SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-05-05, 07:26 PM   #1
fred_dillon

Default Chain Lube

Hi, just bought an 01 650s, lovely yellow, with lowers, love at first sight!!
I have a chain question, the owners book says do not use commersal chain lube as it buggers the chain, sounds a bit odd. considering a Loobeman, or a scotoiler, or just stick to tins of spray,any advise, please.
Old 23-05-05, 07:31 PM   #2
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

well done Fred-
good choice - hope u r v v happy with her

not sure about the chain thing- cloggsy or rictus will tell u soon no doubt- or Jonboy--

all I can say is IMHO u need some candy grand blue nd get her the best colour- ortherwise she is fine

ride safe
Old 23-05-05, 08:10 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Use any spray chain lube that is suitable for 'O' ring chains, in practice this is all of them, I can't remember the last time I even saw a spray that wasn't sutable so you needn't be unduly cautious.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-05, 08:13 PM   #4
jonboy

Default Re: Chain Lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_dillon
I have a chain question, the owners book says do not use commersal chain lube as it buggers the chain, sounds a bit odd. considering a Loobeman, or a scotoiler, or just stick to tins of spray,any advise, please.
No it doesn't say that. It says don't use a chain lube that has solvents and only use one suitable for O-ring chains (which you'll find they all are if you look at the can).

I've used lots and have come to the decision that sticky chain lubes simply gather dirt and grit and grind away at your chain and cause premature wear (regardless of what the manufacturer tells you).

Wiping engine oil over the chain every time you ride it works fine but gives a lot of "fling" as does a chain oiler, though this is probably the most efficient way of lubing your chain you can use.

The best dry lube I've found is Wurth "High Performance Chain Lube" which is wax based but doesn't leave unsightly white wax everywhere and has zero fling and seems to do an excellent job - well worth trying:

http://www.wurthshop.co.uk

Old 23-05-05, 08:31 PM   #5
Well Oiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_dillon
Hi, just bought an 01 650s, lovely yellow, with lowers, love at first sight!!
considering a Loobeman, or a scotoiler, or just stick to tins of spray,any advise, please.
Congrats on your buy. You won't regret it. Bought my SV in March and haven't yet lost the grin from my face every time I ride it.

Mine came with a scottoiler fitted. Works fine and can be tucked away nicely in the gap between the rear panel and the pillion underseat compartment. PM me with email address and I'll send a couple of pics of it installed if you like.

As stated above, you get a few spots on your wheel from the fling-off (Drip rate can be adjusted if you get too much fling-off), but as long as you've got oil in it you can relax knowing your chain's looked after. It has a well oiled look all the time.

I think you can get em for about £65 if you shop around.
Old 23-05-05, 09:56 PM   #6
fred_dillon

Default Chain Lube

thanks for all info, first post and loads of help, great site, keep it up
Old 24-05-05, 07:56 PM   #7
svpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
The best dry lube I've found is Wurth "High Performance Chain Lube" which is wax based but doesn't leave unsightly white wax everywhere and has zero fling and seems to do an excellent job - well worth trying:

http://www.wurthshop.co.uk

I tried this after my bike shop told me it was the best thing out there. I found my chain used to go rusty at the first hint of rain. It seemed to lubricate the chain ok, but didn't seem to offer any protection against rust

I have opted for a loobman now. I would go for a Scottoiler if I wasn't on a budget (aka having a mortgage). It's a good feeling knowing your chain is being lubed as you ride.
Old 25-05-05, 11:14 AM   #8
richwill68

I use Kal-Guard chain kote. Been round the houses with chain lubes and it's pretty much down to personal preference. Dry lubes do let the chain rust, waxes are messy, grease types (Chain-kote) fling! Oilers are best value for money and performance. Over to you mate!
Old 25-05-05, 11:25 AM   #9
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpilot
I tried this after my bike shop told me it was the best thing out there. I found my chain used to go rusty at the first hint of rain. It seemed to lubricate the chain ok, but didn't seem to offer any protection against rust
Well it alll depends how often you look after your chain. I wipe it and re-lube after most rides and wipe the sides of the chain with a little oil on a rag. Not a spot of rust anywhere on my chain (and yes I do ride in the rain ) and it's sparkly clean.

The Wurth dry lube is wax based but for me works extremely well, you just need to apply it more often than an oil based sticky lube which of course is more expensive, but something I'm prepared to put up with as I rather like the product.

Quote:
I have opted for a loobman now. It's a good feeling knowing your being lubed as you ride.

Old 25-05-05, 11:29 AM   #10
Grinch

I've got a loobman too.. what loob do you uses.. as I've been using engine oil but its a bit to runny. I was just trying 1 part 'can' loob to 8 part oil to thicken it up but now my bike is mashed up.