SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-06-09, 05:19 AM   #1
grahamavcmhons

Default speedo and rev counter not working

The speedo and rev counter are both very temperamental on my missus`s W plate curvy sv650s. They have been like this for ages ( the bike used to be mine) but i have now decided its definately time to fix it .

I have searched a few threads on here and read about speedo drive teeth breaking quite regular however i would of thought this more likely an electrical fault as both speedo and rev counter drop off together at the same time, in fact they spend most time NOT working at the minute then just work intermittantly (both at same time) usually only for a few seconds every now and then. I have checked a few wires that i can easily see and my dad has had the front fairing off and checked behing there and couldnt see anything

Any help would be very appreciated as apart from this she loves the bike - much more forgiving than the zxr400 she had before .

thanks

Graham
Old 05-06-09, 09:26 AM   #2
davepreston

Default Re: speedo and rev counter not working

graham where you at as a friendly orger may be close and stop in to help you out
second thing is if worset comes to it you can get a vapour speedo off ebay £90 posted that is the dogs danglies (just got one for wifes naked) but you will probably find it will be an earthing problem (check all the points) or a loose conection around the head stock (get wiggleing those wires) so should be a easy if time consumming fix
Old 05-06-09, 12:35 PM   #3
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

I just had this with the BlackBird, right before it broke down.

The needles flickering on that ar ethe first indication of the reg/rec failing.

I am sure I've heard it mentioned that the reg/rec might be a bit ofan issue with the SV, I know Squirrel Hunter has had probs with his.. Could just be a loose/corroded wire

But SV owners will be around shortly and will say if I'm talking R's..

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-09, 10:10 PM   #4
Ginger 1

funny just started happening to me this week both drop off then come back on. When this happens fuel light blinks on too! It seemed to stop doing it when i turned the lights off- so may be a new battery needed?
Old 17-06-09, 10:55 PM   #5
maclovin

had same problem on 99 s tried all things reg conectors loom etc (must have stripped panels 20 times)only thing that sorted it was new clocks of for sale on here £30 just tring to save you time
Old 18-06-09, 11:36 AM   #6
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Does suggest electrical. Do the idiot lights work? And the lights in the clocks? Can you rig up your own earth wire to check that?
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-09, 07:28 PM   #7
grahamavcmhons

got some clocks for £9.99 off ebay . sorted the problem VERY happpppyyyyy