SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Guildford Massive For the Guildford Guys N Girls.

Old 05-09-06, 08:21 AM   #1
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default Riding in London

I've been riding for a while now, but mainly in the leafy bits of the south. I'm about to take my IAM test around Heathrow which will be a bit of a laugh so thought I'd take the opportunity to ride into work to get a bit of nasty town traffic riding experience. I'll be riding up the M3, A316 then some mystical route into Waterloo.

Apart from masking off the mirrors and most of my visor and just looking at a tiny strip right in front of me that way saving myself from being scared og the mayhem around me, I'm basically looking for any tips for rush hour London driving.

And would sticking a "Be nice to me" sticker on the back of my top-box cut any slack with the loony couriers out there or can I always expect to have one trying to get up my end can?

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 09:13 AM   #2
Demonz

tape - Eh?? You will need eyes in the back of your head without mirrors. Top Box - I think Jonboy and Treacle have them - not sure about the sticker though.

I used to do this route only through to Earls Court and its pretty quick. The only touchy filtering was through Richmond bridge area over the chevrons - watch for oncoming bikes and wide loads - stop if it looks dodgy. Also learn where the cameras are - theres a dodgy one hidden by the trees on the left before Twickenham stadium. The rest are easy to see. '

Good luck!!
Old 05-09-06, 09:54 AM   #3
Mr Toad

keep the speed down and your eyes open

if you ride like there was a copper on a bike following you, you won't go far wrong

start speeding, overtaking on zebra crossings, filtering like a courier, etc. and you're asking for trouble . . .

use your mirrors as if your life depends on it - 'cos it does
everytime you change lanes, or even position within a lane, especially if about to start filtering, check there is no speeding bike coming up fast from behind
Old 05-09-06, 09:58 AM   #4
Jester666

http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=44262 See my reply here!