SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-06-07, 06:28 PM   #1
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Default Is my can road legal

I have an Akropovic can and due my first MOT in November, is my can road legal?

It was on when I bought it and being a girlie am not very good when it comes to the mechanics, I just sit on the black squishy bit of the bike and ride
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

RIP PC David Rathband sad day 29/2/2012
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 06:32 PM   #2
El Saxo

Default Re: Is my can road legal

As far as I know if it's got an 'E' marking it is road legal and should pass an MOT, but that may only be with a baffle fitted - e.g. my Scorpion is E-marked but is illegal for road use without the baffle.
Old 10-06-07, 06:36 PM   #3
keithd

what saxo said.

if in doubt keep or put the baffle in for the MOT, i've had a tester say if you've got it with you thats fine, another say it has to be fitted as i ride it in for testing
Old 10-06-07, 06:38 PM   #4
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Bugger you know what my next question is gonna be . . . . baffle? I don't know if it has one in or not, wouldn't have a clue what to look for.

Ahhhhhh got 'til November to find one hee hee. Can the baffle come out after or once it's fitted is that it. I like the sound of Zuky, she a noisey devil
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

Old 10-06-07, 07:18 PM   #5
rigor

Akro's that are road legal have and E mark printed on the end of the can just below the outlet. If your pipe had a baffle fitted at some stage there will either be a small hole in the bottom of the outlet tube (if the baffle is out), or a bolt in the hole which is holding a bit of metal in, which is your baffle.

Basically, if the end of your can looks like a smaller hole than the actual size of the outer part of the outlet, then you have a baffle in. If it is a big black cavernous cave from which emanates all sorts of lovely V-twin noises at about 110db, then it's not in
Old 10-06-07, 07:20 PM   #6
rigor

Baffle on it's own

Baffle in

Baffle Out

Old 10-06-07, 07:23 PM   #7
Alpinestarhero

Before you book the MoT, take it to the place your getting it tested and ask their opinon; they will pass a bike is its not excessivly loud.

Matt
Old 10-06-07, 07:26 PM   #8
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

The Blue Flame can on my SV has no marks on it what so ever, my SV has passed two MOT's with it fitted ( with the baffles in )

As long as its not stupidly loud and it isnt marked "Race Use Only" or "Not for Road Use" it'll be fine.

As said above, if you're not sure take it the MOT place you're thinking of using and ask them.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 07:51 PM   #9
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Thanks guys, just looked I have a baffle and an "E" mark so I am flying. Although I will consider taking the baffle out so she is even louder . . hee hee.

Old 10-06-07, 08:01 PM   #10
Rich
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellywoozle View Post
Although I will consider taking the baffle out so she is even louder . . hee hee.
It's the law don't you know , louder the better!!! It's also safer, you can get heard earlier and set off alarms to let everyone know your coming!!!