

Well done stuart on your purchase. I saw it for sale is was good spec, if i had seen it earlier i would of been interested . I looked for a few months to get a good bike then decided to build one from scratch ££.
I will be doing the newcomers manx next year so ,plenty of time to sort it .
I will keep an eye out for any posts you make maybe pick up a few tips/help.
cheers Paul
MONO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-13, 08:06 AM   #6
Stuart42

Hi Paul

Good luck with the Manx, its fantastic and I really miss it.If I can be of any help give me a shout.

Are you based in Ireland?

Cheers
Stuart
Old 20-11-13, 09:13 PM   #7
MONO

Based near Manchester Stuart. I checked your blog out, i see you know Colin he has my engine at the moment. He is quite infectious every time i speak to him my bill goes up.
Reality of how much the manx will cost is just kicking in,regards bike build 2 weeks off work ,all the other bits entry/ferry still plenty of time though....
Old 21-11-13, 08:07 AM   #8
Stuart42

Sadly that seems to happen with any race tuner.

Last year I was asked at Southern 100 how much it cost to do it. Luckily my mate answered for me, 'best you don't ask as he probably hasn't thought too hard about it'. Was the best answer I think.

It does stack up but the feeling I got the first time I sat on the start line and thought of all the greats that had sat there before me made it worth every penny.

Cheers
Stuart
Old 29-11-13, 08:38 AM   #9
Stuart42

Well last weekend I was in Northern Ireland and so whilst there had a closer look at my new supertwin.

It was with much trepidation that I lifted the cover on my new toy as feared I'd had a case of 'the rose tinted glasses' when I bought her, but my fears were in vain, she's pretty tidy.

There are enough little things to fiddle with, so that will keep me happy as like to tinker when I can.

First job was to start her, but sadly the battery had gone flat. Luckily my box of tools that I posted, you can't take tools on Easyjet, even in the hold, included a battery charger, so first job was to get to the battery and stick it on charge.

With that on charge I had time to look around and see what was what.

Noel admitted he was no mechanic, but still she was not too bad. The main thing being is she needs a good clean, and the best way to do that is with the fairing off.

Talking of the fairing, does anyone know what bike it's off? If you do know what it came off I'd appreciate it if you could let me know please?

With the fairing off I could see everything was where it should be and that there are just a few bits which I want to tidy up. The wiring loom is complete so will take out any spare wires, that way if you have a problem you don't have to fight your way through lots of wires that don't do anything to get to the ones that you need. I also like good bolts with not too many different types, just so it's easier to take things apart in a rush if needs be, you don't want to have to use 6 different spanners to take something apart if you have matching bolts which means you only need 3 to do the job.

I bought a few bits over with me so that I can make new spacers, footpegs etc ready to take back with me when I go over next.

I was going to bring the wiring loom back but thought better of trying to explain it at airport security, I had enough problems bringing back what I did, fingers crossed I don't get any problems on my return.

Between now and the next time I go over I've got some spacers, crash bungs and footpegs to make. I'm also waiting for various bolts to arrive, so still plenty to do.

I have tried to post some pictures but sadly I can't do that from work, so have a look at www.blackdub.co.uk where you'll see them in all their glory

Until the next time

Cheers
Stuart
Old 29-11-13, 09:21 PM   #10
MONO

Glad you have the bike Stuart, it,s not the bike i thought, thats still for sale in Dublin.. Fairing looks like an SV standard race job, just my guess ? Looks like a bit of a leak from the oil cooler a 20p washer should sort that and a good gunking down..Keep us posted