SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-06-07, 10:39 AM   #1
plowsie

Default Earplugs (different)

Was going to post this in the thread i have just read about what people use.

Why do people use them? I don't use them, i might start using them if someone gives me a good reason. My Helmet isn't too good for keeping sound out i suppose but never wore earplugs.

Stu
Old 22-06-07, 10:43 AM   #2
richbeales

Default Re: Earplugs (different)

I use them because I love listening to music on my nice expensive HiFi and don't want to lose my hearing, my helmet is very loud over 50mph, it makes it easier to concentrate when it's quieter. They don't stop you hearing traffic or engine noise, but filter out most of the wind howl.
Old 22-06-07, 10:44 AM   #3
plowsie

That is what i thought, i use earphones sometimes for the tunes.
Old 22-06-07, 11:17 AM   #4
MeridiaNx

I use them because the statistics of what damage can be done to your ears at various speeds for various lengths of time are horrendous. It's something absurd like 5 minutes at 70mph before permanent damage is done without plugs IIRC (although maybe it was 100mph). Can't remember what helmet they use and obviously I don't know all the details of how they've worked it out but it seems generally pretty conclusive.

Used custom moulded plugs for the last few years, though recently I've noticed they aren't cutting out as much noise as they used to and one of them hurts like hell after a short while. Ear canals must have changed shape. Only don't use plugs if I'm staying within town, otherwise I always have them in, and for my pillions as well.
Old 22-06-07, 11:19 AM   #5
Giffer2

I own a Caberg trip or it's other name - My own personal wind tunnel!

I used plugs for an 80 mile trip on the M-Way and I have to say they are brilliant. After a 20 mile trip home from work, I get back to have a lovely feeling in my ears which takes a while to go away, the other week I woke up with a ringing in my ears which took a couple of hours to go - Now I won't ride without plugs - I like my hearing.
Old 22-06-07, 11:20 AM   #6
Tim in Belgium

I always wear plugs to avoid long term hearing damage. And would do whatever helmet I had.
Old 22-06-07, 11:22 AM   #7
Skip
Mega Poster

Cant ride without them now - its just so blooming noisy! You might think that you wont hear anything at all, but all they really do is get rid of the annoying wind roar - you can still hear the bike
Old 22-06-07, 11:22 AM   #8
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giffer2 View Post
I own a Caberg trip or it's other name - My own personal wind tunnel!

I used plugs for an 80 mile trip on the M-Way and I have to say they are brilliant. After a 20 mile trip home from work, I get back to have a lovely feeling in my ears which takes a while to go away, the other week I woke up with a ringing in my ears which took a couple of hours to go - Now I won't ride without plugs - I like my hearing.
You're not immune from hearing damage at in town speeds.
Old 22-06-07, 12:37 PM   #9
Toypop

I use them because I have seen advice recommending it and when thinking about it the wind noise must be loud if I can't hear the engine.

I have never been left with ringing ears after a ride as you do after visiting a nightclub or pub karaoke night which does make me wonder if it is over hyped but I consider it sensible to follow the advice of experts.
Old 22-06-07, 12:44 PM   #10
Tomcat

I was suffering ringing in the ears, for days. headaches all sorts. Starting wearing ear plugs, and am much better. Dread to think what damage I have already done tho.

Mind still struggling to find plugs that fit, most fall out, at least dont fit the same, so one ear feels different to the other !