SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Soho Massive For the London based SV owners

Old 05-09-06, 08:19 AM   #1
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default Riding in London

I've been riding for a while now, but mainly in the leafy bits of the south. I'm about to take my IAM test around Heathrow which will be a bit of a laugh so thought I'd take the opportunity to ride into work to get a bit of nasty town traffic riding experience. I'll be riding up the M3, A316 then some mystical route into Waterloo.

Apart from masking off the mirrors and most of my visor and just looking at a tiny strip right in front of me that way saving myself from being scared og the mayhem around me, I'm basically looking for any tips for rush hour London driving.

And would sticking a "Be nice to me" sticker on the back of my top-box cut any slack with the loony couriers out there or can I always expect to have one trying to get up my end can?

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 09:56 AM   #2
Jester666

Default Re: Riding in London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_h
I've been riding for a while now, but mainly in the leafy bits of the south. I'm about to take my IAM test around Heathrow which will be a bit of a laugh so thought I'd take the opportunity to ride into work to get a bit of nasty town traffic riding experience. I'll be riding up the M3, A316 then some mystical route into Waterloo.

Apart from masking off the mirrors and most of my visor and just looking at a tiny strip right in front of me that way saving myself from being scared og the mayhem around me, I'm basically looking for any tips for rush hour London driving.

And would sticking a "Be nice to me" sticker on the back of my top-box cut any slack with the loony couriers out there or can I always expect to have one trying to get up my end can?

Thanks in advance,
Mark
We aren't all loonys!! Most of us are but some can be nice!!
Just watch your mirrors for fast approaching bikes and if they are faster than you do the right thing and let them through! Non moving slowers riders are such a p*** off especially the one who don't use their mirrors . Just relax and treat it as any other ride and you will be fine!
Old 05-09-06, 11:10 AM   #3
jambo
Mega Poster

As Jester says, move over to the left to let faster filtering traffic through and you'll be fine, just use a healthy dose of paranioa and you'll be ok.
Old 05-09-06, 11:38 AM   #4
Red ones
Mega Poster

So I guess the 'h' doesn't stand for Horridge!
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 01:27 PM   #5
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

riding in town can be exhilarating if you do it right

Make your presence felt in your lane and dont get bullied out by cars/vans/buses.
As the others have said above, you wont make friends with other bikers if you block a gap they can filter thru and many times its a good way to find if you'd fit thru it too. Let someone who looks very capable in the traffic be your lead and just kinda follow them thru the mess of cages and boxes that are blocking your way.

Watch out for idiots on phones...lots of them in London.

Lastly, enjoy
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 02:16 PM   #6
Sudoxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones
No that’s the "other" or Original Mark.

London is fun, play defensively and don’t give an inch to cars and trucks trying to push you out the way. Your get use to it.

Dan
Old 05-09-06, 02:20 PM   #7
Mark_h
Mega Poster

I'm just an interloper from the Guildford end of the world, but need access to the Soho turf.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 03:00 PM   #8
Red ones
Mega Poster

I am just getting ready to face the London traffic again - worth looking forward to it. If you think a gap is a little narrow, let someone else tackle it - if they can fit, then follow, only occasionally do you get stuck behind a numpty who couldnt get a bike through a bus sized hole!
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 06:26 PM   #9
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudoxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones
No that’s the "other" or Original Mark.

London is fun, play defensively and don’t give an inch to cars and trucks trying to push you out the way. Your get use to it.

Dan
Theres being intimidated and not getting anywhere and theres knowing when youre going to lose and its going to hurt. Its a judgement call. I cant explain but generally if you plan accordingly it all seems to work out - my encounter with van man was the rarity tbh.
Old 07-09-06, 08:21 PM   #10
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Riding in town:

1) Go for it.
2) Filter everywhere at every possible opportunity - in the annoying event that it looks like it won't be possible just push harder.
3) Cars aren't really traffic, just a sort of irritating mineral fog, once you've passed them your forward vision is restored.
4) Watch out for pedestrians, they're harder than they look, and boy do they whine.
5) If you've seen a gap it is big enough if you have faith. This works by magic I think.
6) Never, ever, play chicken with a bus.
7) If you see me refer to rule one in the highway code: I always go first.

HTH
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote