SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-11-05, 07:30 PM   #1
fatmanracing

Default Valve clearances and gsxr600 shock settings

Hello everyone, i've just serviced my friends sv650s K3, all the valve clearance were very tight with some of the inlets being exactly 0.10 mm and the exhausts 0.20. The bike has done 8000 miles and has never been serviced until now. Will it be ok to leave the clearances like they are, i know there tight but there still in spec so would it be ok to check it again in another few thousand miles? Also how hard is it to remove the cams and change the shims? i've always been spoiled by gear driven cams so no messing about!

Secondly i've fitted a gsxr600 k3 rear shock to it, can anyone give me the standard setting for rebound and compression and any tips for the sv

Cheers guys and gals
Old 17-11-05, 08:29 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

At the figures you mention, all is in tolerance so need to fuss, if it was my own personal bike I'd set everything right in the middle of the allowable range, that way it's odds on the longest time 'til you need to do it again.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-05, 09:44 PM   #3
BillyC
Mega Poster

How long's a piece of string?

As for the valve clearances... you've got another 5000 miles or so until they're first due, and usually don't need doing then. So at 8000 it's very premature.