SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-02-05, 08:09 PM   #1
chewy22

Default Blue guages SV k3 on, How to.

url]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=49779&item=7949532 263&rd=1[/url]

Won this kit off the German e-bay site above on Sunday. So I should have the kit posted to me this week I do know that a few wanted this one sorted. It does come with instructions and I will get them translated for you all. Also I will now be able to get the correct value and amount LEDs you need to do the job. Bellow is a translation of the e-bay posting

They offer here on the original set with 8 high-quality blue LED'S. The installation is easily, also gift little relating to crafts, since a little must be soldered. Around the installation to facilitate we add still another detailed guidance with pictures into German. If you do not think yourselves the installation capable of, can we for you against 30? inclusive back dispatch via DPD take over.
Old 02-02-05, 06:09 PM   #2
Harris

Pleaee keep us updated, I presume You will be offering a simular kit at some point in the future ?
Old 02-02-05, 06:42 PM   #3
chewy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris
Pleaee keep us updated, I presume You will be offering a simular kit at some point in the future ?
I hope to do so.
Old 03-02-05, 11:33 PM   #4
chewy22

I dont know how to post pics but i do hope to put a kit togeather very soon instructions below. Just need to sort out a supply of the blue Surface Mounted Led'S.

Required tools and materials:
1. Soldering iron. The point must be small (e.g. pencil point) and the soldering iron should be as low powered as possible; the lower the better.
2. Fine solder which must be also as small as possible (0,25-0,5mm) in order to minimize the risk of damage to surrounding circuits.
3. The LED set.
4. An area free of static electricity.
5. A screwdriver to open the housing.
6. Time and plenty of patience!

We do not provide a warranty, since the changes you make are your own responsibility. If you cause damage it can be very expensive. Read all the instructions carefully start to finish before you begin. If you are not confident that you can complete the job then you can send us the tacho and the LEDs and we will do the work for you, by arrangement.

Remove the 5 housing screws on the back around the housing

Step 2:

Now remove the cover from the tacho.

Step 3:

Loosen also the two screws beside the tacho needle

Step 4:

Now you must remove the tacho needle. This is best done using two teaspoons as shown, to lift the needle out without damaging the face.

Step 5:

Since the display is not fixed in place, you can now carefully pull the white plastic cover out with the display.

Step 6:

Now remove the 8 old LEDs marked in blue in the picture by softening the existing solder. Proceed carefully, since the plate is easily damaged

Step 7:

Replace the LEDs with the new blue ones and solder them carefully in place. IMPORTANT: Pay attention to the polarity of the LEDs else they will not light.

Step 8:

Examine the soldered connections from step 7. Here you must check that not too much or too little solder has been used. Too much solder and you risk of short circuiting the other soldered connections, too little solder and there is a danger of fracture due to vibration.

Step 9:

Now you can re-attach the plastic lid with the display. The pins must be pressed in firmly.

Step 10:

Before you attach the needle again, you must re-fasten the two small screws either side of the needle. The needle can then be replaced in the 0 rpm position.

Step 11:

Re-assemble the tacho now again and re-install on the motorcycle.
Old 25-02-05, 07:08 PM   #5
chewy22

Full DIY kit with 6 sheets of instructions and pics now completed will be ready to post next week anywere in the world. Price will be £12. It will be added to my web page ASAP.
I will be offering a replacement service from here SORRY UK ONLY but just need a little more time to set that up. If you buy my diy kit and you are not happy to go ahead fitting them yourself then you soon will be able to send your gauges and LEDs back to me then and I will have them professionally done for you.

I will post up a IMG link of my bikes blue guages as soon as it added to my web page.
Old 25-02-05, 10:13 PM   #6
Baldyman

Yup, as tarty as it looks, I LIKE it.
Will be watching your site for the replacement service Chris
Old 26-02-05, 12:16 AM   #7
Carsick

I am so getting these done.
I've even convinced my grandad (electronics engineer for 50 years) to do the soldering for me.
I never could solder properly.
Old 26-02-05, 07:23 AM   #8
MitchC

Hey Chewy,

Are you charging for people to send you their guages? If so, how much?

Mitch

Keep your feet on the pegs and keep your right hand cranked.
Did your right hand write a cheque that your rear tire couldn't cash?

www.MITCHCAVE.com | I Do It With Twins
MitchC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-05, 09:17 AM   #9
Baldyman

Can anyone identify the part/piece/assembly (forgotten which American site has that fische facility ) 'cos I would need to buy something second hand, so that I can send Chewy the part needing soldering AND remain on the road?
Unless your grandad fancies a little production afternoon one weekend
Old 26-02-05, 11:36 AM   #10
Carsick

The part you'd need to send Chewy would be the entire PCB from inside the clock.
Would probably cost near the £100 mark to get a second hand one, if you can even get the board on it's own. I know I saw somebody pay £75 for one recently.

My grandad is only just persuadable to do mine for me, unfortunately.