SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-01-17, 01:14 PM   #1
Redmist

Default OMO! Time for new home printer!

Hi wise folks,

Its that time when I need to replace my inkjet printer and all the reviews are fine but none of them talk about the main issue that concerns me, such as how long the cartridges last AND their replacement costs.

Have any of you been thru this process recently and can guide me?

I've had an HP deskjet for around 6 years and worked ok but the cartridges SEEM to last for a minimal time, like 20-30 pages!

I'm sick of replacing them.

Thanks in advance!

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-17, 03:19 PM   #2
pookie

Default Re: OMO! Time for new home printer!

depends if you print colour photos. I moved over to a colour laser with scanner. Its a larger footprint but you can guarantee it will print whenever you need it without cleaning heads, changing cartidges etc. Be aware the printers come with basic toners but once you refill/ change you can leave it. Currently using a ricoh but have has epson models.
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-17, 04:39 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

cheaper to get pics printed at nearest booth.

i only ever print text so monochrome laser does me fine. toners last for ages especially if you do the shake trick.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-17, 04:54 PM   #4
Teejayexc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
Hi wise folks,

I've had an HP deskjet for around 6 years and worked ok but the cartridges SEEM to last for a minimal time, like 20-30 pages!

I'm sick of replacing them.

Thanks in advance!

I have an Hp printer and opted for their cheapest yearly replace ink plan. Had it for about 18 months now, print lots of black and white textile stuff and quite a lot of colour, both print and photo. All told costs me about £3.50 / month and when the ink needs replacing they send out new cartridges. Suits me sir.
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-17, 04:59 PM   #5
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Been using a Dell 1250c LED colour laser printer for the last 6 /7 years or so, prints everything I need - and fast as well, you can turn it on and print to it straight away. You can get third party toner cartridges (inksticks.co.uk) at less than half OEM cost and they work well - don't dry out like liquid ink and last a long time. Don't know if Dell still make the 1250c model but they do make newer models of their colour LED laser printer.

Canon make some cheap all in one printer & scanners for less then £40. At that price cheaper to buy a new printer than replace the cartridges.

ebuyer.co.uk is worth checking out as they have good bargains and daily buys.

As Bibio says printing photos at home is expensive, take a memory stick to Boots or similar.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 19-01-17 at 06:31 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-17, 05:51 PM   #6
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

If you have any in mind and want to check them against the Which? best buys then let me know. They have 45 best buys so lots to choose from.
Old 19-01-17, 06:21 PM   #7
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Unless it's changed since I left in 2013 Dell printers are re-badges, they don't make their own. We have an Epson photo printer and I'm fairly disappointed with the vibrancy of the prints. No idea on how long the carts last as that's Lady Poppy's department.
Old 19-01-17, 06:57 PM   #8
Kenzie

I think Epson do their own continuous ink systems off the shelf now. You get a large external tank and top that up. Only downside is the printer now costs £200 as they can't make their money off this replacement cartridges.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-17, 07:21 PM   #9
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
I think Epson do their own continuous ink systems off the shelf now. You get a large external tank and top that up. Only downside is the printer now costs £200 as they can't make their money off this replacement cartridges.
Yes, but it pays for itself very quickly if you use oem cartriges

I ran a epsom r265 with a continous ink system, the printer lasted about 10 years and i only got rid of it because i had to take it to a service centre to get it reset. The cis ink system cost me £53 and i still had ink left in the refill bottles. When youve got kids it pays for itself.

I bought another epsom, and straight away another cis system, but this one caused the toothed belt to skip, and i never got it to work, so i put it in the loft..

Then i bought a cannon, which goes through ink like nobodies business.

The epsom is going back into service once ive used up the canon cartridges. Ive removed to tubing that fed the ink from the tanks to the cartrides, and i will top up the ink either using a syringe or a bottle with a nozzle. The cartriges on the cis system have resettable chips to fool the printer its a new cartridge.

The whole printer ink is a big scam, id rather have paid a lot for a good printer with refillable tanks, rather than buying cheap and paying through the nose for cartridges, which only last for a few pages. Theres no way of checking how much ink a new cartridge has, and how long it will last.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-17, 08:37 PM   #10
SV650rules
Mega Poster

By volume printer ink is the most expensive substance on Earth .

The rule seems to be, if the printer is cheap it will cost a lot in ink and vice versa, pretty much every high volume printer will be a laser type both for speed and economy.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote