SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-08-15, 06:03 PM   #261
Redmist

Default Re: Trackday project K3

Another sunday, another hill climb event.

I'd taken both my bikes to the event after getting a free entry after the weather ruined the last round. But I soon realised that the big bike was not going to help me to claim much needed points for the 650 bike. So after one run I left it alone for the rest of the day.

I went into this round with with a mind to just pick up where I left off last time with my times around 49-50 seconds and seeing that there was a decent entry into Class 4 (601cc-750cc) this round, I knew I'd have to be on good form.

The competition came from Pete Smith on an Old Norton who was straight into the high 49s or low 50s, and a fella (Sadly didn't get his name) riding James Cowtons Kawasaki Supertwin by mid day he was down to 49.4 seconds and getting faster.

For some reason, perhaps over confidence or a lack of riding time on the 650, my first four runs were pretty dismal, well in the 50s.
The bike felt far too "tippy" and could not seem to find grip with a new set of wet scrubs. I even put my foot down once at around 30mph on corner exit thinking the bike was falling over! That suprised my left ankle!

So halfway thru the afternoon I decided to stop caring about times and championship points and just try to enjoy the day as so far I was really not having much fun!

The second to last run I did much better, down to 49.47s and was actually smiling again. So it came down to the last run of the day.

I ignored the time sheets again and just went for it!
I grabbed a decent start and was bouncing of the limit of 2nd gear by the first corner, took some decent lean angle thru the corner but still felt like an age to get back on the throttle. Still I was carrying good speed, the next section is a straight with two kinks. I was at full chat and waited till the last moment to brake, coming out of the lean on the brakes the tyres squirmed and the back end was waggling about as I tried to find the entry point.

The entry was quick but was heading wide on the exit, again seemed like an age to get back on the gas, I was sure I'd lost a good time. But I put my head down again and ran up the hill, a small lift for the left up the hill and then back on it, into fourth gear by the top. I braked too early for the last chicane but that seemed to help me get it onto the apex better and then carried throttle thru the second part to eek out the last moment of acceleration before the line.

I saw the read out flash up a new PB of 48.39 seconds, and I screamed in my helmet, a huge flood of relief and enjoyment! That reminded me why I was even there in the first place, such a buzz when it goes right!!

I headed back down to pack up, still not knowing where I'd finished in the class. I headed to the office anyway to find out and amazingly I had claimed my first ever piece of silverware, a 1st in class!

The supertwin fella had pulled out a 48.8 seconds in the last run so I'd stolen it by 0.4 seconds. A great result to finish off a day of contrasts.

I'll be sure to start a bit cooler next time and start smooth, that seems to be the key!

The next round is in two weeks at Harewood house, should be a great event with a top class entry list. Still not confirmed if I've made it onto the restricted entry list but here's hoping.

Here's a couple of photos:

Trying to squeeze myself into an aerodynamic shape:

Taking home the cup, proud of the wee bike!

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-15, 08:29 PM   #262
Runako

Congratulations and well done!

Surprised you haven't got any video footage of these runs though. What's happened to the Gyro cam?
Old 17-08-15, 08:47 PM   #263
Redmist

Oh yeah oops forgot to add the video. No gyrocam because I struggle to find a decent spot for it when in hillclimb trim. But we've sold a few and its going well!

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Old 17-08-15, 09:01 PM   #264
JulesW

NIce piece of silverware, well in Mr Redmist
Old 17-08-15, 09:57 PM   #265
Runako

Ah good stuff. Nice vid. (Re Gyrocam) I'll wait till your's hit the shelves before I buy one
Old 18-08-15, 09:54 AM   #266
nutzboutbikes

congratulations! great ride.
Old 18-08-15, 12:07 PM   #267
Redmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runako View Post
Ah good stuff. Nice vid. (Re Gyrocam) I'll wait till your's hit the shelves before I buy one
Ha you'll be waiting a while then!
Although I'm not sure how much more convincing you need

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutzboutbikes View Post
congratulations! great ride.
Thanks, as you can see, still room to knock off some more!

Old 18-08-15, 02:39 PM   #268
mkr

Re-read your whole thread, brilliant. Congrats with cup!
mkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-15, 05:47 PM   #269
Redmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkr View Post
Re-read your whole thread, brilliant. Congrats with cup!
Thanks mkr, I've just re-read it myself and realised both the bike and I have come a long way!

The bike has been fantastic, no reliability issues ever and so easy to work on, hats off to it and long may she keep going!! All hail SVs!!

My riding from the first trackday at Blyton to now, has also improved so much. I still have such a way to go and loads of things to improve but it just shows if you take it a bit at a time, good things can happen!

Old 19-08-15, 09:16 PM   #270
r0ddy

you're going well there mate!
r0ddy is offline   Reply With Quote