SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 16-10-06, 01:08 AM   #1
stuartyboy

Default The dark side

I've moved accross to the dark side.
I'm now the proud owner of 95 model cbr600f double bubble, seriously loud micron can...and I must confess I really really like it.

Dilemma is I've been riding the cbr for the past two weeks but prior to this I developed pretty severe tendonitis in my right wrist. On the SV I had to use anti inflammatories before riding. On the cbr I have no pain or discomfort at all and no pills!

Really ****es me off this cos I LOVE my SV but I don't want to suffer the tendonitis. My physio reckons its the vibration from the twin thats causing the prob

I certainly dont want to get rid of a brand new bike. Anyone got any advice. No jokes please.

CBR pics to follow
Old 16-10-06, 07:07 AM   #2
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Have you tried to adjust the clutch and brake levers? Maybe they aren't in the best position for you.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-06, 11:08 AM   #3
stuartyboy

Yeah...done all that.

Had a test with the physio and she's 99.9% certain its to do with the vibration coming through the bars. Not sure what I can do to dial that out
Old 16-10-06, 11:24 AM   #4
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Is it an S or a naked?

I have heard people say to fill the bars with sand or silicon sealant to deaden the vibes. Could try heavier bar end weights???? Dunno.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-06, 02:43 PM   #5
jim@55

stuartyboy,-iv done the same (2000 fy cbr6)see you on the next SV rideout eh
Old 16-10-06, 04:26 PM   #6
colinbal4

An SV really shouldn't be giving you sore wrists. Its more wristy than something without clip on bars, but they are still a pretty comfortable bike, loads of London couriers use them.

On a wristy bike your wrists and arms are an extension of your front forks. Last time I saw you your front fork preloads were pretty extreme, but I can't remeber if they were really soft or really hard. Stick them back to the factory setting plus a couple of turns firmer to take away a bit of wallow and see how you get on. Too hard will give continual shock up the forks, too soft will increase the body weight resting on your wrists.

Also practice loosening your grip. One good way is to close the throttle when slowing down by letting it slide thru your fingers and letting the left bar move about inside a loosely clenched fist.
Old 16-10-06, 07:15 PM   #7
stuartyboy

its an s.

colin - been through all the settings. doesn't matter what its set at its always VERY painful after about an hour. My grip's relaxed and my gear changing's sweet as a nut now. It's not my wrist exactly - it's the tendon in line with my thumb that is snapping over the bone in my wrist. Bear in mind the cbr has clipons and much harder suspension.

i favour the bar ends idea. From my physics background that makes perfect sense to me. I'll give this a try.

Plain and simple fact is I can ride all day on the cbr and not feel a single ache of any kind whereas the sv I struggle after an hour.

Jim - chamone my man. Braw bikes indeed and yes I'll be there
Old 16-10-06, 09:41 PM   #8
jimmy4237

Them Honda's are getting popular here.... but they are seriously comfy bikes for tooling around and long distance touring. Was going to go for one myself but I couldn't refuse the ZX9 which was going for a pittance.

Managed to get a time of 11.04 seconds and 128.5mph over the quarter mile at Crail last Sunday too with the Kwak. Not too bad for a cheap bike considering what the cage owners spent on tuning their cars up to get up to 105mph... Just couldn't keep the front end on the deck in 1st and 2nd gear :P A boy on an '04 Bandit 1200 who blew his fork seals pulling 1 - 2 - 3 gear massive wheelies up and down the strip, still doing average 118mph runs

Why not start a multi-bike policy, use the CBR for everyday usage (ie - rack up the mileage), and keep the SV good and low mileage Stuarty?? That way you've the best of both worlds.
Old 17-10-06, 09:13 AM   #9
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartyboy
i favour the bar ends idea. From my physics background that makes perfect sense to me. I'll give this a try.
Let us know how you get on with that mate. I get the old vibration white finger after an hour or so, resulting in no feeling in my right hand. And then when I need to use the brake in a hurry I get the occasional brown trouser moment...

But hey, it's a V twin!
Old 17-10-06, 12:04 PM   #10
stuartyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy4237
Them Honda's are getting popular here.... but they are seriously comfy bikes for tooling around and long distance touring. Was going to go for one myself but I couldn't refuse the ZX9 which was going for a pittance.

Why not start a multi-bike policy, use the CBR for everyday usage (ie - rack up the mileage), and keep the SV good and low mileage Stuarty?? That way you've the best of both worlds.
You're right there Jimmy. Comfy as feck!

Already insured the honda. Gonna use it like you say and keep the coyote low mileage.

Gonna have a look at the ole weight thingy later this week.