SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-09-06, 08:18 AM   #1
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default Riding in London

I've been riding for a while now, but mainly in the leafy bits of the south. I'm about to take my IAM test around Heathrow which will be a bit of a laugh so thought I'd take the opportunity to ride into work to get a bit of nasty town traffic riding experience. I'll be riding up the M3, A316 then some mystical route into Waterloo.

Apart from masking off the mirrors and most of my visor and just looking at a tiny strip right in front of me that way saving myself from being scared og the mayhem around me, I'm basically looking for any tips for rush hour London driving.

And would sticking a "Be nice to me" sticker on the back of my top-box cut any slack with the loony couriers out there or can I always expect to have one trying to get up my end can?

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 08:21 AM   #2
Jabba

Default Re: Riding in London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h
top-box

Sorry - I couldn't see anything past that word
Old 05-09-06, 08:22 AM   #3
Mark_h
Mega Poster

It's only to keep me trousers in. honest. I take it off usually.
Old 05-09-06, 08:54 AM   #4
Kinvig

Never done the M3 to A316 in push hour...but the times I've done it, its always been v.slow! Loads of pedestrians & the odd silly one way system to make you think.

Would probably do that route to the A3 (following signs to Clapham/Clapham Junction to get to the A3). Then following the A3 to OVal & taking the left at the junction there to Waterloo or taking hte A3 to Elephant & Castle & follonig the signs from there.
Old 05-09-06, 09:09 AM   #5
muffles

i passed my test and dived straight into commuting from tooting -> canary wharf, so hopefully that experience will help you...basically just take it slow, because it seems there's always a million things to keep an eye on/watch out for, i.e. not much 'empty quiet space'.
i also do things like never trusting going past a car on the left side unless it's stationary, and i find doing things like looking at drivers can help in certain situations - e.g. i need to pull in to a line of traffic i've been overtaking (junction, or something) if i look round at the driver behind they seem to be much more open to letting you in then if you 'barge' in without looking. funny, but i found it helps!
Old 05-09-06, 10:08 AM   #6
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles
commuting from tooting
I like it - sounds like a correspondent to The Times letters page
Old 05-09-06, 10:14 AM   #7
muffles

lol, no idea what it is you're referring to
Old 05-09-06, 11:14 AM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Just take it easy.Don't try to emulate couriers and other riders,as they are time served experts,or in some cases suicidal nutters.Also,it gets easier when you are familiar with your route.You get to know where it is safe to get it on a bit and where to hang back.You learn which junctions are booby trapped and where the busses do strange things.It takes practice,but it's not as bad as you would think.There's a pretty good supply of bike bays around the Waterloo area too.
Old 05-09-06, 01:41 PM   #9
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Thanks folks. Guess I'll have to take my brave pills and just give it a go. Next question is leathers and hastle of getting changed at other end or over-trousers and cook if it hits 25 degrees.

Cheers,
Mark